Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2012, 11:05 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Bill a side note... When I've paid for Professional photos (or taken myself) and if I lose the listing, it expires or is canceled I delete those photos from the MLS and other websites. No use giving them away when you've paid.

I also shoot summer / winter scenic views in my area to post with home photos. Those are my "stock" photos that enhance a listing.
I do the same thing on my stock community photos. I think that's a good idea to delete photos from the listings. Most of my pics that are stolen are of my community and city that are taken from my community blogs that are on Active Rain and my web site. It's only recently that I ran across someone taking 4 of my professional photos of a listing.

Yesterday I spotted a large mortgage company that took my new listing from the Realbird feed and put it on Active Rain. Any link on the Realbird page went to the mortgage company. Then on the left side of the page there was contact information and a link to a discount brokerage firm.

Nowhere on the blog was there the required credit to the listing broker.

When I went to that mortgage company's ActiveRain archives, I saw that all of their posts for the last year were the same thing, where they steal a listing without the proper credit, and link to another brokerage, plus to the mortgage company.

Apparently Active Rain has not been looking closely at whether any company that is making "only listing postings" are using their own content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 03:14 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
But with a "boutique" brokerage there is never a need to climb the ladder, because you're working with the guy where the buck stops; and s/he is going to be extremely protective of his/her clients so there is never a need.

And at Chili's diner there are many experienced and incompetent help, that are there part time, making minimum wage, and many only last a few weeks. (A little shorter time than many new real estate agents working at the big boxes)
Bill, once again, you are speaking in the micro, rather than the macro. I don't have the numbers at hand, but I believe most RE/MAX offices have less than 25 agents. I know that there is one RE/MAX office in Louisville, KY with about 100 agents, another with 75, and the 10 additional RE/MAX offices share about 200 agents.

We are very much a boutique with national recognition.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:43 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
...RE/MAX offices have less than 25 agents. I know that there is one RE/MAX office in Louisville, KY with about 100 agents, another with 75, and the 10 additional RE/MAX offices share about 200 agents.

No you aren't. You are a super big corporation operating hundreds of franchise offices spending millions on marketing with national recognition. You can't have it both ways. I'm sitting at my desk on a Sunday morning because we may get showing instruction calls today while the Remax office up the street may or may not open today. They will kick my butt in total volume again this year but there's no way their clients get the level of service my mom and pop office delivers. I'm not bashing Remax. Just pointing out the mendacity of calling yourself a "boutique" firm. The Chili's/Mom's Diner analogy was spot on.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Bill, once again, you are speaking in the micro, rather than the macro. I don't have the numbers at hand, but I believe most RE/MAX offices have less than 25 agents. I know that there is one RE/MAX office in Louisville, KY with about 100 agents, another with 75, and the 10 additional RE/MAX offices share about 200 agents.

Remax franchises are "boutiques"???

Is it possible that the reason some of these offices are down to only an average of 20 agents is there is a shortage of agents in Ky; or is it possible that the other agents prefer to work with other companies. Just curious.

Remax at one time did some videos which in my mind should be a violation of the COE by running down "other" agents, even though they did not mention an agent or company by name. At any rate I think these videos stoop pretty low. It's ok when comedians run down agents in comedy parodies, but when a large franchise company does it to degrade their competition, it is a whole 'nuther story.

RE/MAX Reject - YouTube

RE/MAX Support Group - YouTube

Side Job - YouTube

And just for some Sunday morning fun, here are some ads that Ellen read on her show: I think these were Remax ads in disguise

Ellen Found the Funniest Real Estate Listings! - YouTube

Below is the type of parody on real estate agents in general, that is funny and acceptable, and in some cases (even with Remax agents) may be quite accurate. And these type videos that have been around for many years is probably what Remax was attempting to copy.

Irritating, Know-Nothing Estate Agent - YouTube

Last edited by Captain Bill; 11-11-2012 at 07:59 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 12:22 PM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
But with a "boutique" brokerage there is never a need to climb the ladder, because you're working with the guy where the buck stops; and s/he is going to be extremely protective of his/her clients so there is never a need.

And at Chili's diner there are many experienced and incompetent help, that are there part time, making minimum wage, and many only last a few weeks. (A little shorter time than many new real estate agents working at the big boxes)
But it's an issue when they don't know what they are doing and they have no boss to correct them. When they stop responding to calls or emails they don't have a BIC to call.
When I have issues with mom/pop places it's usually because they are bad or unethical and it ends poorly one way or another.

When I have those issues with a franchised agent I pick up the phone and have a conversation with their broker. That usually takes care of the issue. It's the same for public. That's why I say it's safer to go with a franchise if you're the public.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
But it's an issue when they don't know what they are doing and they have no boss to correct them. When they stop responding to calls or emails they don't have a BIC to call.
When I have issues with mom/pop places it's usually because they are bad or unethical and it ends poorly one way or another.

When I have those issues with a franchised agent I pick up the phone and have a conversation with their broker. That usually takes care of the issue. It's the same for public. That's why I say it's safer to go with a franchise if you're the public.
I haven't had any issues with any boutique agencies, and a boutique does not have to be only the owner. There are several small agencies around here where the owner has five or six really good agents because he hires selectively. So you have a broker to complain to if one of his agents screw up.

If you're dealing with a big box, the agent you're dealing with may be the BIC, who may also be the owner of the franchise. So what is the difference when you're dealing with the guy where the buck stops, whether it's a franchise of boutique?

Around here, the number of boutique agents and brokers are dwarfed by the number of big box agents. The only agents I've had problems with are big box agents who don't return calls, who steal my photographs, and I could go on and on.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:01 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,209,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Absolutely. btw Congrats.

I would choose Coldwell Banker but I'm biased!

Keller Williams; no leads, nice training program

Re/Max ; high desk fees and not really for a starting agent

Coldwell Banker: # 1 in real estate, leads, and training
spitlol at this review at even potentially being of value. of course, I lol at the last two pages also of folks bickering and name-calling.

If I'm going to generate 5 more leads a year, they need to be at full value - they need to be referrals to ME. a RELO lead where I pay a pretty penny, to do the same amount of work - and often more since some RELO person in Kalamazaoo has her TPR to file - not interested and not of value to me.

I work for a company/brokerage that is somewhere in between what I would call franchise (national recognition & structure) and boutique - one maybe 3 offices with only a locally recognized name.

I've worked for them for 2 years, having worked for a boutique that was bought by a franchise. So far, it has worked well - because of my BIC and my co-agents. As long as it works well, I'll be here. If it becomes a one-way street (me to them) then I'll think of other options.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The problem I see is that the new agent has to get the education after they get the license, and many are never prepared for that, and many don't get the education. We have people getting licenses just to buy a home and save part of the commission; and those who will do favors for relatives. These are agents who do not educate themselves and many are part of the problem we have in the industry.

Since education is required, whether it's before or after licensing, then why not make it before licensing, like every other profession?

Doctors, medical school, then license
Other medical technicians, medical school, then license
Welder, welding school
Electrician,
Plumber,
Mechanic
Lawyer,
Airline pilot (can you imagine an airline pilot getting on a plane with his "How to Fly" book under his arm)

I can go on and on, but this is the only profession I can think of where you get a license without knowing enough about real estate to practice it.

Dishonest agents are a different story, just as dishonest doctors, lawyers, etc.
Truly, we are involved in what is 95%+ of people's LARGEST FINANCIAL TRANSACTION in their lives. Think about that - especially in light of the last 4-6 years of value. It was one thing to make a 5% mistake when a house's value was rising 10% a year.

I am fairly certain that appraisers have an apprentice-like period. I am also fairly certain that a college grad can't go straight out and get his engineering PE. Are there circumstances where someone has the gifts and talents to be a successful agent from day 1, merely by obtaining a piece of paper license? Sure.

But we should all be in favor of higher standards, made by us and not those governing us.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
I haven't had any issues with any boutique agencies, and a boutique does not have to be only the owner. There are several small agencies around here where the owner has five or six really good agents because he hires selectively. So you have a broker to complain to if one of his agents screw up.

If you're dealing with a big box, the agent you're dealing with may be the BIC, who may also be the owner of the franchise. So what is the difference when you're dealing with the guy where the buck stops, whether it's a franchise of boutique?

Around here, the number of boutique agents and brokers are dwarfed by the number of big box agents. The only agents I've had problems with are big box agents who don't return calls, who steal my photographs, and I could go on and on.
you've got it really bad wherever you are then, because the big box BIC's here in the TRaingle area of NC won't put up with agents that don't return calls, etc.

I, for example on the other hand, sent an agent/BIC a long list of questions (including "How did you come up with 1,000 more square feet than the house had 5 years ago and there's been no additions?") on Wednesday and yesterday the agent/BIC of "Sunny Days Realty" ackowledged the existence of the list.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:12 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,310,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
No you aren't. You are a super big corporation operating hundreds of franchise offices spending millions on marketing with national recognition. You can't have it both ways. I'm sitting at my desk on a Sunday morning because we may get showing instruction calls today while the Remax office up the street may or may not open today. They will kick my butt in total volume again this year but there's no way their clients get the level of service my mom and pop office delivers. I'm not bashing Remax. Just pointing out the mendacity of calling yourself a "boutique" firm. The Chili's/Mom's Diner analogy was spot on.
Gee, you are so misguided, and severely uninformed. I, and every RE/MAX affiliate pay a monthly co-op fee to get that advertising. There is no, I mean NO, RE/MAX down. We, the owners of our offices pay RE/MAX to provide services to us, not the other way around.

Under your guise, every True Value Hardware store, every Subway Sandwich shop, and any other franchise business is "Big Business."

Again, you who are not RE/MAX are bordering on showing your ignorance. I am sorry that you feel the way you do, especally when the facts prove otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals