Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 03:54 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,675,536 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about getting an iPad specifically for MLS access while driving around (so it needs to be wireless not just wi-fi) and for listing presentations. I looked at Apple's website and there's a broker in Houston (?) using it for much more so I'll probably expand my apps as I go. Anyway, if you use one, how much memory do you have and is it enough? And, how large is your data plan (i.e. how much data does it eat up for fairly regular use accessing your MLS and other internet activity)?

I'll take any related advice to...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM

15,496 posts, read 40,201,810 times
You are talking about the Austin agents that use Evernote. Dean Ouellette has a good Evernote in real estate ebook. I am totally paperless and use the iPad for everything. I am grandfathered in for unlimited so I don't worry about my data plan but I would get a decent amount.

My iPad is the 64GB and I wouldn't get less personally.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM

Right. I sent them a message asking for the same info but have not heard back. I guess I haven't been keeping up. What is Evernote and what do you use it for? Do they have a real estate-specific app available in the app store? I know you are unlimited but do you have a handy way to see how much you are using? ATT doesn't have much of a choice but it looks as though Verizon has a wide range of plans.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:50 PM

211 posts, read 448,809 times
I use my IPAD all the time when I am out at properties. I bought it with cellular and 64GB. I also use it for basic email and my dd uses it to stream movies on netflix which a huge sanity saver if she is in the car with me.
I went with verizon and I think I am on an unlimited plan. I pay $50.00 per month but it is totally worth it. We are constantly streaming and on mls.
Have fun.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,530,939 times
An alternative to cellular in your iPad is to use your phone as a hotspot if that feature is available in it.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
An alternative to cellular in your iPad is to use your phone as a hotspot if that feature is available in it.
That was going to be my original plan but, according to my MLS tech support, that is not a good idea. We are moving to Fusion. I guess going thru the phone as a hotspot is too slow.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM

15,496 posts, read 40,201,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Right. I sent them a message asking for the same info but have not heard back. I guess I haven't been keeping up. What is Evernote and what do you use it for? Do they have a real estate-specific app available in the app store? I know you are unlimited but do you have a handy way to see how much you are using? ATT doesn't have much of a choice but it looks as though Verizon has a wide range of plans.
Evernote is a note taking app. I don't use it but some agents have developed a system for using it for transaction management. They have many real estate specific apps in the app store. I don't use very many of them.

My account doesn't tell me my usage. Sorry. Maybe one of the other agents that pays for a certain amount can share it with you?

Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,705,405 times
There is a Brokerage here in Austin that requires you to use an iPad if you want to be in their Brokerage. So much for independent contractor when you're "required" to do something, but their agents go for it.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:12 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,123,826 times
Test drive someone's iPad with your specific MLS system before you buy. My MLS is Innovia and it's a nightmare to use on my iPad. Some functions like a simple area specific hotsheet aren't even included in the mobile version. I have no idea how well other MLS systems function on an iPad but I assume (hope) many work just fine.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Test drive someone's iPad with your specific MLS system before you buy. My MLS is Innovia and it's a nightmare to use on my iPad. Some functions like a simple area specific hotsheet aren't even included in the mobile version. I have no idea how well other MLS systems function on an iPad but I assume (hope) many work just fine.
We use mlxchange. It doesn't work in Safari and it basically makes my iPhone useless for that purpose. They are planning to move the entire thing over to Fusion which can function in most browsers, I understand, and I can see a beta version of it on my iPhone. The problem is that it is too small to really see the true functionality. I could ask someone to let me try on their's but I don't know anyone who uses it 3G/4G so I'm still not really seeing it as I would use it. I'm also considering an Android tablet but I haven't begun to check out apps for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals