Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 AM

3,672 posts, read 10,585,817 times

Advertisements

I have not been in the business for a number of years, but I would always search for prospective properties based on my clients needs and wish list. If my agencies properties fit the bill, I would try a little harder on them as a courtesy to the people I worked with and hope that they would do me the same courtesy. If there were better fits, then those got more effort. My goal was to earn a living. I got paid on sales, regardless of the office they were listed at. At the end of the day, the buyer choses what they like and it won't matter if I like something better for whatever reason.

I have never had an agent change my mind about what I wanted, so why would I expect I could do that to someone else? The best I can accomplish is to make sure my clients are aware of the property features that meet their needs and can make an informed decision. The only extra I could get from selling my agency listing was office harmony and occasionally my broker would offer a small bonus if we sold one of his personal listings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 23,208 times
A large majority of buyers are searching online for many months before they approach an agent. Clients come to me knowing very well what they want to look at. So not only do I not want to try to steer them, I can't. And if they don't do their own searching, I will often go over the listings that fit their criteria with them before we schedule appointments. The order of our search is based on their criteria and then geography, etc.

I believe most agents desire lifelong clients that come back to them again and again. That comes from the trust developed when an agent puts the client's needs first. This is a great example of that. And I really like Cape Cods comments about it not even benefiting us to push our office's listings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals