Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:47 AM

204 posts, read 845,674 times

Advertisements

This subject was touched on lightly in another thread, so it got me thinking...

Do agents tend to show homes listed by their own agencies before those listed by other agencies? For example, if you had a buyer (yeah!!!) and found 10 homes that matched their criteria, which homes would you show them first? The ones listed by your agency or doesn't matter?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,693,761 times
When we were house hunting a few years ago, our agent definitely made a point of showing us homes listed with her agency first. We didn't really care, since it wouldn't sway us one way or the other. I did get upset with our agent when she didn't set up a showing for a house listed with Help-U-Sell, like we had requested. She said she forgot to call the Help-U-Sell office to set up an appt. We ended up looking at that house anyway. When we decided to make an offer on it, our agent was NOT happy. Needless to say, when it came to sell that house, we listed with someone else. I'm sure most agents aren't like this though. We've had plenty of positive experiences with other realtors!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:33 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
I typically map out our tour. I try to determine which homes are vacant and base the tour around that. I like to save those until the end in case we're running late. I also group homes geographically. If the listings of my office mates are at the beginning, it's because that's where they fit the best.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,001,123 times
We've had agents try to steer us to their listings a few times. Now we generally sit with them while they are looking through the MLS and I pay attention to the listing offices on the houses. I make sure we are not just seeing the office listings but looking at everything in our scope of properties.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:29 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,598,364 times
Default Not any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly622 View Post
This subject was touched on lightly in another thread, so it got me thinking...

Do agents tend to show homes listed by their own agencies before those listed by other agencies? For example, if you had a buyer (yeah!!!) and found 10 homes that matched their criteria, which homes would you show them first? The ones listed by your agency or doesn't matter?

Thanks!
Years ago, we would have listings that we were not only responsible for the listing but the sale as well. It doesn't happen too much any more except in high end exclusive property.

And as rrah said, I map the showings geographically (gas is how much!?!).

Old 10-15-2007, 09:35 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,756 times
I search by the buyers criteria, not by listing agency. It doesn't matter to me who has the listing if the house meets their needs. That's what an MLS is for - to pool the information and make it easier to search for homes for buyers.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:15 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,996,166 times
I do mine geographically regardless of who has the listing in mls. If I have a signed Buyer Agreement, I will include FSBO's as well if I know the seller is willing to work with an Agent (most are and are very nice about it too). I honestly don't like to work with the limited service or listing only agencies but I always include them if the home meets the Buyer's needs. Why don't I like them? I typically end up doing most of their work for the same amount of money. And they're all different as to what they offer. There are a few Agents who work for these companies that I love to deal with though. At least with a FSBO I know what I'm getting myself into.
Something to chew on.....selling the listings of other Agents in my office (not MY own), does not put more money in my pocket, only that of my Broker. I don't get a "cut" of the Listing Agent's commission or the Broker's cut if I sell an office listing. It does not impact my bottom line so there's no real incentive for me, and my personal bank account, to only show my office's listings. If I leave a listing out because it's doesn't "belong" to us and lose a commission because of it? MY BAD!
A co-broke is a heck-of-a-lot better than a no-broke. Broke is what I will be if I don't put my Buyer's interests before mine.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:50 PM

204 posts, read 845,674 times
Thanks for all your comments. They were a big help!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:32 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,840,588 times
I am the same as the above, I look for homes that meet the criteria of my client and go from there.

I will say though, that my office does office tours of our properties. Good for the sellers that they get feedback from all the agents that show up, and more agents view their property so they know what it offers in person, not just a pic on the MLS.

So, when a buyer walks in and gives me his/her criteria, and I just toured a home that matches that criteria, it comes to mind!! So, I will show them online and talk about it. If they choose, we will go and see it.

Shelly

Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 AM

631 posts, read 2,445,330 times
I have my customers sit down and look at the other brokers websites with me to see if any of those could work that they might want to see as I only have 3 homes for sale and some cabins. I would much rather show my own if I had a good inventory as the other broker does not accomodiate very well for a showing. It's always the 48 hour notice thing~ My buyers are on a plane in 48 hours going back home! It's a pain in the butt where I'm at to show someone elses listing. But we do try.
Another thing is a lot of times the listing is not clean. I'll have a buyer, then it's oh, by the way, there's a problem with this actually selling. I get sick of that too. I ask, then why the H3$%$%% do you have it on the market if it's not marketable!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals