Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 PM

5 posts, read 24,858 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how I should view this or handle it...

The listing agent contacted my client about 2 months after we purchased a property and suggested that "if my client needed to 'get out of the property', that he could help him sell it and 'might break even''.

The client happened to be a high school buddy of mine, so I wasn't worried about him poaching my client, but this seems very shady if not unethical or illegal. On top of that, the choice of his words... "if you need to get out of the property" and "I might be able break even", implies that my client bought a bad property or he paid too much, etc.

Does anyone know if this is illegal? Technically both of our contracts as the listing and the buying agents were fulfilled, but at the very least it is truly bad form... maybe worth a stern email to his broker about the situation?

What are your thoughts? Anyone?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,024,797 times
It might be shady but I don't see where s/he broke any laws or crossed any ethics.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,720,839 times
When that transaction is complete, any agent can contact that person to solicit business.

If you are still in a transaction, that is, you have the home listed, another agent cannot solicit that listing. However, another agent can contact the client while it's listed, to solicit a separate transaction. They can solicit the seller to offer a buyers agent service.

They just cannot interfere with your existing agency agreement.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:01 PM

I figured this much, I just felt slighted. I guessed I don't need to bother with it, my client just thinks of the other agent as a sleazy salesman now. Thanks for the replies.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,024,797 times
Well the other agent could have crossed a boundary if your client is on the do not call list

Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 PM

17,666 posts, read 29,540,339 times
Default We?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggamut View Post
contacted my client about 2 months after we purchased a property
You and your client bought a property together?
We (the editorial, not the royal) find that very strange.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:42 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,974,930 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how I should view this or handle it...

The listing agent contacted my client about 2 months after we purchased a property and suggested that "if my client needed to 'get out of the property', that he could help him sell it and 'might break even''.

The client happened to be a high school buddy of mine, so I wasn't worried about him poaching my client, but this seems very shady if not unethical or illegal. On top of that, the choice of his words... "if you need to get out of the property" and "I might be able break even", implies that my client bought a bad property or he paid too much, etc.

Does anyone know if this is illegal? Technically both of our contracts as the listing and the buying agents were fulfilled, but at the very least it is truly bad form... maybe worth a stern email to his broker about the situation?

What are your thoughts? Anyone?

Thanks
If that's the extent of the conversation, there's no "there" there. Had the client asked, "what do you mean?", and allowed the other agent to elaborate, and the other agent proceeded to step in it by dogging you, confessing some previously withheld material fact about the property, etc., you might have grounds for an Ethics Complaint alleging violation of the Realtor Code of Ethics.

But the other responses are correct. Once the deal closes, your "client" is no longer "your" client, and can be approached by and prospected by any agent.

Steve

Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
If that's the extent of the conversation, there's no "there" there. Had the client asked, "what do you mean?", and allowed the other agent to elaborate, and the other agent proceeded to step in it by dogging you, confessing some previously withheld material fact about the property, etc., you might have grounds for an Ethics Complaint alleging violation of the Realtor Code of Ethics.

But the other responses are correct. Once the deal closes, your "client" is no longer "your" client, and can be approached by and prospected by any agent.

Steve
My client said that the conversation was mostly about how He (the other agent) would understand if he wanted to "get out of" the property... and that he could "probably help him out so that he would "break even."

I guess what upsets me is that his language basically says that we were stupid to purchase the property at the price we purchased at... which is completely untrue... it was about $150,000 below list and about $15K below what comps told me it was worth. So my client definitely got a deal... there is money in there if he wanted to flip it and the other agent knows it... that's why he's trying to get my client to sell his house... and he's kind of implying that he got a bad deal and might need to "get out of it"... which couldn't be farther from the truth.

I'll just let it go... it's not that big of a deal... I'm just a little irritated by it.

Thanks all for responding.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,410,701 times
I don't understand the "we" part either. Nevertheless, (a) it would have been nice if your buyer told your high school buddy that if they decided to sell in the future, they would be listing the property with you. (b) you found out he's not your buddy. I believe there should be honor among agents.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:27 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,974,930 times
Quote:
My client said that the conversation was mostly about how He (the other agent) would understand if he wanted to "get out of" the property... and that he could "probably help him out so that he would "break even."

I guess what upsets me is that his language basically says that we were stupid to purchase the property at the price we purchased at... which is completely untrue... it was about $150,000 below list and about $15K below what comps told me it was worth. So my client definitely got a deal... there is money in there if he wanted to flip it and the other agent knows it... that's why he's trying to get my client to sell his house... and he's kind of implying that he got a bad deal and might need to "get out of it"... which couldn't be farther from the truth.

I'll just let it go... it's not that big of a deal... I'm just a little irritated by it.

Thanks all for responding.
Well, you're hearing all of this 2nd hand so you don't actually what was meant at all, or even said for that matter. Focus on getting your next buyer/listing lead, not this sort of drama.

Good luck!!

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals