Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times

Advertisements

The wife and i are shopping for our first house (first one for either one of us). We put an offer in last week on a house, and counter-offered a few times, but could not agree on a price that we felt comfortable with and that fit the market, so we walked. No bigge.. there are other houses. My wife felt our agent should have reduced his fees along with the sellers agent to make the sale. I guess i really don't agree with that. How many of you have ever cut your fees to make a sale? is it common? She has a girlfriend she works with that bought a house back in 2010. Both realtors cut their fees for the sale. But the house was only $79,000 to begin with so not much money was to be made upfront anyway, i am assuming.

Seems like your boss asking you to take a cut, so he can have a raise.

comments? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird2000 View Post
The wife and i are shopping for our first house (first one for either one of us). We put an offer in last week on a house, and counter-offered a few times, but could not agree on a price that we felt comfortable with and that fit the market, so we walked. No bigge.. there are other houses. My wife felt our agent should have reduced his fees along with the sellers agent to make the sale. I guess i really don't agree with that. How many of you have ever cut your fees to make a sale? is it common? She has a girlfriend she works with that bought a house back in 2010. Both realtors cut their fees for the sale. But the house was only $79,000 to begin with so not much money was to be made upfront anyway, i am assuming.

Seems like your boss asking you to take a cut, so he can have a raise.

comments? Thoughts?
You didn't think the house was worth as much as the owner thought it was. No Problem. Why would your wife think that someone else should contribute some of THEIR money, so that you can pay more for something than you believe it's worth?

Just out of curiosity, did you ASK the agents to cut their commissions, or did your wife think he should have just volunteered to do so?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
When she goes to buy a dress if she finds one she likes but doesn't want to pay what the store wants does she ask the cashier to chip in on it?

Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 AM

24,461 posts, read 17,203,514 times
My wife and I own a real estate company on Cape Cod and it is our company policy not to reduce the commision but we have on rare occasions to help put a deal together. It does depend on the deal however, the people involved, the time invested, the money at stake. What the public outside the profession doesn't understand is the work that is involved leading up to the closing. They all think we are millionaires so why not cut our rates.
One time at the closing table there was an issue and the lawyer suggested that the 2 agents work it out and my wife said how about you reducing your fees instead? he did.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I have cut my fee one time in 9 years as an agent. It wasn't at the start of the offer either. Something came up later in the transaction and I and the listing agent went down a bit to help the seller do a repair for my buyer. The seller was super tight money wise and my buyers were super easy clients so it was a no brainer to cut my fee.

I wouldn't cut it from the onset though.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:51 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I haven't done it much and I never do it if someone asks or demands it. I've done it twice that I can think of over a couple of hundred sales.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I only do that if my name is on the title.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:56 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
If buyer and seller are a couple of grand apart on a $200k transaction, I've offered to split the distance with the other agent. As the broker, I don't split my fee with anyone else, so I have far more latitude than a regular agent.

I don't care to do it, but I'd rather have a smaller slice of something, than not make anything at all. As the market returns to normalcy, I'm sure I'll be even less inclined to do it.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:30 AM

621 posts, read 1,614,589 times
She didn't ask our agent to do it but she mentioned her friends agent did it. Ours did mention that came up in a seminar he took a few weeks ago and said it does not happen that often and is happening less and less.
I would not like it if after I completed a project, my boss asked me to take a slight pay cut because he wanted more take home that week.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:37 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
My father would do it in a dual agency situation but only occasionally as an agent representing only one party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals