Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2007, 11:27 AM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times

Advertisements

Subject says it all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM

353 posts, read 996,100 times
The only "difference" is that a buyer's agent is legally bound to represent YOUR INTEREST AS A BUYER ONLY! If you were to go with a regular RE agent, they can also be representing a seller, and by law, they're obligated to tell a seller anything you as a buyer might "comment" on, in order to better serve the seller.

A buyer's agent CANNOT and WILL NOT do that.

I used a buyer's agent to buy my home, and would recommend her (and the firm) again, and again, and again!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:24 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,022,601 times
How would one go about finding a buyer's agent and is it a different process than finding a real estate agent in general?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:50 PM

109 posts, read 391,250 times
Most agencies will practice buyer's agency. I would act based on a reference
if possible. Ask around for someone who has had a good experience.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:30 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,868 times
A buyer's agent is a regular real estate agent. However, some agents have additional training in buyer agency and have the Buyer Agent designation from the Real Estate Buyer's Agent Council. The designation is ABR.

To find a member in your area: MembershipDirectory

Real estate agents represent the seller UNLESS you sign a buyer agency agreement with them. So finding a buyer's agent is as easy as finding a real estate agent.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghREA View Post

Real estate agents represent the seller UNLESS you sign a buyer agency agreement with them. So finding a buyer's agent is as easy as finding a real estate agent.
And once you find the real estate agent SIGN A BUYERS AGENCY AGREEMENT with them. Only then, do you have a Buyer's Agent that is legally obligated to represents you.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:58 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Any licensee can represent a buyer. Look for one with and ABR designation REBAC Home Page EBA's are exclusive buyer reps they don't take listings.

I prefer to work with both sides as clients. I learn things from sellers that help my buyers and vice versa.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:07 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
And once you find the real estate agent SIGN A BUYERS AGENCY AGREEMENT with them. Only then, do you have a Buyer's Agent that is legally obligated to represents you.
actually not true in my state. you can have a buyers agent and not have a signed exclusive buyers agent contract. As an agent I am legally bound to explain agency to the client and disclose in what capacity I am working. That disclosure will get signed, regardless of the type of agency I am working.

To the op, just about any real estate agent can and will represent you exclusively as a buyers agent. When you talk to an agent, ask them if they will represent you as a buyers agent. Unless you call the listing agent on a house they have listed. Don't do that...

Shelly

Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 PM

4 posts, read 14,572 times
Buyer's agent is the same as a real estate agent..........I'm one !

Old 10-23-2007, 03:39 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,787,290 times
I hold a national certification called CBR, Certified Buyer Representative. ABR hadn't yet emerged in this area when I took the coursework for the CBR. The NAR subsequently selected ABR as it's designation for buyer agency...

My advice to the original poster is to ask for recomendations from friends in the area who have used buyer's agents. If you haven't any who can make an enthusiastic recomendation, ask Real Estate Attorneys or local mortgage lenders in your area.
In my opinion, you'll know you've found a good buyers agent on the phone when he or she can happily offer a quick overview and disclosure of "agency" (meaning who represents who) in your state.

Throughout the country, buyer agency developed as a result of consumer demand, but the details of these agency practices (and consumer's choices regarding "agency" and laws) vary quite a bit by state. The agent's ability to communicate is important and communication about these issues is a great place to start. In my state, agency disclosure is required by law "at first substantial contact", which is an excellent benefit to consumers and the public in general.

Best of luck!
David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals