Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:36 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,881,464 times

Advertisements

put your current home up for sale, contingent on securing a home of choice in your new area. once you find that new home (hopefully while your current homes buyer is still patiently waiting), move through underwriting as efficiently as possible so you can fully commit to the new purchase (one of your final underwriting conditions will be the settlement of your current home, so you'll have to keep on that buyer too)

the new home contract will need to be contingent on the settlement of the first home. depending on the area you are relocating to, you may experience difficulty in getting a seller to play ball, as the sale of their home is technically out of their reach, as the buyer of your current home could fall into financing issues, effectively stalling/killing both deals..

good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 08:41 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,752,204 times
And I have never figured out where this "rent first" silliness comes from.

Ever try to rent an upper end home in a specific tract in a specific school district on a specific date?

And moving a good sized household even a mile?

I have personally moved a full family three times. From a sold house to a sold house.

I have participated in the move of a 100 or so people long distance. Generally on the receiving end.

Renting generally is a non-starter. There are cases where it works...ie partial moves where part comes and part stays for a while...or temporary moves where the intent is to go back after a period.

But as a basic strategy renting first sucks.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,463,198 times
Thanks for a couple of the responses, you know who you are because I repped you. Anymore suggestions will be appreciated.
I don't think the contigency clause will be a problem where we are headed. The homes there frequently are on the market for a long time. Here in California probably would turn off buyers.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:00 AM

11,822 posts, read 34,335,829 times
Talk to two or three locally recommended Realtors, ask them how to best coordinate your move.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:44 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,463,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Talk to two or three locally recommended Realtors, ask them how to best coordinate your move.
Who do I get the recommendations from. None of my friends are buying or selling.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,881,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Who do I get the recommendations from. None of my friends are buying or selling.
Your friends' friends.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:09 AM

758 posts, read 850,994 times
If you work with someone who knows the area in which you choose to live backwards and forwards, finding a new home is not a problem. Truly. Selling is more difficult than buying. I moved 18 times in 25 years with 4 kids in tow and never, never were we "homeless". We always sold first and then took a week or so looking at the homes a good realtor had based on our detailed criteria. As a real estate broker for over 25 years, I can relate to this problem and none of my clients have ever been homeless. Concentrate on the sale.....the buy will be easier, unless you are looking for the log home by the private lake with lots of trees, next to your church, close to town, newer with no work, a barn for the toys, no neighbors for $150k....that will take much longer.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,971,326 times
Not so much the case here right now. Sellers are starting to add the contingency to their listing "offer contingent on seller finding an acceptable replacement home". Much easier to sell right now than to buy HERE, but it's all local.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:32 PM

264 posts, read 615,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Not so much the case here right now. Sellers are starting to add the contingency to their listing "offer contingent on seller finding an acceptable replacement home". Much easier to sell right now than to buy HERE, but it's all local.

Agree with Nina here. We are swamped with buyers and one significant item holding sellers to their homes is the lack of inventory to purchase. The "acceptable replacement home contingency" is very common in listings now here in SoCal. Depending on where you are specifically, your home here will sell very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals