Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 01:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,669 times

Advertisements

Last year I made an offer to buy a condo. After inspection I found some problems and tried to re-negotiate the price but the seller refused. Recently I saw the seller put up a sign for private sale, can I buy his condo without seller's agent? I don't have my agent. The seller said it was safe to have the sale take place after 180 days from the expiry day of the contract beween him and the broker. Is it legal for me to buy even I have made an offer before? Can the agent come back to ask for commission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Unless you signed an employment agreement with the last agent, and it's still in effect, you are free to buy on your own or use another agent. The commission issue would be between the seller and their agent, not your problem.

I suggest at least considering that you get your own agent to help you.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 AM

115 posts, read 368,755 times
Why bring in a buying agent to help if its fsbo?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermac View Post
Why bring in a buying agent to help if its fsbo?
Why not? We used an agent when we bought our home and everything worked out well. If we had not had an agent and tried navigating those waters we might still be renting today. A co-workers son was trying to buy a home a couple doors down from me. Both parties decided to forgo an agent and do it themselves. For three months they could not seem to work it out. Since then both have gotten agents and moved on to other things. Our neighbor has listed her home and it sits for sale today. In that case my neighbor thought she could sell the house for a high price and save money without having to pay a realtor. The co-workers son wanted to save money also and figured my neighbor would pass on the savings to him or at least part of it.

I don't have the time or money to waste on a deal and prefer to have a professional handle it for me. In the end it cost less to do it that way.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:20 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Of course you can buy the condo. If the agent has any residual rights (which sounds unlikely), it would be against the Seller, not you. If you need help, it's probably cheaper and better to get a real estate attorney.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,669 times
Thanks all, I don't want involve any trouble because it's not my problem, from now I understand if we buy this condo so after protection days-180, should be safe?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 AM

32 posts, read 68,202 times
Again, as someone else said, the listing agreement is between broker and the seller NOT you. It sounds like you are unsure of yourself and as such YOU should get some sort of representation as a buyer , either a real estate agent or an attny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals