Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 12:27 PM

11 posts, read 20,328 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

I wanted some advice before I take a trip to Orlando....

I am enrolled in a real estate class and will have this completed by the end of next week leaving just the PSI to go. (I'm currently licensed in VA but only since Sept and we're relocating).

Anyway...I have some interviews with a few companies and bearing in mind how new I am to this I was hoping for some advice.

The companies I am meeting with are Exit Realty, Keller Williams, Century 21 and Coldwell Banker. Currently in VA I don't get much of a chance to use my license other than some rental showings for one of the agents there (I'm mainly employed there as an admin assistant) and so the thought of commission only income is quite scary as I've received no training on how to get up and running. My question is as a new agent are any of these companies better than others in terms of training and successful agents as I don't want to have to give up a career that I'm only just starting.

I know that real estate is all lead driven but will these companies be charging me fees from the start to work so effectively I'm not earning anything but paying them? And do ANY real estate companies pay any base wages at all (probably dreaming here but thought I'd ask). The other thing is that I'm also interviewing with a real estate company that mainly deals with timeshares on the scondary market and have stated their agents routinely earn $1000-$1500 per week. Does anyone have any information on this at all? The company is All Realty Services.

Sorry for the long winded approach, I just wanted to be prepared for what I'm potentiall getting into.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 06:08 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccijtb View Post
Hi Everyone

I wanted some advice before I take a trip to Orlando....

I am enrolled in a real estate class and will have this completed by the end of next week leaving just the PSI to go. (I'm currently licensed in VA but only since Sept and we're relocating).

Anyway...I have some interviews with a few companies and bearing in mind how new I am to this I was hoping for some advice.

The companies I am meeting with are Exit Realty, Keller Williams, Century 21 and Coldwell Banker. Currently in VA I don't get much of a chance to use my license other than some rental showings for one of the agents there (I'm mainly employed there as an admin assistant) and so the thought of commission only income is quite scary as I've received no training on how to get up and running. My question is as a new agent are any of these companies better than others in terms of training and successful agents as I don't want to have to give up a career that I'm only just starting.

I know that real estate is all lead driven but will these companies be charging me fees from the start to work so effectively I'm not earning anything but paying them? And do ANY real estate companies pay any base wages at all (probably dreaming here but thought I'd ask). The other thing is that I'm also interviewing with a real estate company that mainly deals with timeshares on the scondary market and have stated their agents routinely earn $1000-$1500 per week. Does anyone have any information on this at all? The company is All Realty Services.

Sorry for the long winded approach, I just wanted to be prepared for what I'm potentiall getting into.

Thanks!
Orlando is a large city. There are hundreds of excellent brokerages to affiliate with.

If you were to open a consignment store, if you were to open an insurance office, or if you were to start a construction company, you'd need to purchase equipment, pay rent, utilities, and so much more.

If you plan on being successful in real estate, you must realize that you are an independent business owner. You can choose to join a firm where the broker "loans" you a desk, training, and other amenities, and you'll pay high interest in the form of greater than necessary commission splits.

Here is a seldom quoted fact, rookie and neophyte agents who join RE/MAX to start with have a much lower wash out rate than rookies who join any of the list of firms you named. Most RE/MAX offices offer more than just pay as you go programs.

My point, don't exclude RE/MAX in your search. Each RE/MAX office is independently owned and operated. Some Broker-Owners accept rookies, and many don't. Just enjoy the search. You'll learn lots.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 AM

11 posts, read 20,328 times
Thanks for the reply, I haven't ruled out ReMAX I didn't get an interview there. Maybe ill contact an office and see if they'll meet with me...

Old 03-23-2013, 11:00 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccijtb View Post
Thanks for the reply, I haven't ruled out ReMAX I didn't get an interview there. Maybe ill contact an office and see if they'll meet with me...
I am in no way saying that you should go RE/MAX. I am simply suggesting that you talk to as many RE/MAX offices as will talk to you. While she's not in your market area, I recommend that you contact Heather Holliday with RE/MAX Elite in Stuart. Go buy her lunch and let her help you plan your real estate career.

It will be the best pay day of your life.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:19 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Basically, you will be renting your desk space from the office, so yes indeed, you will have to pay from day one.

I suspect that training is going to vary from individual office to individual office. Choosing by the chain isn't the best approach. Go and sit down with the realtor who owns the office and give him an interview, including questions about what training is provided.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
I'd do the following:

1) Figure out where you're going to be living.
2) Focus on the Brokerages that are active/dominant near your new home.
3) Interview with companies that have enough agents/listings that you'll be able to do open houses.
4) Consider accepting lower split for lead stream at first, such as being a buyer agent on a Team with a lot of listings.

At first, like all new agents, you'll have excess free time and not enough leads. Use that time to become very familiar with the subdivisions in your target radius. Preview lots of homes. Find the neighborhoods that are selling well at or near the median home price for the area, with good schools. Learn the schools, amenities, etc.

Then hold open houses there each weekend to start picking up buyers.

Good luck,

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals