Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 07:44 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,491,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
The part about not wanting to chat with you until licensed, but certainly willing to blast you with emails.

It wasn't a slam against KW, as much as it was a slam against human nature.
I found that spam from KW a MAJOR turnoff from the brand. My mentality was that of a very serious career move, for which I was planning on making a significant expenditure of time and money. Their mentality was more inline with my experiences with MLM. I was looking for nuts and bolts of business as a realtor. The reality of how difficult it might me, BEFORE I make my next moves.

I supposed they considered an unlicensed person pretty much a waste of time, beyond the recruiter emails. The KW emails were such a turnoff, that I just checked and I found I deleted every single one of them.

On the other hand, the actual Broker, the head honcho of the Coldwell Banker office, deigned to make an appointment with me, sat with me in a conference room, gave me a nice portfolio of the perks of Coldwell Banker, let me ask questions and take notes, spoke to me of the market conditions, was open to me being part time as long as I took their first two weeks of training, and gave me a full tour of the office himself.

It was a considerable investment of his time, that I appreciated as a person who will potentially aid in making him money. I could see how it could be a waste of time, but I guess he was the type of person that was willing to take that risk.

KW's angle was to not bother with me until I actually was in a position to make them money. I now know all about the CB nuts and bolts and still don't know much about KW, and really don't give a hoot about KW anymore. How you treat potential agents, is how you treat agents is how you treat customers.

I am licensed, and really just need to hang my license somewhere to send referrals. I am not in a position still where I can jump in full time as an agent. I simply don't have the savings. I suppose I should contact the CB office and see if I can hang my license there just for referrals.

I am continuing sticking with my part time jobs (3 of them now, I'm such a slacker) to try to save more money. I have been looking to get into leasing, property management, community association management, but with zero experience in RE (but with experience in sales and financial services) I am not getting any calls back even for receptionist positions. I have to keep plugging away in the PT jobs in hopes one will lead to full time and more savings ability.

Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 AM

8,540 posts, read 12,291,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can anyone recommend a good real estate course online? I'm thinking of getting licensed in case I decide to go into the business.
You should check your state's web site for licensing and course requirements. Some of the real estate schools listed may offer online courses.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 PM

4 posts, read 6,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
If you haven't done so already, read the information on the state's web site regarding real estate licensure. You can find a list of approved real estate schools and courses, salesperson license requirements, and steps needed to obtain a real estate license. You can find all this and more at:
LARA - Real Estate Brokers & Salespersons

In Michigan, you need a sponsoring broker to obtain a real estate salesperson license (the wall license and pocket card are actually mailed to the broker), so you might as well check into who might be willing to accept you as a licensee prior to taking a prelicensure real estate course.

EDIT: It looks like Delta College is the closest place to you which offers prelicensure courses.
This was incredibly helpful!!! Thank you so much!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:09 PM

695 posts, read 3,401,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryMaeFlowers View Post
This was incredibly helpful!!! Thank you so much!
MerryMae,

As a recent rookie in the business (I was licensed a little over a year ago), and being a Michigan agent, feel free to PM me with any questions or advice on some brokers. I work in the Detroit area. Good luck

Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM

109 posts, read 324,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Guess I should stay away from Keller Williams then. They didn't want to see me until licensed. But they were happy to have their recruiter spam me with rah rah emails for months. The broker at Coldwell banker sat with me for at least a half hour to chit chat and gave me tour of the office himself. As it is I have been licensed for 2 years and have yet to pick a broker.
I think that would depend on which Keller Williams office you contacted. They all have a team leader responsible to talk to and recruit new agents. I speak from experience. I went into my KW office and spoke with the team leader about a month before I got my license. I was already taking the course necessary but I hadn't sat for my exam or passed the course..

Old 04-25-2013, 07:07 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,491,074 times
I could not make an appointment to meet until I had the license. Of course I didn't consider just walking in at the point. But its a moot point now.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:09 AM

335 posts, read 668,374 times
I do not have a lic. Have had great success. I was offered a paying Internship with Sothoby's and Chase, while I attend RE school.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:36 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,270,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
I do not have a lic. Have had great success. I was offered a paying Internship with Sothoby's and Chase, while I attend RE school.
There is no such thing as a free lunch. Know and understand the terms and conditions for any payment from any broker (including myself) before you commit or sign any contract.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 AM

335 posts, read 668,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
There is no such thing as a free lunch. Know and understand the terms and conditions for any payment from any broker (including myself) before you commit or sign any contract.
huhhhhhhhhhhhhh -----
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals