Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:37 PM

15,498 posts, read 40,206,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Because the other code issues are unknown and unknowable until demo is done.
You keep asserting the work is unquestionably a small job. I don't agree.

If the still unknown scope of work can be done for something less than the small claims limit... fine.
Investigate, assess, get the quotes... then see where it stands.
What am I missing? It is a basement that was built by the builder of the house and then the homeowner finished it via contractor or themselves. The buyer said they could see that the basement had cosmetic issues that they were willing to tackle themselves. We are talking wiring, insulation, sheetrock, texture and paint. What code violations do you expect to see under there that would need further work?

If the homeowner had framed out the basement, I'd agree with you that it would be more complicated but that doesn't sound like that is the situation here. The builder built it got the CO, then, my guess, the homeowner tried to be handman guru and stunk at it.

I always tell my buyers to be leery of clearly bad work. You never know if you have to rip down the walls to correct something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 PM

17 posts, read 89,798 times
@ MrRational ... thank you so much for seeing what is plain as day. I am amazed at the number of people who are advocating for this inspector and feel that my husband and I did something wrong. We hired this inspector to be our "visual" person and inspect the home with the primary goal of determining whether or not there were any issues we should address with the seller. In light of the fact that we have now found out we will have to tear out walls, etc. in the basement we are very disheartened by this experience. If you cannot trust the inspector to at least tell you there may be a problem and recommend additional inspection or testing what is the point in having one. Thank you again for your ability to see what others could not ... EVEN our inspector.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 PM

The studs are hammed in flat instead of raised like studs usually are. I do not believe a builder would have done this. But, even if they had, the seller would have been required to pull permits so that the rough framing, electrical, plumbing, and finished basement would have been inspected. Sorry, I do not believe this applies.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:08 PM

That's is very true but it ONLY applies when there is NO issue and this surely is not one of those cases.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 PM

The "owner" is responsible for paying triple the fee permit costs. WE are unfortunately the owner.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:12 PM

I do not believe small claims court will work for this......TODAY we found out we will probably have to gut the basement down to the studs ....the same one used to support the higher purchase price we paid the seller. THAT will be VERY expensive and far more than $7500.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Demo out here could easily be done by a homeowner and out here it wouldn't even come close to $5k for a contractor to do it. Out here the whole thing could be done for $7500. 900 square feet to re-sheet rock and texture would be around $2k. Most homeowners can paint. I would do what I would need to do to keep the corrections under $7500.

We paid at least another $48K for the value of this basement .... if it has to be demo'd back the studs ... WHY would we paint it ... not about to happen.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 PM

I think you are missing the BIG picture. It is NOT just a small amount as you state. We are faced with first not being able to get any electrical work UNTIL the code violations are corrected. Once the inspector determines there were no previous permits pulled believe me he/she will go haywire and request tons of other stuff. I got this DIRECTLY from three different electricians who work with these inspectors EVERY day.

Yes, we knew about the drywall status but we did NOT imagine it would get to this. That is WHY we hired a inspector. I don't know what is so difficult to understand about that.

I simply came to this board and posted to ease my mind. For a minute, I thought MAYBE I was really losing my mind. I see others are in agreement so I guess I am gonna be okay.

BTW, the construction company came today and is it going to cost us about $12K to demo, do the electric correctly, and then have the basement put back together again. So you are wrong in your assumption.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 PM

Thank you. That is EXACTLY what we are doing. I sure hope that OP is not on the jury or we will be screwed over again!

Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 PM

Arbitration only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals