Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 AM

959 posts, read 1,823,743 times

Advertisements

We put an offer in on a house last Saturday morning. We got a call that afternoon from our realtor that the seller signed and accepted another offer the night before but that they would keep our offer as a back-up. Ever since then, the house is still on the MLS and listed as with contract - waiting for earnest money. This would be the 4th business day since they signed the offer and the buyer still has not given them their earnest money?

We are ready to go and would have written a check for the earnest money right away after acceptace of our offer and we have financing all lined up already to go. We even sent them a pre-qual letter from our bank with our offer.

So as an agent, how long would you let this go before you would contact the back-up and start with them? We would really like to get this house but it kills me to keep seeing it just sitting there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 01:22 PM

244 posts, read 747,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
We put an offer in on a house last Saturday morning. We got a call that afternoon from our realtor that the seller signed and accepted another offer the night before but that they would keep our offer as a back-up. Ever since then, the house is still on the MLS and listed as with contract - waiting for earnest money. This would be the 4th business day since they signed the offer and the buyer still has not given them their earnest money?

We are ready to go and would have written a check for the earnest money right away after acceptace of our offer and we have financing all lined up already to go. We even sent them a pre-qual letter from our bank with our offer.

So as an agent, how long would you let this go before you would contact the back-up and start with them? We would really like to get this house but it kills me to keep seeing it just sitting there!
I require check in hand at time that i present the offer to the seller. Without the check the consideration is missing and it is not a complete offer without consideration.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
This is a contractual obligation, so whatever the buyers specified in their offer is what is correct. I typically request 2 business days after contract acceptance so I do not have to "run" over to the title company with a check.

If the other buyer has not deposited their EM, the seller will need "cure" the problem by informing the buyer that they are potentially in breach. All this could take several days, so 4 days is not too long. But I would definitely keep my eye on it, maybe even contact the listing agent to inquire and let them know you are still ready and willing.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:21 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
The Texas contracts don't have a date. It's an unwritten "time is of the essence". It states "upon execution," but there is no deadline. Earnest money is not needed at offer presentation. Offers are submitted via email these days (in most markets) and it's silly to run around town to present a check that might get a big "V-O-I-D" written across it.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Yeah, this is a pretty regional specific question. My MLS doesn't even have that option. Earnest money has to be received at the time of lease signing and deposited with 24 hours of acceptance of the contract unless something is written in to the contrary.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Here (Central Texas) the earnest money check is taken to the title company with the offer and receipted; that's what "upon execution" means, if all parties have agreed and signed off on the contract, it is executed and the check had better be there or there's no contract. That is the deadline.

Standard practice has been that a copy of the earnest money and option fee checks are sent with the offer to the listing agent along with the pre-approval letter to show that the buyer's agent has done their due diligence on their clients and has those in hand. A good buyer's agent has that earnest money check to the title company and receipted the same day as the executed contract is delivered to the title company. What IS stated, however, is that the option fee must be delivered (to the seller or the seller's agent, NOT the title company, and most of those have stopped accepting them due to liability issues) within two days, or there's no option period.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:26 AM

Interesting - thanks for your responses. I had my agent email the sellers agent letting them know that we are still interested and have all our ducks in a row. She has not heard back from him - so maybe things are moving along on their end. Or maybe they are telling the buyer to get their money in.

This agent was really on the ball with everything so I don't think he would just not update the MLS if they got the money. It does not seem like something he would do since my agent was always able to get a hold of him right away and he updated the MLS pretty much immediately upon accepting the offer. So we will see!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:49 AM

51 posts, read 166,446 times
I would continue to look for another property. If things fall through, and you haven't found another property, you can accept that offer at that time. I've learned to tell my buyers not to get emotionally involved in a property until they know it's theirs for sure.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-Bay Area View Post
I would continue to look for another property. If things fall through, and you haven't found another property, you can accept that offer at that time. I've learned to tell my buyers not to get emotionally involved in a property until they know it's theirs for sure.

Totally agree. In fact, we are writing an offer on a different house today. I look at it with the "if it is meant to be, it is meant to be" attitude.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 AM

51 posts, read 166,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
Totally agree. In fact, we are writing an offer on a different house today. I look at it with the "if it is meant to be, it is meant to be" attitude.
Wish you the best, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals