Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:40 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times

Advertisements

I'm in central Texas and I hear daily about this downturn in the real estate market here.....but the agents I know personally say it's a bunch of baloney.
What is the real story? This is typically a slow time of year for real estate in Texas, but has this sub prime shake up and mortgage problems really hurt sales that much more? or are realtor here just trying to keep positive and say it's a temporary thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
The local inventory levels and # of units sold YOY (for the past several years) should tell you how the market is doing.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:20 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I'm in central Texas and I hear daily about this downturn in the real estate market here.....but the agents I know personally say it's a bunch of baloney.
What is the real story? This is typically a slow time of year for real estate in Texas, but has this sub prime shake up and mortgage problems really hurt sales that much more? or are realtor here just trying to keep positive and say it's a temporary thing.

In what area are you in central Texas? We can probably dig up the stats for you, as we are a very pugnacious and relentless group. We'll dig up the "truth" for you.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
In what area are you in central Texas? We can probably dig up the stats for you, as we are a very pugnacious and relentless group. We'll dig up the "truth" for you.

Thank you Magellan! San Antonio/Austin area. I'm not a realtor, but my business depends on the housing market. I'd LOVE a straight answer!

(love the word "pugnacious")

Old 11-03-2007, 09:24 AM

238 posts, read 763,077 times
I can't speak for SA, but in Austin inventory is going up, and sales are falling. Prices are coming down.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:28 AM

982 posts, read 3,306,686 times
Hi wCat - I'm an agent in Round Rock (just north of Austin).

We are going through the annual slowdown, and although I don't think the subprime/mortgage shake-ups have affected us that much, I think we're in a wait-and-see time. The perception of what's going on has had an impact, IMHO. It's definitely on everyone's mind. Folks visiting open houses usually have a comment or a question about it.

The closest indication of mortgage problems I see are the listings for homes that are less than three years old and are over $200K. On the other hand, I'm seeing 'starter' home sales chugging along rather well. Overall, it's not a bad picture. We're in a buyer's market IMHO, but not another tech bust by any means.

If you need a stat, feel free to PM me.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:29 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times
What is funny, is that both Austin and San Antonio are attractive cities. Any downturn is going to be temporary. Investors should keep the market pretty hot until a subprime substitute comes along.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:28 AM

11 posts, read 27,270 times
Is it a good investment to purchase a home in San Antonio those days? buy in cash, No mortgage, rent it for now and hopefully sell it in the future.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:10 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Thank you Magellan! San Antonio/Austin area. I'm not a realtor, but my business depends on the housing market. I'd LOVE a straight answer!

(love the word "pugnacious")
Here ya go.

Austin*:
Sept. 07 compared to Sept. 06
Sales are down 23%, (2586 to 1993)
Inventory is up 17% (9097 to 11,379), and at Austin's highest level ever
4.7 months of inventory, longest since Jul. 05 (but not a bad number)
Prices are up 10.6%

San Antonio**:
Sept. 07 compared to Sept. 06
Sales are down 19% (2245 to 1817)
Inventory is up 40.5% (9169 to 12,884), and also at SA's highest level ever
6.3 months of inventory, longest since Oct. 1998
Prices are up 7%

Dallas***:
Sales are down 20%
Inventory is up 3%
Prices are up 6%

Houston****
Sales are down 15%
Inventory is up 15%
Prices are level

* Austin Housing Sales, Prices and Listings

** San Antonio Housing Sales, Prices and Listings

*** Dallas Housing Sales, Prices and Listings

**** Houston Housing Sales, Prices and Listings

You can also look up other Texas stats on there. Just go over to "Home Sales" and click on that link to see other stats. The info is put together by the Real Estate department at Texas A&M.

That's really strange about Dallas, because according to this article, Dallas was up .7%:

Home prices falling faster, Case-Shiller says - MarketWatch

Wonder where Case Schiller got their data?

Last edited by magellan; 11-03-2007 at 03:42 PM..

Old 11-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMY View Post
Is it a good investment to purchase a home in San Antonio those days? buy in cash, No mortgage, rent it for now and hopefully sell it in the future.
I'm not so sure about this Tomy. There are a lot of people that have come out from Clalifornia and did just that....bought 2-3 homes for what they sold their home for on the West Coast. There may be some appreciations slowly, but what it's done is put a glut on the rental market causing rental properties to have more competition and have to lower prices. That's a good thing for longtime residents who have struggled with the increase in rental properties recently. Some areas are off the charts.....but they're now facing reality and too much inventory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals