U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:42 PM

9,473 posts, read 8,067,569 times

Advertisements

The square footage for our home is listed as 450 sq. ft. smaller on Zillow than what the bank's appraisal listed when we purchased the home 9 yrs. ago. I see that Zillow can be edited by the owner and I wonder if I should change the square footage when I'm ready to sell. (My property taxes are based on the lower figure.)

Will my seller's agent use the tax records (smaller size) or the bank appraisal (larger #) on the MLS? I was wondering if using the bank appraisal size could cause a problem with the sale, i.e. maybe it was incorrect? I know the house is larger than the size listed on Zillow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Status: "Looking forward to President Harris" (set 17 days ago)

15,599 posts, read 23,462,001 times
Default Ignore Zillow

You can claim ownership and change the data.
And, you should.

But, you need to learn to ignore Zillow.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM

36,720 posts, read 40,860,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
But, you need to learn to ignore Zillow.
Brilliant Advice !

Old 05-22-2013, 11:58 PM

51 posts, read 146,713 times
You should consider getting it re-measured. If the tax records are incorrect, then this incorrect information will be used in the MLS. Do you have any type of addition that is unpermitted?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 AM

983 posts, read 932,504 times
Zillow lists our house as having 3BR's when it has 5.

Zillow also lists 2 bathrooms when we actually have 3 full bathrooms.

I could care less what is on the Zillow site regarding our home personally

Old 05-23-2013, 12:53 AM

9,938 posts, read 8,750,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The square footage for our home is listed as 450 sq. ft. smaller on Zillow than what the bank's appraisal listed when we purchased the home 9 yrs. ago. I see that Zillow can be edited by the owner and I wonder if I should change the square footage when I'm ready to sell. (My property taxes are based on the lower figure.)

Will my seller's agent use the tax records (smaller size) or the bank appraisal (larger #) on the MLS? I was wondering if using the bank appraisal size could cause a problem with the sale, i.e. maybe it was incorrect? I know the house is larger than the size listed on Zillow.
Zillow says I bought my house about 10 years ago for $150K.

I bought my house 14 years ago for much more than $150K.

The $150K was the HELOC we qualified for back in 2003, and just did it to have it.

Zillow does not know it's hiney from it's elbow.

I'm not selling anytime soon, so I could care less.

You might want to "claim" your home and change all Zillow has wrong, because some people DO use Zillow as fact/gold/end all be all.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:16 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,211,418 times
Zillow has my home listed as a two family when it is not now and has never been a two family - LOL

Take Dave Barnes advice and ignore Zillow.

Zillow is not some group that goes out and does research, verifies research and then posts it on their website What Zillow is a advertising syndicate type thing that takes information offered to it in return for advertising rights and publishes it as gospel.

That means anyone paying Zillow can submit info and see it in print. This is why it is inaccurate. Nothing is ever vetted for accuracy by people who know what they're doing prior to publishing.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:37 AM

9,473 posts, read 8,067,569 times
I don't care about Zillow. What I'm concerned about is that when we put the house on the market this summer, people will look the address up on Zillow and think the house is smaller than it is. I notice that most homes that are on the various sites, like Realtor.com, seem to use the tax records to list the square footage. The tax records are incorrect in my case (and others in my neighborhood, I think).

Do real estate agents now measure the home when they list the property? Or do they just use the tax records (which in my case are incorrect). I want the larger size listed on the MLS.

Also, the number of baths is incorrect. What I think must have happened is that when the basement was finished, a bathroom was added. I don't know if a permit was taken out when the basement was finished by the original owner many years ago. There are no additions to the first or second floor.

I can change the Zillow listing, but am concerned about repercussions if the appraisal ordered by the bank when we purchased the home 9 years ago somehow has a larger square footage than what really exists. Don't want to be sued by the next buyer of my home.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,211,418 times
Easy to solve problems

When realtor comes to list house, tell them you want them to measure it and you'll help them do it. To figure out the square footage of living area, appraisers and tax assessors use exterior perimeter dimensions - length x width . Garages, unheated enclosed porches, decks, patios, etc. don't count as living area.. Nor do below grade basements, finished or not. With your agent & a measuring device, figure it out.

Only above grade bathrooms should count when describing the house living area . A basement bathroom should be included in comments about the basement. Example-- If someone is looking to buy a house and wants two bathrooms, they're likely thinking of a guest bathroom and a master bedroom bathroom. Not one main level bathroom and one basement bathroom.

If you don't know if the basement bathroom was permitted, then find out. Call the local building official.It sounds as if it was completed many years ago and may be grandfathered in. Check with the building department.

Why would an appraisal you had done 9 years ago have any bearing on anything going on in the near future ? No one but you knows anything about that appraisal. All that is going to matter is what square footage will be used when a listing and a new appraisal is done when you sell.

When you sell and the appraiser comes to inspect the house, be home- same thing as with your real estate agent, tell him or her you want them to measure the house. Make sure they do it. Real estate agent & appraiser should come up with very similar square footage.

Why would anyone sue you ? Over some stupid Zillow poor information. They have nothing to sue you for. You're going to tell them, this is how a house is measured, this is what my agent and your appraiser came up with when we measured - anything else is erroneous.

If you're worried about info in the assessor's office- call them. Ask them to come out and re-measure your square footage of living area. There are many mistakes in assessor's records for a variety of reasons.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:52 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,972,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Zillow lists our house as having 3BR's when it has 5.

Zillow also lists 2 bathrooms when we actually have 3 full bathrooms.

I could care less what is on the Zillow site regarding our home personally
These exact kinds of errors on Zillow were, in my opinion, what allowed me to buy a dream (for us) house for 20% under comps in a tight market. We were one of two bidders on a property that should have had a dozen or more. I firmly believe people who just cruise Zillow saw a 3BR for the price (it's a 5+) and passed. Good for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals