Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
One reason is safety - safety of the seller - there often is sensitive information in the MLS planos (when they are home, when they sleep - kids at home - stuff like that)
In the open MLS's I've seen, there are at least two versions -- the agent's version and the public version. For example, where I am from, and often search the (open) MLS -- the agent's version shows commissions payable and that info, when the house can/should be shown, who to contact, etc.

The public version does not show any of that. I've been told that can be controlled, however, I don't know that to be a fact. I know I've listed with MLS's and there was certain info I wanted agents to see but not the public and it's always been to my satisfaction. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 06:05 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
In the open MLS's I've seen, there are at least two versions -- the agent's version and the public version. For example, where I am from, and often search the (open) MLS -- the agent's version shows commissions payable and that info, when the house can/should be shown, who to contact, etc.

The public version does not show any of that. I've been told that can be controlled, however, I don't know that to be a fact. I know I've listed with MLS's and there was certain info I wanted agents to see but not the public and it's always been to my satisfaction. Thanks.
The biggest reason is personal information and safety. Many MLS' (each is independent and may have different rules) require agents to have background checks done prior to being allowed to join. You don't know you can trust and who you can't. You definitely don't want to advertise which homes are vacant, when someone is on vacation, that sort of thing to the public. If a buyer wants to shop on their own they have Realtor.com which feeds off of MLS.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:31 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
I really appreciate the comments on my original thread and look forward to seeing more. Perhaps those who would like to discuss the MLS issues could start a new thread since there seems to be a lot of interest in it. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:02 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Please, you must remember that one reason, just one, that a seller lists with a REALTOR is the issue of security and safety - if I were an owner, I would not want my address plastered all over the internet for any Tom, Dick or Harry to come knocking on my door. Also, I would want my agent accompany any buyer who expresses interest -
Once a home is listed in the MLS any real estate company can list it on their website along with the address for everyone to see all over the internet. And some people still go up to the homeowners door even if it is listed with a realtor.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
The biggest reason is personal information and safety. Many MLS' (each is independent and may have different rules) require agents to have background checks done prior to being allowed to join. You don't know you can trust and who you can't. You definitely don't want to advertise which homes are vacant, when someone is on vacation, that sort of thing to the public. If a buyer wants to shop on their own they have Realtor.com which feeds off of MLS.
Does not the lock box record who was there last showing the home as well?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:13 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
That makes perfect sense and security, safety, etc. is and should be tantamount and above all else. I always, always asked about this, early on, when I had MLS listings. Many of the properties were vacant, seasonal in some cases, or something of the like. That's why I said the "two version" aspect was a key feature.

How much, generically, does Realtor.com "feed off" MLS? I am sure it's different and varies vis a vis geographics. Thanks again.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
One reason is safety - safety of the seller - there often is sensitive information in the MLS planos (when they are home, when they sleep - kids at home - stuff like that)
Saftey? Anyone can use a realtor to see a home and come back later once they know the address?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Saftey? Anyone can use a realtor to see a home and come back later once they know the address?
You are correct, but now we know who's been in the home. The lockboxes in my MLS do record showings. Realtors aren't the end all be all of safety but we are a buffer. Someone isn't going to be that elaborate trying to break in. Most agents require the buyer to get prequalified up front before showing properties. That's a good deterrent but in the end a criminal is a criminal. They'll break into a home whether listed or not, and most won't bother going to such efforts to get a showing first.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EANJ View Post
How much, generically, does Realtor.com "feed off" MLS? I am sure it's different and varies vis a vis geographics. Thanks again.
Just your basics normally: address, size, BR, BA, lot, style, construction, age, etc. With the enhanced version you can customize the description, put in multiple photos, virtual tours.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 PM

8 posts, read 19,969 times
After selling my home in Cal a few years back, I realized what a racket the realtors have going. I wanted to sell the house myself, FSBO, but was told by so many people that I was going to have a hard time, including the lawyers I contacted. Not because it would have been difficult to sell (the houses were getting 20-40 bids in one weekend), but because almost all buyers use an agent, and the agents would blacklist my property, and not even make it known to the buyers. My brother sold his own home in Portland, Oregon, with a lawyer writing up the papers. Totally easy to do. No problems. I had to pay a ton for basically very little effort. It REALLY pisses me off, especially because I have trained for my own career since childhood, and still put in much hard work and effort ALWAYS to hone my skills, as a classical violinist. Very schooled, educated on many levels, and a hard worker. As well, the money invested (check out prices of the good instruments, like buying a house)....my brother a doctor, felt the same way. He works his butt off, and school was on going and tough. Realtors don't school, persay, but learn the basics, take a test, and they are off and running, if they are smart, making a heap of money. It is a scam in my opinion, and yes, I believe they are an unnecesssary greedy evil for the most part. Now if they would charge a fair percentage, I would change my mind. But they won't. They take advantage of people, like corporations. And people I have known that do real estate, and are sucessful at it financially, have a personality that glosses over moral values. LOL, I even hired a Christian real estate agent, hoping he would be honest. He had been around for a long time, family owned business, many generations. He sucked. Lazy and did the least he had to do. Very manipulative. Most of them were. They will lie, they will cheat, they will stretch the truth to make a sale...most of the ones I have met are not good people,IMO Even the most honest stretch the truth to suit themselves when they are selling your home. They just want the big fat check. It isn't like the profession makes the world a better place. Let's face facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals