Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tish Thompson View Post
I hate to sound like a commercial but I'm about to sound like a commercial. I have been in your shoes, except that when I had to make real estate work, I was a single mom supporting three kids by myself. I was laid off from AOL after being there for 10 years. Thankfully, I listed to that little voice that I usually ignore and I obtained my real estate license a year before losing my full-time job. I was with a traditional brokerage and pretty much spent my first year feeling like I was being taken advantage of. I worked my but off for $35K that first year BEFORE taxes. I got a sweet layoff package which helped me greatly after I lost my job. My second year in RE, I switched to another brokerage. I kid you not, within 30 days I had completely different results than I was having at the old brokerage. I made 6 figures my second year. The new brokerage taught me how to be a business owner. Instead of guessing how this is done or copying what another agent does and not knowing why...the new brokerage helped me create a plan. You need to either get with a brokerage that will teach you how to run your business, find a coach that will work out some type of payment plan with you...or find an agent who is willing to mentor you.

I feel for you. Like my coach told me when I was struggling, the quickest way to get the naysayers off your back is to start making money. Find someone to help you...and try not to talk about real estate with your wife unless you absolutely have to
I'm not in the Real Estate business (in fact, I'm retired), but this may be one of the best pieces of advice I've ever read on these forums. BRAVO!

PS - Tish, you sound a bit like the realtor we used to sell our last house - and she was the BEST realtor I've ever used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not in the Real Estate business (in fact, I'm retired), but this may be one of the best pieces of advice I've ever read on these forums. BRAVO!

PS - Tish, you sound a bit like the realtor we used to sell our last house - and she was the BEST realtor I've ever used.
Well thank you JK! I greatly appreciate the compliment!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals