Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:14 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmproperty View Post
This is my first post here. That is really a funny experience. I was just wondering how “professional” answer this simple, easy and basic question.
Of course this contract is void. First of all, a contract is formed on the acceptance of an offer and communication of the acceptance. When seller sign an offer, ” same time” the buyer changes his mind, this contract is not formed yet because there is no communication of the acceptance.
Second of all, if the buyer refused to deposit the earnest money, this contract is a void contract because it does not meet all of the required elements of a valid contract and, therefore, has no legal effect.
Instead of anwer your question, those "professional" just like to teach something out of the question.
And now the backtracking begins. Please don't act as if you knew the answer all along because it is clear you did not as evidenced by your current post.

The contract was not void, your buyer was in default. You had legally competent adults, offer and acceptance, consideration and the signature of both parties. Your buyer just did not want to fulfill what they agreed to.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:57 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Quote:
First of all, a contract is formed on the acceptance of an offer and communication of the acceptance.
Florida's real estate flashcard basics:
Quote:
Term:Offer and Acceptance. Contract is formed by acceptance of an offer and communication of the acceptance.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,874 times
Default Oh, I know! "The Gift That Keeps on Giving"

Quote:

Again, my party is over. Please play around to other place. Unpolite people is not welcome in my post.

Quote:
This is my first post here....

Instead of anwer your question, those "professional" just like to teach something out of the question.
There's a phrase that describes this contributor.... it's on the tip of my tongue....

Old 08-11-2013, 08:04 PM

324 posts, read 714,520 times
Quote:
Hi, I am a realtor in Florida. I represent a buyer place an offer for a townhouse and seller accepted it. Almost at the same time when the offer became a contract the buyer changed his mind, he refused to deposit the earnest money to escrow account. Is the contract void automatically?Thanks
If you really are a realtor - you would know the answer.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 PM

324 posts, read 714,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
And now the backtracking begins. Please don't act as if you knew the answer all along because it is clear you did not as evidenced by your current post.

The contract was not void, your buyer was in default. You had legally competent adults, offer and acceptance, consideration and the signature of both parties. Your buyer just did not want to fulfill what they agreed to.
Buyers back out of contracts all the time. Buyers remorse. Or they heard something deterimental about the property. If you didn't collect the deposit and open escrow right at the start - that's his bad.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 PM

502 posts, read 896,256 times
I can understand the OP being confused and needing advice. Being a new agent is intimidating. What I find more frightening is that her BIC didn't know how to answer the question. My greatest suggestion to the OP is to find a new office with a knowledgeable BIC and really good training and education.

As to the original question...the issue is whether the acceptance of the offer was communicated to the OP BEFORE she was able to communicate withdrawal. The original post was not especially clear as whether or not that had happened. She indicated that their was a "contract" but that could have been a matter of using the wrong word. If that was true, then her client was in breech and it's a good think he changed his mind.

And, just my two cents worth - considering the newness of the OP without the support of a competent broker behind her and the flakiness of the client - I will be shocked if this transaction makes it to closing. It sounds like the client needs a lot of hand holding and educating through out the process.

OP - please find the best agent in your office and ask for help in getting this transaction to closing - for your sake and your client.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:17 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawknest View Post
Buyers back out of contracts all the time. Buyers remorse. Or they heard something deterimental about the property. If you didn't collect the deposit and open escrow right at the start - that's his bad.
I realize buyers back out of contracts all the time which is what I said, the buyer is in default. The contract was not void as the OP suggested.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:15 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pema5033 View Post
Hi, I am a realtor in Florida. I represent a buyer place an offer for a townhouse and seller accepted it. Almost at the same time when the offer became a contract the buyer changed his mind, he refused to deposit the earnest money to escrow account. Is the contract void automatically?Thanks
If you're a realtor, why didn't you get the earnest money at the time of the offer? That's SOP.

You must have a broker. You can ask him/her what the rules of your state are.

This whole thing sounds extremely off. Why would you be asking this type of question on a forum?

Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I guess the OP realized posting such a question on a public forum could hurt her business. She's changed her user name.

Lesson 1--the internet is permanent.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
"non performance". Don't take it any farther. It's not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals