Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
Well, if the bedrooms are small and you aren't happy with what would be your master just let him know that you are going to have to take a room all to yourself because it's so small and he can keep his stuff in the great room if he wants it.

Seriously, as long as the rooms are at least 9x10 I think leave them the way they are because that's enough for a child to stay in and a guest. Now, if the house is wide enough and the land deep enough to add on a master suite with a family room or screened in porch next to it then that would add the most value. However, it depends on the size of the lot you have and the budget you are going to put into it.
This morning I did think about adding the master and great room. You're right it certainly would add the most value. There are so many ifs right now I couldn't even begin to figure out a budget. The biggest if is the job. I think the yard is big enough (.25 acres - smaller than what i have now but it's waterfront). I also don't know what the restrictions are (if there are any).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
I'm posting this here so I can get feedback from the agents. Hypothetical question: Your buyers are thinking about purchasing a home, that as it stands now, is too small for their needs but there is enough yard space to add on. What would add more value to the home (ranch style, 1000sf, 3 small bedrooms, 1 bath): adding a master bedroom with private bathroom and then converting one of the original bedrooms into a "man room" or keeping the 3 small bedrooms but adding a great room.
Disclosure: I am a realtor and also an interior designer
with that being said

An addition of a master suite is ALWAYS a good choice especially when you have small rooms
instead of adding on the bathroom
consider this

adding on the space of the bedroom with an adjoining sunroom or 3 season porch
turn one of the small bedrooms into the Bathroom and closet area for the master
remember to use high end products in the master bath...it is a small area that will pack a huge punch with all the bells and whistles

Old 11-13-2007, 10:12 AM

582 posts, read 2,009,594 times
Ooh, that's a good idea, I never thought about turning a whole bedroom into a master bath before... that could be fun!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
Disclosure: I am a realtor and also an interior designer
with that being said

An addition of a master suite is ALWAYS a good choice especially when you have small rooms
instead of adding on the bathroom
consider this

adding on the space of the bedroom with an adjoining sunroom or 3 season porch
turn one of the small bedrooms into the Bathroom and closet area for the master
remember to use high end products in the master bath...it is a small area that will pack a huge punch with all the bells and whistles
That IS a great idea. Thank you. I'm going to suggest this to my hubby.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Think seriously about adding more than one bath. At least a bath and a half. Conversion of a bedroom to a bath is a good idea unless you need the extra bedroom.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 AM

True, if you can find a place for that half bath as well and can afford it that is always good... my husband didn't want a house unless it had that half bath so that guests didn't have to use a bathroom that our future children would be using or go through our room.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 AM

Since it's just the two of us (no children for us) I think having 2.5 baths is a little excessive but i really do want 2 baths (always wanted my own master bath).

Tried to talk to hubby about my ideas last night. It didn't go nearly as well as I thought it would. He's completely crazy. There's another house on the market in the same neighborhood that's exactly what we're looking for but more than we want to spend (we can afford it we just don't want to spend that much) when i mentioned even with the additional money spent on the addition this would be less, he got all stupid/upset because of the amount of money the addition will cost. he's all pissy because the additon will probably be half the cost of the house. He's COMPLETELY CRAZY! Actually asked me who I was trying to impress with this big addition. GRRRR!!!!

I keep telling myself not to get worked up over all this. It's too early. My god we're still waiting to hear from his interview. I just hope he's not crazy like this when it's really time to look for another home.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:55 AM

Yikes! He might just be stressed out waiting to hear back about his interview. My advice would be to let the topic go for now and when he gets his job (sending positive vibes for you and him) you can broach it again. Guys are strange when they are nervous. If he gets the job and you can seriously look into building the addition, get some rough estimates from contractors (who might be able to give them to you over the phone if you describe what you want) so that you can show him that it is a better deal to buy the cheaper house and build on rather than spending more for the already completed one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals