Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:22 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times

Advertisements

I surely would like to have the chance to prove my coaching and managing to some of the above respondents!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 09:03 PM

231 posts, read 1,142,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The office my wife works in is terrible and she avoids it at all cost. A bunch of catty women and non-producing agents sitting around nosing into other peoples business trying to steal clients or gossip and waste time. These losers should stay home and do some prospecting instead of just hanging around the office doing nothing.
funny how that never changes....was the same 10 years ago....again, no one ever made a fortune sitting around the office waiting for the phone to ring. We also had people that used to hang around waiting to snag floor time from people who don't show up or show up late. We had an old agent with the patience of Job that would sit at his desk for hours on end waiting for floor time slots to open up per people not showing up. Many would call him asking to cover for floor time. He made a good living for a retiree solely from up calls, but that was seven years ago. By 2003, people were just calling listing agents directly from signs and realtor.com, and floor time became almost a dinosaur overnight. After that, even retirees with nothing to do didn't bother taking it.
To sum, the office is the great time-waster bar none......

Old 11-15-2007, 10:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The office my wife works in is terrible and she avoids it at all cost. A bunch of catty women and non-producing agents sitting around nosing into other peoples business trying to steal clients or gossip and waste time. These losers should stay home and do some prospecting instead of just hanging around the office doing nothing.
Man does that sound like my very first real estate office. 1979. I used to show up at 8:00 and everyone else showed up at 9:00. Guy calls and wants to sell his house and I started to play the Tommy Hopkins game with him (I'd just been to a seminar) and the guy says get over here now! I take the listing below market with FHA VA terms on it. I think I still have the scars from the fingernails of the angry housewife real estate agents. Man they were competitive! Sold it that night for the market price with agents and clients in the cars outside.

I knew I'd never be able to work or manage a place like that, I'm sorry to hear they still exist.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:24 PM

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks to all who have shared their stories. Hope more come.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:45 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
For perspective - I'm the broker

My office has desks / cubicles available. Non are assigned however. Most of my agents work out of their home offices and come in when necessary to turn in paperwork etc. I do have some however that come in religiously everyday as working out of their home distracts them.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:03 AM

166 posts, read 856,025 times
I have an office at the brokers and a home office. I use a transaction management system and store everything as electronic forms. That way, I have everything in either location. If I receive something at the office that I need to see at home, I email the clerical staff a bar-coded cover sheet and have them fax it to me. This sends it to my email and to transaction management. Since I live 20 minutes from the brokers office, this saves me from having to run into the office or hang around waiting for documents.

The majority of my work is done from home. I have the office at the brokers so I have a place to work in between appointments, a place to leave the paper files. We do occasionally get floor calls which are transferred to my cell phone if I'm not in the building.

I think it's important to spend time at the brokers office. It gives you the opportunity to interact with other agents, promote your listings, discuss ideas, etc etc. Maybe our office is unusual - we actually work together, help each other. Of the 65 agents, about 20 of us are there either every day or on a regular basis. Those 20 are also the most successful, if you measure success in transactions and dollars.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:54 PM

Amazing how the common thread is that no matter where people work, the value of the office is seldom deminished.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 18,336 times
Hi, i am doing an A-Level Design project and I would be grateful if you could follow the link below to my blog where I have written a few questions to help me with my research section

My project is to create a workspace for study using space that already exists so no additional space is needed, this is likely to be done by using existing bed space so that the bed can be used as a chair. The desk would also be designed to be stored away, possible against a wall.

If anyone casn give me any advice, it would be very helpful

//www.city-data.com/blogs/397549-dtproject.html

Thanks

Michaela

Old 08-23-2008, 11:52 AM

5 posts, read 18,336 times
Hi, i am doing an A-Level Design project and I would be grateful if you could follow the link below to my blog where I have written a few questions to help me with my research section

My project is to create a workspace for study using space that already exists so no additional space is needed, this is likely to be done by using existing bed space so that the bed can be used as a chair. The desk would also be designed to be stored away, possible against a wall.

If anyone casn give me any advice, it would be very helpful

//www.city-data.com/blogs/397549-dtproject.html

Thank you

Michaela
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals