Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy5 View Post
i am going to university here soon, and i will probably study business administration, but i might do something else, i don't know, but i am only doing a degree as a back up plan if i fail at selling real estate, is that good?
Get the degree first. Good employers won't even look at you if you don't have a degree. So without the degree you won't even get your foot in the door. To sell real estate, you don't need a degree of any kind, so you can always jump in at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Chernobyl
zero competition

Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,518,242 times
Agreed, get the degree first. Business Admin and Management is a good fall back to real estate, or anything else really. 4 year degrees are what employers look for these days, I have managed to stay employed through the recession with a 2 year from 1986 though I feel I've been lucky with my variety of experience and sparkling personality.

More people fail at real estate then will succeed. Real estate sales is, sales. Can you sell? Can you put yourself out there, find your own clients, create an effective presentation, and present it? Some of these things you will learn in college.

Do you have 6 months of savings to live on? Chances are more likely you'll take 6 months, not 1 month, to have your first sale.

Selling real estate is having your own business. You are NOT an employee. There is no salary. Its all YOU. Can you depend on you?

Old 09-04-2013, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
Agreed, get the degree first. Business Admin and Management is a good fall back to real estate, or anything else really. 4 year degrees are what employers look for these days, I have managed to stay employed through the recession with a 2 year from 1986 though I feel I've been lucky with my variety of experience and sparkling personality.

More people fail at real estate then will succeed. Real estate sales is, sales. Can you sell? Can you put yourself out there, find your own clients, create an effective presentation, and present it? Some of these things you will learn in college.

Do you have 6 months of savings to live on? Chances are more likely you'll take 6 months, not 1 month, to have your first sale.

Selling real estate is having your own business. You are NOT an employee. There is no salary. Its all YOU. Can you depend on you?
Very well put. I, as well am trying to get my foot in the door and have dozens of questions. But what you just said motivated me to be that rare person that has sales within the first 6 months. I can't settle for anything less than I deserve

Old 09-05-2013, 06:39 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
I think I read that the average real estate agent makes about $17K a year. Think about that for a moment. For very agent making over $100K - there are several making UNDER $17K. When I first read that, I thought it was BS, then I looked around. Yeah, it's probably correct. I know some making under $15K - year after year. They would be better off working at Walmart.

If you are approaching an area in a bad market, I would think twice. I don't know Atlanta, but if the economy really is bad, the real estate market is going to be bad.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:54 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Mean vs Median

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I think I read that the average real estate agent makes about $17K a year.
Real Estate Brokers and Sales Agents : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Median = $42K

Old 09-06-2013, 06:14 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Best place?

I'm thinking upstate NY. To out of state investors.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:38 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Best place?

I'm thinking upstate NY. To out of state investors.
You really made me chuckle with this one

Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Dallas-Ft.Worth is booming.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals