Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times

Advertisements

Does anyone at all still use a keymap to get directions somewhere? My local MLS requires that we input the keymap into all listings and will fine you $100 for not getting it correct. Its more than a little annoying to have to buy a paper map just to be able to list a property, when in this digital age, I do not think anyone at all even looks at this. I asked multiple younger folks (appx 30 yrs old) if they knew what a key map was, and out of 5 or 6, not 1 of them did. I have one in my office but its still just stupid to have to take the time to look up something that NOBODY at all uses.

Who here is so old and outdated you still use a keymap instead of the internet? And if you do use a keymap, do you still use a fax machine as well? Perhaps still using a horse/buggy to get places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 10:04 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Does anyone at all still use a keymap to get directions somewhere?
What's a keymap?

Gee...a question which answers your question!

Old 09-20-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
What's a keymap?

Gee...a question which answers your question!
Exactly....a key map is a map that you use to find a property. Its got a number and grid system. You look up your street. Find the page in the map book it is on, look at the street and find the letter associated with the grid your street is on...Then input the page/grid number in the MLS listing.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:41 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I'm surprised my antiquated MLS doesn't require one, but I'm guessing that the Thomas Brothers company doesn't publish a map for our county.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
Exactly....a key map is a map that you use to find a property. Its got a number and grid system. You look up your street. Find the page in the map book it is on, look at the street and find the letter associated with the grid your street is on...Then input the page/grid number in the MLS listing.
Wow--now I remember those!

We didn't call it a "key map" at the time, but I remember using those back in the 70s. What's the matter with Texas Realtors? Are they so afraid that someone might dare call them "progressive" if they change?

Old 09-20-2013, 01:47 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I never heard of a "Key Map" before, but now I understand after the OP's later description. I am sure my RE board used to use them years ago, but in this modern day and age we do list driving instructions in the MLS but most realtors and customers use GPS on their cars/phones/or stand-alone GPS systems.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I never heard of a "Key Map" before, but now I understand after the OP's later description. I am sure my RE board used to use them years ago, but in this modern day and age we do list driving instructions in the MLS but most realtors and customers use GPS on their cars/phones/or stand-alone GPS systems.
We are required to input the keymap, address, gps coordinate using google earth (place bubble on house), AND write directions to the property.

I swear that every time I think of getting the keymap out it drives me crazy. Perhaps we should have VHS virtual tours free at the door as well? Seriously, its ridiculous.

Texas is not a progressive state, but my MLS is probably one of the largest, best, websites I have ever utilized. Easy, well designed, great to navigate, with tons of functionality yet they still require a keymap...GRR

Old 09-20-2013, 06:11 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I didn't know what one was until you described it. We still have to enter directions because Google Maps isn't 100% accurate and some of the old timers have no idea how to use online maps.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I didn't know what one was until you described it. We still have to enter directions because Google Maps isn't 100% accurate and some of the old timers have no idea how to use online maps.
Our MLS software will often default to showing the location of the MLS office when it can't determine where the property actually is. Kind of a pain to geocode it manually.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:35 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Our MLS software will often default to showing the location of the MLS office when it can't determine where the property actually is. Kind of a pain to geocode it manually.
Ours defaults to "location not found." You can drag the pin to the right spot though and it geocodes it for you. Directions are also essential for new construction where the street isn't on maps yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals