Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,263 times

Advertisements

The listing agreement I signed and agreed to was a commission of 6%.
The MLS report shows com/Buyer agent: 2.5% Trans Brk: 2.5%
Why?? Is the broker trying to have an advantage by discouraging other agencies because of a lower commission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 11:19 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinfla View Post
Why?? Is the broker trying to have an advantage by discouraging other agencies because of a lower commission?
This doesn't make sense. If it's your listing, what does your listing agreement state that it will pay for a cooperating agent? The amount in your listing agreement should be the amount put in the MLS. How are you not in control of this if it's your listing?

Old 08-01-2016, 12:35 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,974,961 times
Quote:
They could be paying themselves 3.5% or it could be a mistake. Ask the agent.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:22 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
The other possibility is that the listing agreement only calls for a 5% commission instead of a 6% commission, with half to go to the selling agent -- the listing agent may have negotiated a lower commission than is typical for some reason (handling the buying and the selling for the same client, etc.) If there was a mistake entering it into the system (i.e., an assistant or office worker didn't catch that it was 2.5 instead of the usual 3.0), then they may have simply tried to correct it.

Everything will be much simpler if you have a copy of the MLS listing before it was changed.

What does the commission agreement say? In our state, we have a separate commission agreement that details commission splits, who's paying for what, etc.
Well, that's the kind of correction that is made BEFORE an offer comes in, not after. Around here, if a listing agent negotiates a lower commission, then the co-op agent is still offered the full amount (i.e., if the typical commission is 6% and the listing agent negotiated 5%, the listing agent would keep 2% and still offer 3% to a co-op.) And that's because no agent wants to put their listing at a disadvantage -- there are some selling agents out there that will find a reason not the show a 2.5% listing if there are plenty of other 3% listings lying around. Or else they will negotiate a higher commission at the time of contract.

If it was a mistake, then the listing agent should have called the selling agent and explained the problem, preferably with a copy of the listing agreement showing the correct percentages, etc. If it's an agent I've worked with and trust, I'd probably let them get away with it. But Barney Fife from Mayberry Realty who has sold 3 houses in the last two years who suddenly decided that the commission should be 2.5%? No way.

Get a copy of the listing history from the MLS before you call the agent. And if your state allows it, record the conversation. You might need it later.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:28 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,878 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like it's either a typo (that's the pleasant, charitable version) or your agent is trying to pocket the extra 1% (the nasty, suspicious version.)

Ask them point-blank: "Hey, I signed a commission agreement for 6%. Why does the MLS listing only show 5%?" In Georgia, the listing agreement clearly states the percentage, plus what percentage is going to be shared with co-op brokers.

Selling agents don't typically have access to the listing agreement, because it often contains information on scheduled price adjustments, the expiration date, etc. So selling agents can only go by what's on the MLS.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:47 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Sounds to me like it's either a typo (that's the pleasant, charitable version) or your agent is trying to pocket the extra 1% (the nasty, suspicious version.)

Ask them point-blank: "Hey, I signed a commission agreement for 6%. Why does the MLS listing only show 5%?" In Georgia, the listing agreement clearly states the percentage, plus what percentage is going to be shared with co-op brokers.

Selling agents don't typically have access to the listing agreement, because it often contains information on scheduled price adjustments, the expiration date, etc. So selling agents can only go by what's on the MLS.
I closed one last week that paid me, the buyer's agent, 2.5%. Imagine my surprise to see the listing agent's 3.5% share on the settlement statement. Entirely legal if the seller knew (I have my doubts - elderly seller) but scummy anyway especially for this particular transaction.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:27 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,204,196 times
I think golfinfla is a Seller, and has agreed to pay his listing agent 6%. In the given MLS, the LA is offering 2.5% to buyers agents and 2.5% to transaction brokers (similar to subagents of the seller).

When the home sells, the LA will earn 3.5%, the other broker will earn 2.5%. There's no "stealing" 1%.

Not all MLS's have a "50/50 split" as either the standard, or subscriber agreement.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:38 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I closed one last week that paid me, the buyer's agent, 2.5%. Imagine my surprise to see the listing agent's 3.5% share on the settlement statement. Entirely legal if the seller knew (I have my doubts - elderly seller) but scummy anyway especially for this particular transaction.
How were you able to see this if you have the buyer? With the new Closing Disclosures, you can only see the closing of the side you represent. You should not be seeing anything on the other side...

Old 08-02-2016, 02:27 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
How were you able to see this if you have the buyer? With the new Closing Disclosures, you can only see the closing of the side you represent. You should not be seeing anything on the other side...
I still get a signed settlement statement showing both sides after closing. Was a cash deal.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:03 AM

43,268 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Many of our closing attorneys had baked into their engagement letters that the agents could see disclosures.
The drooling idiots at CFPB decided last week that Buyers' agents are allowed to see Sellers' CD.
Obviously, when I am serving in a fiduciary role, that means that my buyers get to see.

Realtor Mag article on drooling idiots playing catch up to the real world.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 08-02-2016 at 05:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals