Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 PM

577 posts, read 663,271 times

Advertisements

Lately, I've been seeing buyers who offer more than they want to pay for a house, with the hopes of the appraisal coming in lower.

The idea is to offer top dollar to get the contract, then negotiate the price down when the appraisal comes in lower. It works sometimes, but I've also seen times when the appraisal comes in right at contract price and the buyers end up paying more than they wanted.

I can't believe people are crazy enough to gamble like this.

Any one else seeing this happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 06:13 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
In a multiple offer situation where someone goes over the asking price, I would make the contract NOT contingent on Financing or Appraisal. I would also require the Appraisal to be complete and delivered within 14 days.

It would be in the sellers best interest.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Yes. Its a tactic to get your bid to the front of the line. Once in buyers feel that they can twist the sellers arm because they are in the negotiating stage. It's a low down tactic but it's done all the time. It was really big at the beginning of the year
Simply make the contract not contingent on appraisal

Rakin beat me to it. Forgot financing

Old 11-17-2013, 06:30 PM

577 posts, read 663,271 times
There is no way I would ever bid more for a house than I was willing to pay and hope the appraisal saves me.

Most of the time I've seen this happen, there wasn't a bidding war and the buyer's offered list price or slightly above. And, typically FHA financing, so the contract is contingent on the appraisal.

It just amazes me that people are willing to take this kind of chance.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:40 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigW View Post
There is no way I would ever bid more for a house than I was willing to pay and hope the appraisal saves me.

Most of the time I've seen this happen, there wasn't a bidding war and the buyer's offered list price or slightly above. And, typically FHA financing, so the contract is contingent on the appraisal.

It just amazes me that people are willing to take this kind of chance.

Oh absolutely. I was looking and I had agents get back and literally say your offer isn't good enough I have a offer for 40k more on the table. I have great credit 20 down and no financial issues. But I only bid a good solid offer. I was looking for a new house to move into which we planned on 15-20 year occupancy. I have since decided to wait. None of the houses I bid on sold after a prolonged in and out pending. And sold months later for about what I offered or less. In some cases I was called back to see if I was willing to buy. By then interest in the house vaned and I had other things to do. I only overbid on one house told they went with someone else, the house went through two other bidders who walked and I was third in line and that turned to crap in the inspection so I walked. Funny thing house sold for 405. The house next door is in foreclosure sale. Been that way for two years asking private is 360k. So when that house gets sold the guy who bought for 405 is gonna be really unhappy if he tries to sell

Old 11-19-2013, 07:24 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Funny thing house sold for 405. The house next door is in foreclosure sale. Been that way for two years asking private is 360k. So when that house gets sold the guy who bought for 405 is gonna be really unhappy if he tries to sell
Why?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
I had an agent have a single mom bid 25 - 30K higher, saying the value would never come in.....and you guessed it, it did. It blew everyone away, but it was just before the bulk of foreclosures hit that neighborhood.......and it wasn't a 500K house either, much less. The buyer was beyond ticked off. I didn't find out about the scheme until I sent the appraisal to the buyer. It made it through underwriting. It put the buyer in her personal uncomfortable zone. Really sad. Realtor didn't care, said it was the appraiser's fault. I worked with the Realtor on a couple more. I couldn't work with her. Her clients all came out on the other side battered and bruised - and I feared getting caught up if someone complained. (This was in 2009/2010 for those wondering - well after HVCC).

Don't ever let your appraisal set your sales price and never let your appraisal set the repair conditions you want as a buyer. Both will backfire.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:46 AM

501 posts, read 1,463,125 times
It's absolutely nuts to do that. We had the exact thing happen to an appraiser in our office a few months ago. A couple made an offer on a home for the list price thinking that two sales in the development that had closed 4 months earlier (prior to the busy season and built by a builder who wanted out of that development) for about $50K less than their offer would make the appraisal come in lower. All of the homes are similar in size and finish out. Fast forward to when the appraisal was ordered and performed 3 more houses closed in the mean time all for significantly higher than the older sales and the crap hit the fan. These homes were in the in the $700-800K range. The buyer called the appraiser to complain about the value and said their agent suggested that tactic.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:36 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
It's just flat out stupid to use an appraisal as a way out.

It can however, wake up a neophyte clueless listing agent .

Old 12-05-2013, 10:03 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Buyers are constantly looking for a way to lower the sale price. For years (around here), buyers have been using the inspection process to lower the price of the house. They ask for exorbitant amounts to fix minor problems or ask for things to be fixed that are not defects. They hire inspectors who virtually make up defects and have contractors come in to give inflated quotes. So really, this is nothing new. In the end, whether your inspector says the house is falling down or your appraiser says it's worth way less than what you offered, the seller still has to agree to the price adjustment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals