U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 12:42 PM

173 posts, read 901,192 times

Advertisements

Is this really a slow time of the year?

In the last 4 weeks I have 4 NEW listings. It seems like every week I am getting more.

Here is the question: Should I expect a slow period? My showings are very light? Should I be worried or am I being a nervous NEW agent?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

**Any experienced agents who dont have anything positive to say PLEASE DONT SAY ANYTHING.

: )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 01:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,996,660 times
Thanksgiving to New Years is traditionally a slow time for real estate in Atlanta, and this year has been slower than usual for showings throughout the fall.

Here, showings usually pick up after the beginning of the year. Of course, we have a 19 month supply of inventory on the market now, so even if more buyers start looking in January/February, there are so many homes on the market that average listings will probably still continue to have fewer showings than usual.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback.....

I've educated my sellers about "this time of the year" and they seem to be OK with it. I will be hosting open houses every weekend.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:13 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,837,975 times
Showings are usually lighter, but the showings you get are serious buyers.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:30 AM

When does the market really start picking up?

Old 11-24-2007, 10:02 AM

136 posts, read 556,305 times
Yes this time of year is slower because most people are traveling for the holidays. I am actually busier right now than I was this summer. My buyers are not as nervous as they were this summer because of all of the mortgage news. I believe next year will be very good at least in Birmingham, AL.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:23 AM

It's slow here (NC). But my biggest worry is NOW becoming a listing agent around this time of the year. I dont know what to expect! I have 2 buyers I am working with and they are having a good time (with the selection of property), but I dont want my sellers to panic (because the lack of showings and offers).

Old 11-24-2007, 10:47 AM

12,451 posts, read 30,237,370 times
missnew2nc, as you become more experienced, you'll get the hang of it!

When I was new...many moons ago...alot of the experienced Agents told me that this was the slow time of year. I often wondered about it as I was ALWAYS busy this time of year! I sometimes felt that I was the only one in my office working!

I tend to not listen to alot of what agents say...you'll hear alot say its busy and an equal amount say its not. I try not to read too much of what the media says...its a slow market, its not a slow market. I enjoy my buyers and try to keep my sellers calm. After all, they bought their house and there is another buyer out there for their house! I do what I can to get it sold.

I love my job. I find that its not really a "job" or a "career" but more of a lifestyle. I'm a Realtor. No matter where I am, if the subject of Real Estate comes up, I pipe right up! You'd be surprised at the questions people will ask and I'm always happy to answer and to help. Usually I'll just wait for them to ask for my card instead of me offering. It makes them feel that I'm not just talking to them in hopes of finding a new client.

I think anytime you are passionate about what you do, you are good at it. People appreciate honesty and treating them fairly and thats how you get your referrals and make new friends! Enjoy it. We are lucky to have found something we love to do and we get paid to do it!

Vicki

Old 11-24-2007, 12:12 PM

Thanks Vicki R---

Your advise is GREAT!

Old 11-24-2007, 01:07 PM

8,885 posts, read 18,489,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missnew2nc View Post
Is this really a slow time of the year?

In the last 4 weeks I have 4 NEW listings. It seems like every week I am getting more.

Here is the question: Should I expect a slow period? My showings are very light? Should I be worried or am I being a nervous NEW agent?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

**Any experienced agents who dont have anything positive to say PLEASE DONT SAY ANYTHING.

: )
It depends on your area as to when the slow time is, but it seems like it is generally from Thanksgiving through February for most markets.

Depending on your market, you many want to be selective as to how many listings you take on. If you are in a slow market like much of the country, personally I'd only take listings for people who are highly motivated and very flexible. I have friends in the industry who are constantly turning down listings now because it's like a car dealership taking more cars than they can sell. They just take up room.

I know when you're new it's hard to say no, but just some advice to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals