Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:43 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times

Advertisements

Why does every realtor insist on having their own search site? Time wise, is it worth it? Why not let the big companies like realtor.com handle it and emphasize customer service, knowledge and using you as a realtor on a house they find on a big site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:47 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Why does every realtor insist on having their own search site? Time wise, is it worth it? Why not let the big companies like realtor.com handle it and emphasize customer service, knowledge and using you as a realtor on a house they find on a big site?
Why? Because. Because it is not hard to offer a better site than Realtor.com.

Because Realtor.com is pathetic and limited, and sells off contacts gleaned from my listings to high bidders.
Because I can pull up 25 listings in a search from my IDX and send them to clients and prospective clients without exposing them to high bidders for leads, or to other ads that pepper the third party sites.
Because I can offer rentals, multi-family, and commercial properties.
Because my photos show better on my IDX pages than on Realtor.com.
Because I can choose to offer all 600+ public search fields, and Realtor.com chooses to not show very many.
Because GOOG indexes IDX pages and that helps agents rank well in SERP. GOOG bots crawl my pages continually.
Because I can offer Walkscore.
Because my IDX is embedded in a blog, among content that generates traffic.
Because the more time someone spends on my site, the more likely it is they will be my client.
Because that venue to drive traffic and business is MUCH more acceptable than telemarketing.

Why would any agent NOT develop a site with IDX? The concept of ignoring the potential just boggles the mind.

You caught me on something I have been kicking around a lot lately.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:26 AM

Ok, so I can understand why you like your own site..... but is anyone using it?

There are only so many hours in a day. If people are spending so much time on technology, it takes away time from acquiring listings, and selling.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Because I can choose to offer all 600+ public search fields, and Realtor.com chooses to not show very many.
Personally, I dont bother using many search fields when searching. Why? Clueless agents either dont have time or dont bother to input most of them correctly when listing. So if you narrow the search, you may miss a ton of listings.

Sometimes your lucky if they list more than one photo, if any.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:03 AM

158 posts, read 523,769 times
399083453 I don't know why a Seller would list with someone who doesn't have a website? At least not my area, we get tons of complements on our website and our google rankings - that's why having to switch is such a big nightmare.

Thanks for the help everyone. I thought I had it narrowed down to Websitebox only to realize all they cared about was adding my MLS to their list of MLSs. Seriously they wouldn't even sign my paperwork and start the process until they received blank paperwork for future clients. Talk about putting the cart before the horse.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:37 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
I've been pretty happy with alamode's offering.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:17 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:

There are only so many hours in a day. If people are spending so much time on technology, it takes away time from acquiring listings, and selling.
Ummm... This is not about me liking my site. It is about me delivering things that people want, and then reaping benefit.
Yes, people use the site.
How much time does it take to maintain it? I don't telemarket, and that is the classic road to success, so I save that time anyway.

Quote:
Personally, I dont bother using many search fields when searching. Why? Clueless agents either dont have time or dont bother to input most of them correctly when listing. So if you narrow the search, you may miss a ton of listings.

Sometimes your lucky if they list more than one photo, if any.
You are one person. People like what they like, and many people like searching for homes with fenced yards, first floor laundries, specific schools, and other items that the big sites ignore.
In my immediate market, I would say that listing data is more reliable than in some markets I have seen as examples, but, yes, there is great room for more consistency and improvement.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:48 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
I did wordpress site with an agentpres theme and paid a guy to build it for me. No more template sites for me ever again.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

Why would any agent NOT develop a site with IDX?
Because my bassackwards MLS doesn't allow agent IDX. However, I still have a website and do the best I can with information and video content. Otherwise I agree with you entirely. I'm still hoping we'll stop syndication but I doubt it.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Agreed, unless like myself they pay someone to do the work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals