Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agents: Do you carry a concealed firearm when showing property?
Yes, and I have the Concealed Carry Permit. 5 27.78%
Yes, but I do not have a Concealed Carry Permit. 1 5.56%
Sometimes. 1 5.56%
Not a firearm, but I have something else like Mace, Pepper Spray, Taser, etc. 6 33.33%
No, my "Kung Fu fighting grip" can handle anything. 2 11.11%
No, I just leave it in the hands of fate. 1 5.56%
No, I carry nothing to protect myself because I don't see the need. 2 11.11%
No, because I'd rather die than hurt someone else while protecting myself. 0 0%
Duuuuuuh, What's the Second Amendment to the Constitution? 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:30 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,410 times

Advertisements

First, let me say that I hope this thread doesn't turn into an arguement about the Second Amendment. Instead, I'm curious about how an agent secures their safety while out with people who they really don't know. Let me just ask that we try to keep the discussion on topic. Thanks!

Second, I understand that someone may not want to disclose their personal protection habits. Instead, let's just say that I'm asking if you know of other agents who take personal responsibility for their safety by exercising their Second Amendment rights.

Finally, this question came to mind when I read another thread about the strange behavior of a prospective client who had come into the RE office. It also brought to mind past news articles of agents who had been harmed/killed when showing vacant houses. Then, the question came into perspective when I considered some of the agents here who have discussed showing remote land, far from the protection offered by others.

So, the question remains, Agents, do you carry concealed firearms when showing property?

Thank you.

Last edited by garth; 11-26-2007 at 11:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,032,359 times
I do not, I'm a man and not nearly as likely to be harmed. I do know some experienced women agents who take precautions. If you are a full time agent you will eventually run into situations that will at best make you uncomfortable.

I do know of two agents who generally carry concealed weapons, and quite a few more who carry pepper spray.

There was one situation where I was asked by a woman agent to accompany her to a tense situation where we knew the person had been violent in the past. I did carry a concealed weapon at that time.

Alaska does not require a license to carry. Anyone can carry a weapon as long as they are not felon.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:10 AM

Thanks for the Alaska insight. Heck, I'd be concerned with getting between a Moose and its baby while showing land without any way to get out of the mother's way.

BTW, did you notice the one response to the poll so far? You must not have answered the poll with your post, but someone else proudly made note of their "Kung Fu fighting grip."

I try to toss in a goofy option just to make the poll interesting. I'm glad to see someone else found it worth using as their answer.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:53 AM

631 posts, read 2,445,584 times
Very funny poll.
I carry a firearm but not concealed.
I'm not carrying the firearm for the humans, it's to protect us humans in case we need it against animals or snakes and usually only carry it in foreign territory or on the backside of a working cattle ranch. Those damn cows will chase you.
If I feel I need a firearm with an appt. I either, 1. don't show the appt. 2. bring my boyfriend who carries the guns. Usually the weirdo ends up being an ok person afterall.
I have had a couple of scary appointments that almost made you want to shoot first, ask questions later. Would like to think my kung fu fighting would get me thru, but really, my one up is I know where I am in the boonies and I can get someone really lost out there and just run away and leave their butts out there by themselves.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
I do enough REO and foreclosure appraisals that it has been handy to have some hardware with you......I do, however, call the sheriffs department if it appears that squatters have set up business. Fortunately the smell of acetone carries quite a ways.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:29 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,211 times
Hey, Garth - you should have added one more option:
No, because I'm extremely cautious and with questionable clients I take along another (hulky) agent.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:15 PM

This is interesting. So far, over 66%, 2/3 rd, of agents are either armed, sometimes armed, or carry mace, pepper spray, or a taser. I would have guessed that it would have been less . . . but I would have been wrong . . . at least for this tiny sample.

. . . and then there's those two responses with the "Kung Fu Grip." Hummmm, I wonder if Hulk Hogan is a real estate agent on this board. I betcha' he's got one heck of a Kung Fu Grip.

Gretchen, that would have been a good answer to inlclude. Too bad I can't go back and add it to the list.

Last edited by garth; 11-27-2007 at 05:42 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 06:37 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,896,556 times
I'm with Gretchen. I don't carry anything either and if I feel the need, I take someone with me OR I don't go.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:00 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,785 times
I think ALL female agents should have some sort of protection with them at all times.And men if they feel the need.It wouldn't affend me.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times
Default Yep, I do!

I keep the gun(s) at home. Maybe I'm a coward, but I carry a civilian taser and I have a portable red pepper spray on my key ring. So far, I've only used the pepper spray on one aggressive dog...while the owner was watching nonetheless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals