Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Home sales in negatively impacted markets: price point, desirable areas, resales

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:57 PM

55 posts, read 208,564 times

Advertisements

Seems we're hearing lots of chat from the most negatively impacted real estate markets ( southeast primarily per all statistical reports-and of course, CA). Markets in TX and the Carolina's are doing fairly well still-god bless you all. Of course, if you look at the price point for homes in these area's it's amazing-you can actually still purchase a new home for $150K in the Carolina's or TX.

I remember the days when a Seller would be thrilled if he made a profit over and above his mortgage/renovations/selling cost of $20K to $30K...now days Sellers want $75K-$100K in profit....and I remember the days when you did not even consider purchasing a home unless you had 20% for a down payment....hum....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM

135 posts, read 305,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko1212 View Post
Seems we're hearing lots of chat from the most negatively impacted real estate markets ( southeast primarily per all statistical reports-and of course, CA). Markets in TX and the Carolina's are doing fairly well still-god bless you all. Of course, if you look at the price point for homes in these area's it's amazing-you can actually still purchase a new home for $150K in the Carolina's or TX.

I remember the days when a Seller would be thrilled if he made a profit over and above his mortgage/renovations/selling cost of $20K to $30K...now days Sellers want $75K-$100K in profit....and I remember the days when you did not even consider purchasing a home unless you had 20% for a down payment....hum....
I'm in the Raleigh area (own as well), one of the creme de la creme of markets, and it's pretty bad there too. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-29-2007 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 07:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,205,997 times
FWIW, I would not describe the market in Raleigh as bad. I know of plenty of homes selling in the most desireable areas in N. Raleigh.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-29-2007 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: referring post has been edited

Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,288,422 times
Quote:

The house we want to put an offer in here in Northern Va is listed for $525K and they paid $239K for it in 1993. So, they will make a HEAFTY profit. They originally listed for well over $600K-and would have got it last year. I still can't believe we will have to pay around $500K for a decent single family in this area. Don't know if the market will correct here anymore or not...but we need a home soon, so I guess we will just have to gamble.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:49 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,655,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
The house we want to put an offer in here in Northern Va is listed for $525K and they paid $239K for it in 1993. So, they will make a HEAFTY profit. They originally listed for well over $600K-and would have got it last year. I still can't believe we will have to pay around $500K for a decent single family in this area. Don't know if the market will correct here anymore or not...but we need a home soon, so I guess we will just have to gamble.

Twin, if there is still ample inventory and sales are slow, prices HAVE fallen, AND will continue to fall. Northern VA is a prime example of that. The example you show above is why prices are still WAY out of whack.

I know it would be tough in the short term, but you'd prob save a ton of money waiting it out.

I'm not you, but you have an opportunity to make up some of the $$ you lost in the beat down the buyer gave you unfortunatley for your house. Just throwing that option out there.

p.s. to the poster above, things are not as rosy as you portray here in Charlotte. Builders are laying off workers left and right. There is a huge glut of unsold spec homes and lots, plus there are a TON of resales available that are having big time difficulty moving...# of units sold is down almost 20% YOY also.....

Again, Yun and delusional realtors are hanging their hat on median prices when we know more expensive homes are being built which is skewing the #'s....

Old 11-28-2007, 07:53 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,288,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Twin, if there is still ample inventory and sales are slow, prices HAVE fallen, AND will continue to fall. Northern VA is a prime example of that. The example you show above is why prices are still WAY out of whack.

I know it would be tough in the short term, but you'd prob save a ton of money waiting it out.

I'm not you, but you have an opportunity to make up some of the $$ you lost in the beat down the buyer gave you unfortunatley for your house. Just throwing that option out there.

p.s. to the poster above, things are not as rosy as you portray here in Charlotte. Builders are laying off workers left and right. There is a huge glut of unsold spec homes and lots, plus there are a TON of resales available that are having big time difficulty moving...# of units sold is down almost 20% YOY also.....
You are right. We actually may pass on this house. We are going to go look again with our Realtor. (first time was with her partner) If we wait until after the 1st, I think the market might be flooded with the people who waited and those who pulled their homes off of the market. Funny thing is this sellers agent told ours that he is pretty firm on price as he already slashed $100K plus and I laughed as that just means he was WAY overpriced. And, still is. Like I said, a year ago he would have gotten $600-700K, but things have changed.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,782,546 times
Quote:

Is God picking and choosing housing markets now?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:19 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,294,043 times
As in any housing slowdown - it's not like there's nothing selling . . . just not a lot selling.

So just a question here for those of you that have been basking in warmer market climes:
Do you think the slowdown is starting to affect places like the Carolina's, Oregon, Washington, Texas??? Are areas like those just on the tail end of this slowdown, but eventually they'll be affected too? Are there any areas that are truly turning around? I've been really swamped lately, but I think that may just be a blip and not a trend. Is anybody out there in a market where prices are steadily appreciating and volume is increasing? . . . Please tell me there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

Old 11-28-2007, 10:31 PM

135 posts, read 305,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
As in any housing slowdown - it's not like there's nothing selling . . . just not a lot selling.

So just a question here for those of you that have been basking in warmer market climes:
Do you think the slowdown is starting to affect places like the Carolina's, Oregon, Washington, Texas??? Are areas like those just on the tail end of this slowdown, but eventually they'll be affected too? Are there any areas that are truly turning around? I've been really swamped lately, but I think that may just be a blip and not a trend. Is anybody out there in a market where prices are steadily appreciating and volume is increasing? . . . Please tell me there's a light at the end of the tunnel!
I live in the Raleigh area, and many "optimists" who live here continue to believe that they live in a virtual shield from the rest of the world. What they don't understand is that many of the people moving to the "triangle" area of NC have to sell their houses. Many of them come from upstate NY, CA, FL, NJ/NY, PA, and other areas where house prices are declining. What they don't realize is that even in some of the best places like Raleigh, prices are indeed falling and houses are taking longer to sell.

Look, real estate investing as a cash machine was a fad much like fuzzy dice and legwarmers in the 80's. People used to look at their homes as homes. Now they try to retire off their monopoly money equity. When people start putting up 20% down, realize that a home is a home and not a cash machine, and that house prices have to fall SIGNIFICANTLY nationwide, sellers will try to hold out as long as possible, and thus bleed slowly. Get your clients to REDUCE THEIR PRICES and stop acting greedy.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:32 PM

373 posts, read 1,467,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
This is around a 6% gain ( based on $500K) per year which, I believe is less than the national average. I am curious why you think this is a hefty profit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals