Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:07 PM

291 posts, read 976,904 times

Advertisements

I made an offer several weeks ago, went to highest and best, and ultimately didn't get the place. I was notified of that nearly 2 weeks ago (on 2/17)--I emailed the agent this past week to inquire as to the return of my initial deposit, but haven't heard back. Is there a law governing this? I'm in NJ, if that matters. Thanks for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 09:00 PM

6,472 posts, read 10,338,139 times
Keep calling the realtor who represented you and/or the selling agent. Was this a foreclosure or short sale ??

Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,393,765 times
Normally the EMD check is not even cashed or delivered to the escrow company until you have an accepted offer. Your check is likely floating around someplace. Did you make the check out the the title company with instructions (written) to your agent to hold the check until escrow opened?

Yes there are laws - your agent's broker would know what applies to you in NJ. Please contact the broker if you do not hear from your agent.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,738,350 times
I can't help with NJ law but it seems reasonable to assume that your check was probably not immediately deposited and they won't issue a refund until it is certain that the funds have cleared. There have been reports of scams around the country where checks were deposited, amounts refunded after the check clears, and then it turns out that there is a chargeback that leaves the middle guy holding the [empty] bag.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:59 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,083,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Normally the EMD check is not even cashed or delivered to the escrow company until you have an accepted offer. Your check is likely floating around someplace. Did you make the check out the the title company with instructions (written) to your agent to hold the check until escrow opened?

Yes there are laws - your agent's broker would know what applies to you in NJ. Please contact the broker if you do not hear from your agent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I can't help with NJ law but it seems reasonable to assume that your check was probably not immediately deposited and they won't issue a refund until it is certain that the funds have cleared. There have been reports of scams around the country where checks were deposited, amounts refunded after the check clears, and then it turns out that there is a chargeback that leaves the middle guy holding the [empty] bag.
In the State of Georgia, the check would not have been cashed/deposited either until the offer was accepted.

If you don't hear back from the Agent, you need to speak to their Broker.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Stay on the agent, stay on the brokerage. Wait a couple more days then give a date certain when the deposit must be back in your hand or you will explore further steps. Maybe mention your state's Real Estate Commission.

This happened to my daughter a few years ago. She placed a deposit on a house (which was perfect for her) which failed the septic inspection. There was no negotiating for a lower price, the asking price was firm.

It took her three months to receive a return on her deposit and it only came after the demand letter (up until then it was always "I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow") and the Real Estate Commission reference. Funny thing, the return check was written on the brokerage's account.

She found a different house to buy a couple months later so it all worked out. Funnily enough the original house went to auction with the winning bid 1/4 of her offer.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It took her three months to receive a return on her deposit and it only came after the demand letter (up until then it was always "I'll drop it in the mail tomorrow") and the Real Estate Commission reference. Funny thing, the return check was written on the brokerage's account
That's awful at how long it took your daughter to receive her earnest money back!

If I am reading your post correctly, she was under contract and was in the due diligence period so her earnest money check would have been deposited and the real estate brokerage would have written her a check from their escrow account. She would not have been given back the check she wrote to them because it was already deposited.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:16 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
That's awful at how long it took your daughter to receive her earnest money back!

If I am reading your post correctly, she was under contract and was in the due diligence period so her earnest money check would have been deposited and the real estate brokerage would have written her a check from their escrow account. She would not have been given back the check she wrote to them because it was already deposited.
You are correct. I guess what raised my hackles, and suspicions, was the length of time it took. It wasn't from their escrow account but the regular account. I may be wrong, or remembering incorrectly, but I think I remember something about a "service charge" maybe having to be deducted. That didn't happen, either.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
You are correct. I guess what raised my hackles, and suspicions, was the length of time it took. It wasn't from their escrow account but the regular account. I may be wrong, or remembering incorrectly, but I think I remember something about a "service charge" maybe having to be deducted. That didn't happen, either.
The length of time was inexcusable. Each state has laws stating how quickly earnest money should be returned to the client. "Playing" with the public's monies is highly frown upon and to charge a service charge would get them in hot water for sure!

Old 03-02-2014, 01:21 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
Quote:
In my area, if a check is deposited at the title company, and then the buyer backs out during their inspection period, the title companies must wait 15 BUSINESS days before cutting a new check back to make sure it clears their accounts. That's 3 weeks because it's business days and not calendar days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals