Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:01 AM

428 posts, read 5,884,358 times

Advertisements

When a listing goes pending, does it really mean there is an offer the seller is considering, and that offer is validated through some MLS? I was talking with a professional flipper that flips homes for a living and he said that if his homes doesn't bring full asking offers or close to, he will tell the people he has multiple offers and to submit highest and best. If they still don't go up much, he will tell them he accepted a higher offer and turn his house pending for 30-40 days. Then he turns it back to active and adds "BACK ON MARKET" and other buyers put in close to asking offers because they think others are offering that much.

It sounds like a great idea to create attention to a listing, people want what they can't have and if they think other people are offering as much they will too. Ethically this is wrong, but why are there no regulations for such activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 02:51 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
I imagine it does happen. I would consider it unethical but not illegal. Other Realtors would know if it happens on a regular basis with other agents.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:20 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
It would be against most MLS's rules to make it Pending when there is no contract on the house and probably unethical by the listing agent.

Someone just needs to complain (and show proof) this is happening to the MLS people.

If you can prove it and it's not just hearsay file a complaint. You would be doing people a favor.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:16 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
When a listing goes pending, does it really mean there is an offer the seller is considering, and that offer is validated through some MLS? I was talking with a professional flipper that flips homes for a living and he said that if his homes doesn't bring full asking offers or close to, he will tell the people he has multiple offers and to submit highest and best. If they still don't go up much, he will tell them he accepted a higher offer and turn his house pending for 30-40 days. Then he turns it back to active and adds "BACK ON MARKET" and other buyers put in close to asking offers because they think others are offering that much.

It sounds like a great idea to create attention to a listing, people want what they can't have and if they think other people are offering as much they will too. Ethically this is wrong, but why are there no regulations for such activity.
I don't believe it. Either this guy is lying to you or he's an idiot. If the houses are listed on the MLS the listing agent and his broker are putting themselves at risk for fines and other punishments. If they aren't on the MLS he can lie about multiple offers or status to his heart's content. I doubt all that tomfoolery does anything to help sell the houses or get a higher price anyway.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:59 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
^^^tried repping but system won't let me. Totally agree.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:11 AM

428 posts, read 5,884,358 times
He acts as his own agent, not sure of his brokerage. What kind of fines is there?

Old 03-27-2014, 09:06 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Why would he remove his home from the market for 30+ days? He's an investor looking to make money, not lose money waiting for another month to sell it and then another month for someone to close. I think you're being told a story.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:10 AM

89 posts, read 264,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I don't believe it. Either this guy is lying to you or he's an idiot. If the houses are listed on the MLS the listing agent and his broker are putting themselves at risk for fines and other punishments. If they aren't on the MLS he can lie about multiple offers or status to his heart's content. I doubt all that tomfoolery does anything to help sell the houses or get a higher price anyway.
This is extremely unethical and likely cause for a fine or possibly even worse punishment. Its extremely idiotic too- he's taking his house off the market for 30-40 days without a contract? That's 30-40 days it could sell.

With my buyers, when we see a home was under contract and fell through, we often see that as the sellers are disappointed that they thought it was sold but now they have to struggle to find another and may be more willing to negotiate because of that. His plan is not only unethical, a violation of MLS rules, but stupid.

To answer your question about what does "pending" mean- in my MLS, a house should go from active to contingent to pending to closed. Contingent = offer accepted but contingent on attorney review, inspection, buyer financing, and/or other possible contingencies. Pending = offer accepted and all contingencies satisfied or waived. This often does not happen, as many listing agents change to either contingent or pending once an offer is accepted, regardless of which is actually the appropriate label, and leave it that way until it is closed or reactivated from the deal falling through.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
In Oregon, not only would it violate our local MLS rules, it would violate our licensing laws.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:49 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Yup, not to mention he loses 30-40 days worth of potential buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals