U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 11,777 times

Advertisements

Several months ago, a real estate agent showed us approximately 10 homes but we didn't find one that met all of our needs that didn't require a lot of updating. Since we couldn't find a home we liked, we decided to stay put in our current home for a while longer. Our real estate agent worked hard to try to find us a home so I would like to give our realtor a gift as a token our appreciation. I have heard that real estate agents cannot accept monetary gifts without giving a cut to the broker so I thought about sending her a gift card to a restaurant or department store instead. Does anyone know if agents are allowed to receive gift cards without having to give a cut to the broker? I also have no idea how much to give her. Since there are real estate agents on this forum, I was hoping someone could give me some advice on this matter. Our agent only sells a few homes a year so I really would like to send her something for helping us.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:22 AM

6,958 posts, read 21,090,484 times
Pretty sure only commission dollars need to be shared with the broker.

Having said that, one of my agent's customers gave us both a sample of the agricultural product that he raises. I'm afraid I had to re-gift it. Sealed inside a sandwich bag, it stunk up the office within 2 minutes!

Old 04-08-2014, 12:32 PM

7,238 posts, read 20,336,280 times
Send her referrals. Referrals are valued a lot more than gifts.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 PM

174 posts, read 366,576 times
To answer your original question, at least here in Arizona they wouldn't need to share a giftcard.

But as said, we always love a referral. If even though they didn't find you the home of your dreams, if they did a good job keep them in mind if you know of someone else looking to buy.

-Trent

Old 04-09-2014, 05:36 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,833,237 times
Cost of doing business.
You're not the only client.

Just be sure to hire her again when you're in the market.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:07 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,790,799 times
Falconhead hit it. Send them referrals. Tell your friends or anyone you hear about looking to buy/sell how impressed you were. Ask for some of her business cards that you can hand out to friends/family. That is FAR more valuable than a gift card. I don't have to share gift cards and such with my broker....and that is a company policy. We have some builders in the area that give us gift cards as "bonuses" and he does not require I split that with him either.

A couple of years ago I had a client give me a card with $200 cash in it at closing. My broker told me just to give it to him, and he gave it right back to me, because that was cash money.

I feel awkward accepting gifts from clients, I don't know why. I appreciate it, but it just feels weird to me to be "gifted" for simply doing my job, even if circumstances change and they don't buy a house at that time. Maybe that's just me.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,409,928 times
Referrals and great testimonials for their web site or Trulia/Zillow/Reator.com etc. are the BEST gifts.

And gift cards for gas and/or local car washes are also welcome, but certainly not necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>