Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2007, 07:17 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,672 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm working on a CMA for a customer wanting a new construction home. IMO, all the 2007 closings for new construction were contracted in ~2005 which was a high price point in the market.

How would you go about pricing new construction in a declining market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 10:44 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,081 times
What homes are taking 2 yrs to build????

I think your biggest issue is figuring out how many "incentives" builders gave on all these sales. Just because the home sold for 300K doesn't mean they didn't get 30K in upgrades free, 3% intrest rate, 6% closing costs, etc.

I'd look at resales and adjust for age.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:21 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
I'm not sure what you're asking about. Is this a home to be built? Do you have a set of plans? If so, take them to a builder or two and have them bid on them. The add the land value and you're there.

Is your client wanting you to do a CMA on a home that already exists? If so, it's in competition with everything else in the market new or not.

Inquiring minds want to know

Old 12-10-2007, 12:03 PM

Hey, thanks for jumping in and trying to help. I'm going to have a big bruise from all the head banging. Sorry I left out pertinent details.

The customer selected their target neighborhood. The community started 5 years ago and when completed will have ~750 homes. Resort-style community, all the homes are semi-custom, and price points from $250K to multi-millions. There are several new-and pre-owned homes on the market. Customer wants a new home, never been occupied. We saw all the inventory and they didn't like any of those.

And yes, in this community the builders have and are taking two years to complete. So, to get back to my point, the comparable sales contracted in 2005 are now closing in 2007. There are no other sales from 07. Since 05 was at the top of the market (price-wise), how am I supposed to speculate future value in a declining market?

I'm suffering from analysis paralysis! Maybe that's the problem. I want to be fair I just don't want them to pay over inflated prices.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 12-10-2007 at 12:25 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 12:58 PM

95 posts, read 261,412 times
I think all you can do is a cost adjustment based on current market. Look at what the market is doing as a whole and see if that gives you a adjusted number. No one has a crystal ball and I tell my clients that. Things are still theyre decision. Good luck!!

Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Your problem is much easier then. Obtain a set of plans. Get all the builders you can to bid on the construction of the home. in an area where values range all over the board due to the custom nature of the individual building, it's the only way you can know.

Comps, and therefore a CMA, are inappropriate except for the value of the land on which the home is built.

In my area every home is in fact unique. No subdivisions. Every home is custom (except mfg ones) every piece of ground different. We don't usually end up doing CMA's for that reason and appraisers have the devils own time trying to do their job.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the help and great advice! I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals