Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times

Advertisements

I have a few agents (and escrow officers) who will reply to weeks old emails with a subject line that has nothing to do with the contents of the current email.

Is it too hard to title your email with the current subject? Do I have to paw through a dozen emails Re: and Fwd:?

When you call me and ask if I got your email, or ask what I will do with your request, I'd be much better prepared if I didn't have to figure out what the heck you are asking for. Here is just one example of a series of emails I've received. It's not even close to the number of emails, all titled the same.

Re: Ridge Rd. Giving me an update.
Re: Ridge Rd. Saying thank you
Re: Ridge Rd. Asking for the seller's initials on a document.
Re: Ridge Rd. Asking for lockbox codes for access for a tradesman.
Re: Ridge Rd. Enclosing an addendum.
Re: Ridge Rd. Enclosing a counter offer.
Re: Ridge Rd. Responding to a counter offer.
Re: Ridge Rd. Enclosing an offer

I think you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 11:48 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,999,504 times
Google/Gmail now hides the subject line unless you specifically find the little drop down arrow to change it. I think it's a bad idea for this very reason. Really, I think most people don't even know how to change it.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:23 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Google/Gmail now hides the subject line unless you specifically find the little drop down arrow to change it. I think it's a bad idea for this very reason. Really, I think most people don't even know how to change it.
I just don't understand why anyone would use gmail for any serious purpose, including business.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:28 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I have a few agents (and escrow officers) who will reply to weeks old emails with a subject line that has nothing to do with the contents of the current email.

Is it too hard to title your email with the current subject? Do I have to paw through a dozen emails Re: and Fwd:?

When you call me and ask if I got your email, or ask what I will do with your request, I'd be much better prepared if I didn't have to figure out what the heck you are asking for. Here is just one example of a series of emails I've received. It's not even close to the number of emails, all titled the same.

Re: Ridge Rd. Giving me an update.
Re: Ridge Rd. Asking for the seller's initials on a document.
Re: Ridge Rd. Asking for lockbox codes for access for a tradesman.
Re: Ridge Rd. Enclosing an addendum.
Re: Ridge Rd. Enclosing a counter offer.
Re: Ridge Rd. Responding to a counter offer.
Re: Ridge Rd. Enclosing an offer

I think you get the idea.
So just sort the emails according to the date you received it. You can also rename the emails yourself (in Outlook).

Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I just don't understand why anyone would use gmail for any serious purpose, including business.
Because you can access your email from anywhere.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because you can access your email from anywhere.
Just like email, huh?

I see little advantage to gmail in that regard, since it is a common feature, and then particularly to allow scanning and an inferior interface for a feature that is readily available without scanning.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:31 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,221,727 times
This is one of my pet peeves. Find a year old email to reply to just to send me a mail on a totally different subject. Can't find "new" or "compose"? I have two clients who send emails with blank subject lines. Seriously? No time to type a subject? You're 30 years old for crying out loud. Is this email thing so hard to figure out?

Gmail, you'd think with all the smart guys there they could have made a more friendly experience. The gmail interface is awful but at least there is no limit on the number of rules I can create to sort incoming mail. I'm not always at a desk so I need those rules in the web client. With hotmail, users have a grand total of one mail rule. Based on that, the lesser of those two evils is gmail. Are you listening Google? You promised no evil, not lesser evil.

Last edited by 1insider; 05-28-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Just like email, huh?
You can't access every kind of email service from your phone. I prefer gmail for that reason.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You can't access every kind of email service from your phone. I prefer gmail for that reason.
I never look at gmail on my phone or tablet. I generally only use my phone and tablets for important email, and nothing I would use gmail for is important.

But, I don't care about "free" email. I pay a few bucks a month for a quality service.

All that said, regardless of amateur or professional email service choices, I agree with Dmenscha that a great many agents have no clue how to communicate in an organized fashion.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:39 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Google hosts our brokerages email, my transaction management company's email.

I use google docs for transaction tracking, commission disbursements, new buyer lead form, transaction documents for compliance. Our contract software imports the transaction deadlines to the google calendar.

all for $5 per user per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals