Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 02:44 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,970,243 times

Advertisements

I have a question...what's the difference between a RE Company and RE Broker firm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 03:35 PM

21 posts, read 28,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
I have a question...what's the difference between a RE Company and RE Broker firm?
I was confused by this one to but didn't ask.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:43 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,649,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
looking for a talented individual who will be trained for the specific details of the job, must have passion, etc.
Reading this..... They were looking for someone already in the industry with experience, that they would train to do the "specific" methods/details that they want. Not someone with no experience at anything, but has a degree. I've found the only companies that care about the college degrees and no experience are very large corporations that want you fresh out of college and have training programs with classrooms, etc.

No one is going to give you a job that requires skills and experience right out of college. You start at the bottom, just like everyone else. One thing you will realize is that degree you have will only get you in the door, at the bottom.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:03 PM

768 posts, read 857,814 times
Real estate (and I was a broker for 27 years licensed in several states) is one of the only professions that has a code of ethics and yet, they teach you to pass a test so you can put your picture on a business card and "be somebody". You pretty much know very little after you take that test and get a license. Experience in this profession is the best teacher and you get paid on productivity....not a producer....zero dollars come to you.
However, a person with a college degree, driving 50+ miles deserves some respect and not a dose of realtor ego!

Old 06-03-2014, 06:13 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,649,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
However, a person with a college degree, driving 50+ miles deserves some respect and not a dose of realtor ego!
Nahh. They taught him a lesson..... but he has yet to realize what that lesson was. In time he will.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:21 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,079,969 times
I don't mean to be disrespectful to the OP but maybe you just didn't click with the person interviewing you?

Would you be driving 60 miles everyday (120 roundtrip) if you were offered the job?

Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You applied for a position that was way over your head; this is what happens when you do that. You wasted your time, and you wasted theirs.
It said entry-level, and as a new grad who's desperate for a job, I've been applying to anything that has "entry-level" on it, and I'll drive 50 miles for it. In hindsight you are definitely right though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Well, it probably won't be your last time. Getting a permanent job right out of college can be challenging--I know it was a more difficult time for me, as with many. Try not to get too discouraged--something will come along.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. I didn't realize it'd be this difficult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I didn't read the post, didn't write the resume', and didn't attend the interview, but it looks to me like the OP has a pretty good reason to be upset.

I recently posted for a position in our firm. To every resume' which we received, I mailed even the unqualified a small gift card to a local coffee/sandwich shop.

Yes, it was expensive, but top notch corporations (we aren't there but headed that way), respect the efforts people make in application.

I am sorry that people don't seem to care about people any more.
That's interesting, and really classy of the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Job interviews are always difficult unless you have an inside track on the job. In your case something between you and the interviewer did not click. It could have been you or your qualifications or it could be that the interviewer was looking for someone else. Maybe the job description you viewed and the actual job were not in sync.

At one point in my previous career I was an expert at a particular technology and traveled the world training and consulting on the the subject. A few years later I applied for a position which used that same technology and would have been "child's play" for me. After my first phone interview the HR person told me "He did not see how I could fit the position, He just could not see it!" For whatever reason, I was not what he was looking for.

In today's job market there are many more applicants than jobs. Hiring managers can pick anyone they want. Often they pick the wrong one based on first impressions, failure to properly research the candidate or on promises that the candidate makes regarding goals, etc.

Stick with it, be honest, be yourself and you will find the right job for you.
It's disappointing that all it takes is a few minutes to build up an impression of somebody and reject them. But I guess that's something I'll have to deal with as there are more applicants than jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I have found that many companies are CLUELESS when it comes to writing job postings.
Or at least thoroughly view the resume before calling. I could tell that my resume was barely read before I got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronsbrown View Post
I'm not saying what happened is right and I would only be guessing but I think they didn't think you were a good fit for their team or that position. Don't take it personally and don't let it stop you in the future. In Real Estate you need a thick skin and short memory sometimes. People will waste your time just don't dwell on the negative just think about the better job in the near future.
Interesting. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
The job hunting process had become dehumanizing. This is an email that I received recently from a highly qualified mortgage professsional. (I've changed what I can to protect her - I don't care about the ones that have stepped all over her).

"It is frustrating as hell. I got an email from Career Builder showing who looked at my resume in the last week. There were 2 hits from a federal credit union. They had advertised a processor job on Career Builder that I applied for a couple days before they looked at my resume, yet I have never heard from them.

On Thursday last week there was a job posted for a processor position in xxxxxx and xxxxxxxx. I applied. I got a call very quickly from someone at Aerotek saying she was very interested in talking to me about the jobs. When I called her back I got her voice mail. I called again later and got her voice mail. I called 4 times on Friday. Finally I opted out and asked to talk to someone on her team, which is what her voice mail said to do. I got someone who said the office was closed for the holiday (at 3) but she said she would take my name and number and have someone call me Tuesday (today). She had also said the person I wanted to talk to was out for the day due to the holiday although her voice mail just said she was on the phone and she never said in her email or message that she was going to be out. I have tried calling today but get the voice mail.

It is very sad if this is the way these people conduct business. How can you be anxious to talk to someone about a job one day and then totally blow them off? It just so happens that Career Builder sent me a questionnaire asking about my experience dealing with Aerotek. I was not going to complete it but now I am - maybe I will get an answer from someone as to why they do this to people."

Kudos to those that treat job hunters with dignity. There are so many that could learn a thing or two from tomocox.
I once applied for a recruiter position at Aerotek. It was really not my cup of tea. The recruiter called me out of nowhere and started asking me behavioural questions, mind you I was sleeping (6 AM) and asked me to call her back if I'm interested. I called the afternoon...straight to voicemail, and the same thing the following day. That was the end of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
"...must have passion..."

Right there was a huge red flag for you.
"Passion" is not a job skill, just a wildly overused buzzword.
Yep, I told the interviewer I had passion but to no avail

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I never understand why new college graduates feel they can be "manager" of anything.... Operations Analyst, Logistics Analyst.... sure. but manager overseeing a team with no experience?
I applied for the hell of it. Here's the qualifications:
Coachable, quick-learner, easy to adapt to any environment, hard worker, willing to go the extra mile, able and ready to run a team with direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
No idea, that's what I was told.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Reading this..... They were looking for someone already in the industry with experience, that they would train to do the "specific" methods/details that they want. Not someone with no experience at anything, but has a degree. I've found the only companies that care about the college degrees and no experience are very large corporations that want you fresh out of college and have training programs with classrooms, etc.

No one is going to give you a job that requires skills and experience right out of college. You start at the bottom, just like everyone else. One thing you will realize is that degree you have will only get you in the door, at the bottom.
Yeah that makes sense. Unfortunately I was planning on going to grad school while these entrylevel jobs at the big corporations were recruiting. I had a change of heart and right now, it's only these small places.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Real estate (and I was a broker for 27 years licensed in several states) is one of the only professions that has a code of ethics and yet, they teach you to pass a test so you can put your picture on a business card and "be somebody". You pretty much know very little after you take that test and get a license. Experience in this profession is the best teacher and you get paid on productivity....not a producer....zero dollars come to you.
Thanks for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I don't mean to be disrespectful to the OP but maybe you just didn't click with the person interviewing you?

Would you be driving 60 miles everyday (120 roundtrip) if you were offered the job?
I was willing to move to that area if I was hired as I'll be moving out of my dorm upon graduation. But I feel I didn't click too well with the interviewer overall. Maybe it's because I was ultimately rejected in hindsight.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post

I once applied for a recruiter position at Aerotek. It was really not my cup of tea. The recruiter called me out of nowhere and started asking me behavioural questions, mind you I was sleeping (6 AM) and asked me to call her back if I'm interested. I called the afternoon...straight to voicemail, and the same thing the following day. That was the end of that.

recruiters are a bish to deal with. You'll find that's it's typical to never be able to reach a recruiter. 99% of the time, they ignore you after the first call.

Driving 60 miles is nothing. You have to pay to play.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:02 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
recruiters are a bish to deal with. You'll find that's it's typical to never be able to reach a recruiter. 99% of the time, they ignore you after the first call.

Driving 60 miles is nothing. You have to pay to play.
Yeah that's what I've noticed too for the most part. Either they pick up the phone all the time, or they never ever pick up.

I didn't mind driving 60 miles, I guess I don't have anything to do anyways...but the car is not even mine, so my brother would start yapping about how I wasted money on gas for nothing.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
OP, every job will train you. No matter what the job is, every new employee has to be trained to their system and particular way of doing things. That doesn't mean you can arrive with no job skills.

No business wants to put in more than a day or two to get a new employee up to speed. You must have the correct job skills to do the job with just some minor adjustments. They aren't going to teach you how to manage a team; they will only teach you what they want done differently about managing their team, and they will go over the forms that they want used with you and show you the phone system. That's what you get with "will train".

In future, be more realistic about whether or not you actually have the skills they are looking for, and if the ad isn't clear, ask a couple of questions when you call for the interview.

Also, just in case: if it is an office job where the public is going to see you, especially in a business where first impressions count, you must look like a got-it-together office person who is going to be a great ambassador to the public. You most likely know that, but sometimes youngsters surprise me with what they think is OK when interviewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals