Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:35 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,989 times

Advertisements

I applied to a posting that looked for an entry-level operations manager at Century 21. The posting said they were looking for a talented individual who will be trained for the specific details of the job, must have passion, etc. I received a call for the interview and drove the 50 miles. I get there and the guy told me the position was to work under the no.1 closer in the city, and that he was helping him interview candidates. He asked me about why I chose my major, this job entails overlooking the team, can you handle it? etc. I had an internship at a real estate broker firm, and he said: "oh, I guess the guy thought this was at a broker firm, not a real estate co., he's looking for someone with experience." "He needs someone who knows how to do this and that". "Hmm, would you be interested in other positions?" I replied with a sure... He said I would have to take an assessment test and asked for my email. Haven't received an email from him either.

That was one of the few times I've walked out of an interview pretty disappointed. The job posting clearly stated that they are going to train, 0 experience is okay, etc. Then this dude starts telling me that I need experience in "comparables" etc. I'm not sure if that was merely an excuse to X me, or if it was an honest mistake on their part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 12:45 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
You applied for a position that was way over your head; this is what happens when you do that. You wasted your time, and you wasted theirs.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:24 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
That was one of the few times I've walked out of an interview pretty disappointed.
Well, it probably won't be your last time. Getting a permanent job right out of college can be challenging--I know it was a more difficult time for me, as with many. Try not to get too discouraged--something will come along.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:25 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
I didn't read the post, didn't write the resume', and didn't attend the interview, but it looks to me like the OP has a pretty good reason to be upset.

I recently posted for a position in our firm. To every resume' which we received, I mailed even the unqualified a small gift card to a local coffee/sandwich shop.

Yes, it was expensive, but top notch corporations (we aren't there but headed that way), respect the efforts people make in application.

I am sorry that people don't seem to care about people any more.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,176,099 times
Job interviews are always difficult unless you have an inside track on the job. In your case something between you and the interviewer did not click. It could have been you or your qualifications or it could be that the interviewer was looking for someone else. Maybe the job description you viewed and the actual job were not in sync.

At one point in my previous career I was an expert at a particular technology and traveled the world training and consulting on the the subject. A few years later I applied for a position which used that same technology and would have been "child's play" for me. After my first phone interview the HR person told me "He did not see how I could fit the position, He just could not see it!" For whatever reason, I was not what he was looking for.

In today's job market there are many more applicants than jobs. Hiring managers can pick anyone they want. Often they pick the wrong one based on first impressions, failure to properly research the candidate or on promises that the candidate makes regarding goals, etc.

Stick with it, be honest, be yourself and you will find the right job for you.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
I have found that many companies are CLUELESS when it comes to writing job postings.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:01 PM

21 posts, read 28,324 times
I'm not saying what happened is right and I would only be guessing but I think they didn't think you were a good fit for their team or that position. Don't take it personally and don't let it stop you in the future. In Real Estate you need a thick skin and short memory sometimes. People will waste your time just don't dwell on the negative just think about the better job in the near future.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:32 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
The job hunting process had become dehumanizing. This is an email that I received recently from a highly qualified mortgage professsional. (I've changed what I can to protect her - I don't care about the ones that have stepped all over her).

"It is frustrating as hell. I got an email from Career Builder showing who looked at my resume in the last week. There were 2 hits from a federal credit union. They had advertised a processor job on Career Builder that I applied for a couple days before they looked at my resume, yet I have never heard from them.

On Thursday last week there was a job posted for a processor position in xxxxxx and xxxxxxxx. I applied. I got a call very quickly from someone at Aerotek saying she was very interested in talking to me about the jobs. When I called her back I got her voice mail. I called again later and got her voice mail. I called 4 times on Friday. Finally I opted out and asked to talk to someone on her team, which is what her voice mail said to do. I got someone who said the office was closed for the holiday (at 3) but she said she would take my name and number and have someone call me Tuesday (today). She had also said the person I wanted to talk to was out for the day due to the holiday although her voice mail just said she was on the phone and she never said in her email or message that she was going to be out. I have tried calling today but get the voice mail.

It is very sad if this is the way these people conduct business. How can you be anxious to talk to someone about a job one day and then totally blow them off? It just so happens that Career Builder sent me a questionnaire asking about my experience dealing with Aerotek. I was not going to complete it but now I am - maybe I will get an answer from someone as to why they do this to people."

Kudos to those that treat job hunters with dignity. There are so many that could learn a thing or two from tomocox.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:48 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
I applied to a posting that looked for an entry-level operations manager at Century 21. The posting said they were looking for a talented individual who will be trained for the specific details of the job, must have passion, etc. I received a call for the interview and drove the 50 miles. I get there and the guy told me the position was to work under the no.1 closer in the city, and that he was helping him interview candidates. He asked me about why I chose my major, this job entails overlooking the team, can you handle it? etc. I had an internship at a real estate broker firm, and he said: "oh, I guess the guy thought this was at a broker firm, not a real estate co., he's looking for someone with experience." "He needs someone who knows how to do this and that". "Hmm, would you be interested in other positions?" I replied with a sure... He said I would have to take an assessment test and asked for my email. Haven't received an email from him either.

That was one of the few times I've walked out of an interview pretty disappointed. The job posting clearly stated that they are going to train, 0 experience is okay, etc. Then this dude starts telling me that I need experience in "comparables" etc. I'm not sure if that was merely an excuse to X me, or if it was an honest mistake on their part.
"...must have passion..."

Right there was a huge red flag for you.
"Passion" is not a job skill, just a wildly overused buzzword.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:49 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
I never understand why new college graduates feel they can be "manager" of anything.... Operations Analyst, Logistics Analyst.... sure. but manager overseeing a team with no experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals