Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:48 AM

404 posts, read 897,949 times

Advertisements

-

Thanks for answering my question as to if both are Realtors

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I know the "major" one is, the other I assume so.

In general, the state looks to the Realtors to self-police via the Code of Ethics, and the state respects the Realtors’ adjudication of their COE as if it is law.

Therefore it’s not easy to separate ‘legal’ from ‘ethical’.
However the licensed agents who are not Realtors ( and usually not successful in their career) are not bound by the Code of Ethics.

So without going too much into
that you first asked about soliciting to re-list before the listing expired (unethical and therefore quasi-illegal if both are Realtors)

but now are asking about soliciting for a different service (not unethical but perhaps very sleazy)

there could be a different interpretations of such soliciting depending on whether or not both are Realtors.

-

Last edited by gv28; 07-12-2014 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 02:26 PM

497 posts, read 428,090 times
I gotta ask - what is the reason for this being unethical? Not just 'coz the NAR says so, by why is it actually unethical?

Old 07-12-2014, 02:47 PM

Perhaps it would help if you imagined

an attorney - client relationship

or maybe

a husband - wife relationship

then realize

Realtor - client relationship: >>>> higher

-

Last edited by gv28; 07-12-2014 at 03:10 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 03:47 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,211,637 times
Quote:
Perhaps it would help if you imagined

an attorney - client relationship

or maybe

a husband - wife relationship

then realize

Realtor - client relationship: >>>> higher

I have to be honest - I don't see that. Are you stating your opinion or are there actual cases that you are aware of ? Take my wife... please...

Old 07-12-2014, 03:53 PM

I'm not sure what you mean either - but don't take me too seriously

Old 07-14-2014, 08:56 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheGrouch View Post
I gotta ask - what is the reason for this being unethical? Not just 'coz the NAR says so, by why is it actually unethical?
A lot of what the NAR does is simply to protect Realtors, IMHO.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
A lot of what the NAR does is simply to protect Realtors, IMHO.
Yes, but I think there is a side of this that helps consumers, too.

Look at the heavily used niche of prospecting Expired and Withdrawn listings.
Imagine if Realtors could prospect Active listed sellers, "I can get you a lot more money, better photos, cheaper fees, yadda yadda," ad infinitum, because that is what would happen.

Listing agreements only define the agent-client relationship, and don't control other agents at all.
Consumers have enough problems with agent ineptitude and abuse without opening them up to tons more just because they listed.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:32 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes, but I think there is a side of this that helps consumers, too.

Look at the heavily used niche of prospecting Expired and Withdrawn listings.
Imagine if Realtors could prospect Active listed sellers, "I can get you a lot more money, better photos, cheaper fees, yadda yadda," ad infinitum, because that is what would happen.
Yes, very true. I just know that I would have no qualms about informing (or even soliciting) clients of one particular Realtor I know. Getting them away from this particular low-life would truly be a public service.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:20 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Questionable at best, definitely not ethical.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:00 PM

127 posts, read 134,623 times
A related question:

Seller has property listed with Broker A. Seller's listing is set to expire in two weeks. Seller contacts Broker B on the advice of a friend. Seller asks Broker B for opinion on pricing, how they would market the property, etc. Seller is favorably impressed and decides to switch to Broker B after listing expires.

In the meantime, Broker B prepares for the new listing by discussing terms with Seller, taking photos of the property, performing a Comparative Market Analysis, and generally being helpful. Broker B accesses the property 4 times before Broker A's listing expires in order to prepare for new listing.

Is this an ethics violation? The state is California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals