Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:52 PM

166 posts, read 411,750 times

Advertisements

If a seller placed me in a situation where they wished to ban particular agent(s) then I would pass on the listing because of the vicarious liability. Declining a showing is one thing, which is in the full right and discretion of a seller, but voicing and hinting at what will be subjectively interpreted as discrimination and retaliatory action (and trying to have it in the listing contract is a double ended sword), is pairing the (listing) agent with a flirtatious tango with Fair Housing. That "loathed" agent in question still does represent buyers and what the seller/listing agent is doing is denying willing and able buyers access to a property on the market, which is violation of fair housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 07:58 PM

404 posts, read 898,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
For those RE agents that responded or who will respond, have you ever refused (or suggested refusal for) entry of a third-party vendor such as a home inspector, an appraiser, a repair contractor, etc.

Never denied such, but I am always there when a third party goes in,
if it is in regards to a contract. Either side. But then I’m clinically anal.*

*See other thread re surgical mask and gloves.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:12 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv28 View Post
Yes absolutely. If it were my listing, I would want the owners of the property to send the person/agent a letter directly, banning them from the property, and I'd want a copy of the letter in my file, and I think to the board. This would be an unusual situation, and I think I would further ask the Board if they had any objection. Actually I'd pass on the listing.
In my situation, I talked them out of it and said I would be there. I understood why they wanted to ban this particular agent. I think it can be worked out without having to go to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDillo View Post
For those RE agents that responded or who will respond, have you ever refused (or suggested refusal for) entry of a third-party vendor such as a home inspector, an appraiser, a repair contractor, etc.
No, but I have had one agent ask me not to use my favorite home inspector. She knows I recommend him and she hates him. He's nit picky.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Blackball an agent? No. But bad agents get a rep very quickly in this town -- everyone knows who the bad ones are. But instead of blackballing them, you just know that it's not going to be an easy closing, you know she's going to take days to respond to your question, but expect answers to hers within 5 minutes, you know she is going to take every item on an amendment to address concerns personally and run down your inspector and your buyers for pickyness and unreasonableness (sorry, kinda thought there SHOULD be a working hot water heater, me bad. . . . ), you know she is going to insist on a walk-through at the very worst moment of moving and get pissy with you if you suggest an earlier or later time, you know she won't get around to having docs signed until closing, and then will hold up closing becuase she HAS to have these docs signed by her broker . . . *sigh*. You know she will wait until the very last second to ask for an appraisal extension, and then be angry because your clients are out of town and don't have access to wi-fi to sign it electronically RIGHT THEN AND THERE. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals