Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:17 AM

42 posts, read 80,376 times

Advertisements

We are at the end stage of 2nd sales contract. Our agent is very bad. We want to sign the settlement papers,distribute the commission check, and leave. Never want to see him again.

Listing mistakes that he never corrected. (brick fireplace,incorrect lot size)

1st buyer represented by our agents son, never gave pre-approval letter. Constantly saying "she's gold" without any proof.

Prior to VA Mtg Inspection, he said he would shock our well for us. We had no idea what that meant. Turns out that was a no-no. Our water reeked of chlorine when inspector came, so we had to tell him what happened.

Never had VA appraisal from this buyer. 10 days prior to closing agent said she did not qualify. We called, e-mailed, and text-ed our agent asking about progress with buyers mtg. and he said it was a go up until it wasn't.

re-listed and in 3 days had 2nd buyer under contract. Great, got all proper letters, appraisal done, and this one is going to happen. Mtg commitment extension was filed,all is good.

Received call from our agent we needed to sign some document quickly, he didn't say what it was for. Waited for e-mail. Nothing. After 3 hours called him. Oh, he made a mistake he thought he was speaking to another client. We had nothing to sign. Sorry.

Friday 10 days before closing he calls me. I am at grocery store. He says "Hello, I have some bad news. Buyers want out of contract. Heard something bad about our community". I almost pass out in the store. My husband yells whats wrong?. Agent then realizes he once again called the wrong client. WHAT!!!!! He's sorry he thought I was another client. Our sale is all on track. So sorry once again.

So I never want to see him again. We are retired and of a certain age. We really prefer never having to talk or see him again. Take your money and leave us alone. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 08:40 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
No, I think I would feel the same way after those "oops, I called the wrong client" phone calls. If you are comfortable with closing without the agent, tell them you do not want them there, then email or text to confirm in writing.

Personally, I think the best approach FOR YOU would be to call the title company. Ask them to put the agent in another room where they can wait just in case you need them. Where you will not have to see them unless you need them. Let the agent know that YOU have arranged this so the title company doesn't get in a hassle with the agent.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:48 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
Not sure about your location but in Florida a buyer or seller doesn't need to be there at the closing. It (all the paperwork) can be done ahead of time or it can be done remotely. Talk to your closing agent.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:20 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Sure, just tell him not to come to closing. Best of luck and hope it goes well.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:02 AM

Thank you for the responses. I would think our agent would be embarrassed to show his face. I'm in PA so we might just call the title agent and ask what recourse we have. Also, should we attend the walk through? I was going to buy a bottle of wine & card for the new owners. They are a young couple and first time buyers. Is that appropriate to leave a gift?

Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
i would call his manaaging broker or broker in charge - explain that you require another broker to sit with you at closing.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:11 AM

I don't want to cause a problem for our agent. I don't want him to lose his job. The real estate market here is very bad. He's just a really bad agent. BTW I was an administrative assistant for a large RE agency, so I know agents are a bit quirky.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:37 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
There are some times when an agent shouldn't be at closing. You can tell him personally via phone, email, or text... or if you don't want confrontation, just schedule your closing with the title company and ask them to tell the agent not to be there. He doesn't even need to be in a separate room. He needs to NOT be there.

There have been 2 times I was not at closing. One, the new wife accused me of wanting her new husband because he cheated on the previous wife with her, so of course she thought he was cheating on her with me... husband asked me not to come, so I didn't. The second time, Mr Buyer was mad and wanted more money and called everyone he could think of to try to get the builder not to pay me but to give him the money. Mrs. Buyer said I should just stay away and collect my check after closing. I continued to help her, but never spoke with him again.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:45 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,427,019 times
You can certinally request them not to come to the closing. I'd call the office manager after the closing to let me know. The gift would be perfect.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:51 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlady09 View Post
Also, should we attend the walk through? I was going to buy a bottle of wine & card for the new owners. They are a young couple and first time buyers. Is that appropriate to leave a gift?

IMHO it's not necessary for you to be there for the final walk through.

Leaving a welcome gift for the new homeowners is a lovely gesture that some of my clients have done as well - it's always appreciated and puts a smile on the face of the recipients
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals