Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 03:14 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times

Advertisements

These are always fun calls. Particularly with an 85 year old broker in the middle.

First off you need to do what homework you can...does she mean it or not?

That is the crucail question. When dealing with hard core real estate people all commissions are negotiable. You work a year on a 2.5 million sale and then give up half your commission at the end.

Yeah I know...it is in the MLS contract. Ever do a short sale? Ever see the bank cut the commissions? You figured a way to tell them they can't do that? And this smells of commercial...so all the normal "you can't do that" are by the board.

What does your client say? Willing to go look for another property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 08:57 PM

506 posts, read 2,280,259 times
Default Mike remember I am

the buyers broker so i don't write up the contract. they write it up and send it to my client so she will already have my commission slashed......Like I said do I tell my client that he has to pay the difference, and why should he, I already told the sellers agent to go to hell , I did my job, so pay me what you offered me.....it just really pisses me off that this is happening to me by one of your own. I don't care if I don't get this client to buy another property from me, i will not lower my commission, especially being the buyers broker....their aren't many buyers out their buying this type of property I hope she gets in the low 500s now....I tell all my clients , in this market your first offer might be your best , and only offer so be careful..............MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HApPY HOlIDAY'S TO you All................. Time to put the kids presents under the tree...........

Old 12-24-2007, 09:36 PM

403 posts, read 1,170,446 times
Because it's Christmans, I'd tell them to screw themselves.

Any other time of year, my language would be a hell of a lot stronger.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Young View Post
Because it's Christmans, I'd tell them to screw themselves.

Any other time of year, my language would be a hell of a lot stronger.
I would take the 12K and go caroling.

One may also take the 0 K and the righteous position and go caroling...

Whatever turns you on...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:50 PM

506 posts, read 2,280,259 times
Default why not take 1/3 rd of what you

made last year and throw it out the window. minus all your expenses for the year and what do you have left......I'll tell you an unemployed agent...........I have to stand on my Principles. I have Been showing this client property for 5 months............is it still worth it I think NOT......MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALSO............

Old 12-24-2007, 11:48 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
the buyers broker so i don't write up the contract. they write it up and send it to my client so she will already have my commission slashed......Like I said do I tell my client that he has to pay the difference, and why should he, I already told the sellers agent to go to hell , I did my job, so pay me what you offered me.....it just really pisses me off that this is happening to me by one of your own. I don't care if I don't get this client to buy another property from me, i will not lower my commission, especially being the buyers broker....their aren't many buyers out their buying this type of property I hope she gets in the low 500s now....I tell all my clients , in this market your first offer might be your best , and only offer so be careful..............MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HApPY HOlIDAY'S TO you All................. Time to put the kids presents under the tree...........
Completely agree. There is a big difference in having to cut your commission to get the deal done, and somoene who, after you do the job, decides they want to pay you what they agreed to.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:27 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
What hit is the other agent taking? I wonder if perhaps the other agent is just trying to get you to take the whole reduction...or is this seller actually saying that she's going to reduce the commission by two thirds... I doubt it. Wow. A Californian AND a New Yorker, lol.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:38 AM
TCK

166 posts, read 565,462 times
When reading, I thought of the following:

1. No to reduction in commission. If sale falls through because of this can you go to civil count?

2. She is 85 and is offering owner financing? Odd. Will her children then benefit because she will be long gone before that house is paid off.

3. She is 85 and worried about capital gains? Once again must be worried about those who will inherent her mass fortune.

I guess you cannot blame someone for trying to save money but it seems a little tasteless to me. Maybe she should clip coupons instead.

Good luck, and just say NO!

Old 12-25-2007, 08:51 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
The capital gains will only be on 100k of the sale and it's not your buyers problem. It's in the buyers interest I would think to buy it outright. Some good points on commission here too.

Personally, I wouldn't take a hit up front or they'll probably come back asking for more before closing. I would also want something paid up front if they do go owner financing and don't close immediately.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
The capital gains will only be on 100k of the sale and it's not your buyers problem. It's in the buyers interest I would think to buy it outright. Some good points on commission here too.

Personally, I wouldn't take a hit up front or they'll probably come back asking for more before closing. I would also want something paid up front if they do go owner financing and don't close immediately.
Again guys we are getting ahead of ourselves. There are valid reasons for an installment sale. It can have a significant impact on the taxes on a property with high capital gain taxes. It basically spreands the taxes over a span of years and may well cut the rate substantially.

An 85 year old Real Estate Operator can demand anything she wants. If you won't give it to her she won't sell you the property...simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals