Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:31 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
Got an appt with my atty.
Exactly the right thing to do.

Hope it all works out for you with the least stress possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:47 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
First, there is nothing wrong with a termination fee. I have them in all my agreements. It helps recoup costs when you spend a lot of money marketing, and then the seller willy-nilly decides not to sell. You're in a different situation. He never did anything so he's out nothing.

However, you did sign it, so it's binding... But also on the other hand, he is not allowed to market your house for sale without your permission, part of the Code of Ethics. You've taken your permission away. He can hold a listing agreement for your house without actually marketing it for sale. You would not have to pay the $1000 termination fee at that point because you're allowing the contract to stay alive, but just on paper. Make sense? If you have no plans on relisting with another company for these 6 months, just let him keep the listing, without permission to market it, and the agreement dies a slow death thru the date it expires.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 PM

295 posts, read 832,666 times
Thanks. Part of the rest of the problem is that the Broker did not deliver a cooy of the signed listing agreement to us within the 24 hours required by FS 275.25 r. We have no copy of the signed listing agreement, only the preprinted form (that he brought with him) already filled out without the changes we specified. I have no idea where the signed copy us but our attorney will obtain one and help us file the complaint about that. It's a minor complaint with maybe just a fine for him if we prevail, but it's something. Clauses we changed are not, of course, in the pre-typed unsigned form.

If we do let the listing lapse, he might have slipped through the one-year listing term. We don't know that, but the listing agreement is dated Sept 29th and we have never seen it since. We insisted that it be 6 months and if they're doing a decent job I'd relist.

Thanks for your helpful advice! .

No, we now have no plans of relisting. I'll probably die here, lol.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:41 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Maybe it's spiteful but I think I would tell him I wouldn't sell to him at any price. It's still your house and no one can make you sell.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:13 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
It sounds like you've already figured out your choices. If it was me, I'd tell him to forget the $1000 and put the listing in MLS with one exterior photo (unless your contract requires more). Tell him you will allow showings as you are able (read your contract again to see what your specific responsibilities as the seller are and aren't) and tell him you don't want to see offers unless they are full price. You might even tell him you want the listing to specifically state that you will not look at offers that are not for full price. That should cut down the showings even further. Or, he can cancel the listing agreement with no charge to you and make sure you get that in writing.

Good luck.
Raise the price to $1,000,000 while you're at it. At least that's what I'd do.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:04 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Trivettes - Sadly, your situation is not that uncommon. My wife and I both have Florida real estate licenses, and we are not far from you. Cancellation fees vary widely (our broker doesn't require them) but one of the other, larger, local brokers has a $500 fee and they stick to it as far as I know. I used to run the accounting department for a very large company and one thing I learned is that "sometimes you just have to hold your nose and sign the check". That's what I'd suggest you do.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:21 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Raise the price to $1,000,000 while you're at it. At least that's what I'd do.
That's exactly what I would do. Brandon beat me to it.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:29 PM

492 posts, read 638,274 times
Call the local paper. Explain the problem to their problem solver columnist. Let your realtor decide if the publicity is worth the $1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals