Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:10 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times

Advertisements

Dave, you are correct.
However, I have found that many Clients/Customers are not willing to take the time/effort to go through the grievance process. They just want to move onto someone who is going to treat them right and get the job done. Whether a member of NAR or not.
While I am a member of NAR, I do take issue with insinuations and ads implying that, unless your agent is a Realtor (R) he or she may somehow be lacking in the ethics department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
You aren't a Realtor until you join NAR..you are a licensee.
The only choice I had was to decide if I wanted to use the MLS or not...the local boards would not allow me to if I was not a member of NAR.
Actually, that is not completely true.

One can have access to the MLS and not be a REALTOR - The infamous case against SDAR (San Diego Assn of REALTORS) changed the "rules"

Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, that is not completely true.

One can have access to the MLS and not be a REALTOR - The infamous case against SDAR (San Diego Assn of REALTORS) changed the "rules"
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Arizona, I believe if the broker belongs to NAR and the local associations, then the agent must belong.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:51 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
What Great Day said was partially correct in that most MLS's have a public site; however, in order to have full access to all the information such as expiration dates and property history, paid membership is required.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
What Great Day said was partially correct in that most MLS's have a public site; however, in order to have full access to all the information such as expiration dates and property history, paid membership is required.
Not in NAR. In San Diego and other places a Broker need not belong to NAR in order to be a full member of the MLS.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:09 PM

We have several Brokers, and agents with them, who have full access to the MLS - and are not members of the National, State or Local Associations.

The last time I checked, there were some 200, Non Realtor members of ARMLS

Old 01-04-2008, 04:16 PM

353 posts, read 1,728,359 times
[quote=palmcoasting;2401334]You aren't a Realtor until you join NAR..you are a licensee.
QUOTE]

Everyone who passed the test and obtained their license is a "licensee".
A Realtor is a member of NAR and a real estate agent is not a member of NAR.

You have to be a member NAR to join our MLS and most of the companies in my area will not "hire" anyone who is not a member of NAR.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:45 PM

[quote=PghREA;2418764You have to be a member NAR to join our MLS and most of the companies in my area will not "hire" anyone who is not a member of NAR.[/quote]

We have a number of non REALTOR offices here. And some, as I previously mentioned, have access to the MLS.

I'm going to hazard a guess - you might want to check this out: I'll bet that you have some non-REALTOR MLS members - Since the SANDICOR case went to the Federal courts, non-REALTOR members really cannot be denied access.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
Hmm. I wonder if it's a state or local type thing because in my area you can not be a member of our association unless you are a member of NAR. You can not have access to the local MLS unless you belong to the association. So, if I'm not NAR, then I can't be FAR and I can't be FCAR which means no MLS. That's the way I understood it. Heck, I'd love to get rid of some of these fees I pay but I'd be dead in the water if I didn't have my local mls. I think.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:51 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
So, if I'm not NAR, then I can't be FAR and I can't be FCAR which means no MLS.
And if there is no MLS then you're SOL

The devil made me do that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals