Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 03:59 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
Everything's negotiable. Why should a real estate commission be any different?

Besides, the real estate community's monopoly of the MLS (realtors' main purpose) will eventually crumble, just like the full service brokerage business did back in the 70s.
Sugarbeet: MLS was developed and is maintained by Realtors. We pay for it and continue to pay for it. Every year. Many of us are members of multiple MLS' and paying through the nose for it. A monopoly? If anyone else wants to find a better way of consolidating all of the data, pay for the IT and the personnel to maintain it, they're certainly welcome to take on that monumental task.
As someone said on other another forum (I'm sorry I cannot remember who or where) and I'm paraphrasing: I don't see anyone knocking down the Keebler Elves tree trunk to get their cookie recipes. There are other ways of obtaining MLS information, we just pay a lot of people to get it for us, in the best interests of our clients.
If you'd like to contribute to the expenses of maintaining an MLS system, please feel free to get a license, pay your fees and annual dues. You, too, can enjoy full access to the MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
No, I don't think anyone should work for free.

BUT, I would be all for a set amount to pay. It should not be based on 6% of the sales price. Is a sale of a $500,000 house that much more paperwork to sell than a $200,000 house?

That is our struggle.

Dawn

Old 01-03-2008, 04:06 PM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
105 posts, read 71,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Sugarbeet: MLS was developed and is maintained by Realtors. We pay for it and continue to pay for it. Every year. Many of us are members of multiple MLS' and paying through the nose for it. A monopoly? If anyone else wants to find a better way of consolidating all of the data, pay for the IT and the personnel to maintain it, they're certainly welcome to take on that monumental task.
As someone said on other another forum (I'm sorry I cannot remember who or where) and I'm paraphrasing: I don't see anyone knocking down the Keebler Elves tree trunk to get their cookie recipes. There are other ways of obtaining MLS information, we just pay a lot of people to get it for us, in the best interests of our clients.
If you'd like to contribute to the expenses of maintaining an MLS system, please feel free to get a license, pay your fees and annual dues. You, too, can enjoy full access to the MLS.
I think that was the point.

We shouldn't need a license to see simple home listings. If the system were open to the general public the cost would be dramatically lower as well. You pay through the nose because it's a closed system, that only a few may access.

Much like the monopoly stock brokers and other market pros had on "real time" quotes, the MLS will eventually be open to the public. It's just a matter of time. Now anyone can get level three quotes if they pay for access. The same will happen with MLS.

It's only a matter of time.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:09 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

BUT, I would be all for a set amount to pay. It should not be based on 6% of the sales price. Is a sale of a $500,000 house that much more paperwork to sell than a $200,000 house?

That is our struggle.

Dawn

Dawn, you need to read many of the previous posts on this as it has been addressed ad infinitum.........
The bottom line is, the risk and expenses involved in the two examples you give are different.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalGab View Post
I think that was the point.

We shouldn't need a license to see simple home listings. If the system were open to the general public the cost would be dramatically lower as well. You pay through the nose because it's a closed system, that only a few may access.

Much like the monopoly stock brokers and other market pros had on "real time" quotes, the MLS will eventually be open to the public. It's just a matter of time. Now anyone can get level three quotes if they pay for access. The same will happen with MLS.

It's only a matter of time.
So, how much annually, would you be willing to contribute to my expenses so you can have access to the MLS system? And for how long? Only when you need/want it?
My point is, the information on MLS is available to anyone willing to do the legwork. MLS does the legwork, so you don't have to. If you want it easy, you can pay just like I do. Otherwise, spend all your time in the Assessor's office, the Registry, etc.
Thousands of people have gone belly up because stock quotes were readily available, but they didn't know how to interpret them or the market. I don't make stock purchases without a professional, even though the information is available to me. And he's worth every penny I pay him. I know what I know, and I know what don't know.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
Dawn, you need to read many of the previous posts on this as it has been addressed ad infinitum.........
The bottom line is, the risk and expenses involved in the two examples you give are different.
Paperwork? I wish that was all that was involved. As gbone indicated, there are many previous posts on this subject.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:28 PM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
105 posts, read 71,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
So, how much annually, would you be willing to contribute to my expenses so you can have access to the MLS system? And for how long? Only when you need/want it?
My point is, the information on MLS is available to anyone willing to do the legwork. MLS does the legwork, so you don't have to. If you want it easy, you can pay just like I do. Otherwise, spend all your time in the Assessor's office, the Registry, etc.
Thousands of people have gone belly up because stock quotes were readily available, but they didn't know how to interpret them or the market. I don't make stock purchases without a professional, even though the information is available to me. And he's worth every penny I pay him. I know what I know, and I know what don't know.

So what you're saying is the MLS system being closed is to protect stupid RE investors?

Now that's funny.

Please, don't do me any favors. I think I can hold my own with an MLS listing in my hands. I know it's tough , but I think little ole me can handle it.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:32 PM

Who said anything about RE investors? Investors don't "invest" in MLS.
Best of luck to you.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

That is our struggle.

Dawn
It is not apples and apples. As I have said elsewhere multiple times...I would much rather list three 200K homes than one 600K home. The 600K home is just vastly harder to sell. In the paper work sense it is likely less. But in the time, money and effort it is vastly more. With 200K homes I will have sold at least two in 60 days. I could well be still marketing the 600K place in 6 months or a year.

I doubt you would get much relief by alternate payment systems. The RE Agent is not particularly well paid and the industry is not highly profitable. If some significant differences could be made in how it is structured it might be possible to run it much more efficiently. But that really deals with Things that are very unlikely to change in the short or middle future. Maybe longer term.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:38 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalGab View Post
We shouldn't need a license to see simple home listings. If the system were open to the general public the cost would be dramatically lower as well. , the MLS will eventually be open to the public. It's just a matter of time. Now anyone can get level three quotes if they pay for access. The same will happen with MLS..
I must disagree.

There are several issues that are often overlooked by those who make similiar comments as yours. Not the least of which is, the issue of security.

Most sellers do not want "just anyone" knowing their address, telephone numbers, when they are out, gate codes etc - an "open" MLS as you suggest would actually make it more dangerous for sellers.

Hence why the information on the "public side" of the MLS is filtered the way it is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals