Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:00 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times

Advertisements

I will apologize now for not reading through all the previous posts.

I will just say that our last house did sell for 600K and it sold in less than a month.

Isn't it somewhat dependent on the location of the house? Some parts of the country sell very quickly while some are at more of a stand-still right now.

We have never had to sit more than a month to sell though, so I am a bit jaded that way. Our first house sold in under 48 hours and our second house sold in 3 weeks. This past house (our most expensive yet) sold in about 4 weeks.

The neighborhood I am currently in has had 2 houses for sale this past year. One sold in 3 months (overpriced in my opinion was the problem), the other sold in 7 days!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
It is not apples and apples. As I have said elsewhere multiple times...I would much rather list three 200K homes than one 600K home. The 600K home is just vastly harder to sell. In the paper work sense it is likely less. But in the time, money and effort it is vastly more. With 200K homes I will have sold at least two in 60 days. I could well be still marketing the 600K place in 6 months or a year.

I doubt you would get much relief by alternate payment systems. The RE Agent is not particularly well paid and the industry is not highly profitable. If some significant differences could be made in how it is structured it might be possible to run it much more efficiently. But that really deals with Things that are very unlikely to change in the short or middle future. Maybe longer term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I will apologize now for not reading through all the previous posts.

I will just say that our last house did sell for 600K and it sold in less than a month.

Isn't it somewhat dependent on the location of the house? Some parts of the country sell very quickly while some are at more of a stand-still right now.

We have never had to sit more than a month to sell though, so I am a bit jaded that way. Our first house sold in under 48 hours and our second house sold in 3 weeks. This past house (our most expensive yet) sold in about 4 weeks.

The neighborhood I am currently in has had 2 houses for sale this past year. One sold in 3 months (overpriced in my opinion was the problem), the other sold in 7 days!

Dawn
Hey if it is that hot just FSBO it. We had some tracts here in 2004 where investors were going door to door making private offers. All you needed in those blocks was a FSBO sign in the window and the buyers came right in.

I will do the paper work on a basically completed sale for 1.25%. That covers the meager costs and the liability and makes a little profit. If you don't need any marketing or help in pricing why pay for it?

I am surprised selling more expensive homes in Charlotte is so easy. It looks like about half of Charlotte sales took longer than 90 days so it must be something about your neighborhood. Good choice.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:45 PM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
105 posts, read 71,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I must disagree.

There are several issues that are often overlooked by those who make similiar comments as yours. Not the least of which is, the issue of security.

Most sellers do not want "just anyone" knowing their address, telephone numbers, when they are out, gate codes etc - an "open" MLS as you suggest would actually make it more dangerous for sellers.

Hence why the information on the "public side" of the MLS is filtered the way it is
Yeah, privacy.

The "for sale" sign out front is the equivalent of a black helicopter.

The phone number and other info thing can be rectified by having a tiered system. Sure, there is some info only a licensed realtor should see. Most of it is just public record collected in one place, so there should be no privacy issues with the bulk of the listing.

All we would need is different levels of access. Problem solved.

The bottom line is this is your profession. The last thing you're going to do is concede that some information is withheld to protect the profession. So I'll drop this one.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:47 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
It is my understanding that real estate sales in New Jersey are quite unlike any other place on this green earth.

If the word *incestuous* could be used to describe it, I would. Most of the country understands it is best to cooperate with other brokerages, except NJ. The in house deal is the only/best possible deal. Whether or not it screws the sellers.

As far as I understand a part of NJ just voted to begin IDX/ILD service. So maybe the reason for you not getting any listing emails consistently, is that there is no such animal.

p.s. I can't wait for the neg rep for using the *i* word.
You're so incorrect it's funny.

Almost every brokerage cooperates with the others and we have a very active MLS. (I say almost every because I have to allow that there might be one who doesn't, but in fairness I don't know of one.)
The vast majority of deals are cooperatinv, NOT in house.
Most of us do not want to, and even activlyt work not to, screw their seller clients.
We've had IDX for a few years, amd all the major companies participate.

You know, I can appreciate that you might be misinformed about a market that isn't your own, but the drivel you posted is so innacurate it almost appears to heve been done out of animosity.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Who said anything about RE investors? Investors don't "invest" in MLS.
Best of luck to you.
huh?

Investors use MLS just like anyone else. How do the investors you know sell houses? Telemarketing?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:54 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalGab View Post
Yeah, privacy.

The "for sale" sign out front is the equivalent of a black helicopter.

The phone number and other info thing can be rectified by having a tiered system. Sure, there is some info only a licensed realtor should see. Most of it is just public record collected in one place, so there should be no privacy issues with the bulk of the listing.

All we would need is different levels of access. Problem solved.

The bottom line is this is your profession. The last thing you're going to do is concede that some information is withheld to protect the profession. So I'll drop this one.
You have it. It's called Realtor.com.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
You have it. It's called Realtor.com.
Realtor.com is cute, but it's severely lacking.

That's the problem with that site. It's an "empty suit". It doesn't tell me one of the key factors, which is how many days the property has been on the market. They used to have tax info, but that's gone now.

...but hey, at least you didn't mention "Zillow", lol.

Anyway, at this stage of the game straight listings are irrelevant.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbeet View Post
Everything's negotiable. Why should a real estate commission be any different?

Besides, the real estate community's monopoly of the MLS (realtors' main purpose) will eventually crumble, just like the full service brokerage business did back in the 70s.
Real estate commissions are negotiable too, and I don't recall anyone suggesting they shouldn't be.
The MLS was created for & by real estate agents for their own use. Somehow, people now see it as a commodity to which they should have free access. That's incorrect. The information is out there to be had, feel free to go out & collect it. The collection you know as the MLS was paid for by someone, and if you aren't a real estate professional, that someone was not you.
And last, but most important, if you see the main purpose of a Realtor as his MLS, you either; a) have no idea what a Realtor can & should be doing for you, or b) have never worked with a good Realtor. As I said, the information is out there for you to find. Realtor.com, craigslist, google, my web site his web site her web site every third agents web site and every brokers web site, magazines at the grocery store, every newspaper and their online partners. Hell, in the month that I've been a member I've posted specifis search results here for free, to completely unnamed & anonymous people looking for data. If that's all I had to offer, do you really think I'd throw it out there for nothing? And any Realtor who exists simply to provide that info and sign contracts isn't long for the business.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,905 times
In my area, they re-named the MLS to a BLC, "Broker's Listing Cooperative" in an attempt to get it out of the consumer's head that this is a public site. I suppose they feel that putting in the name "BROKER'S" helps remind people that we pay for it, and own the site, they can get the info elsewhere, but this site is paid for by Realtors.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalGab View Post
Realtor.com is cute, but it's severely lacking.

That's the problem with that site. It's an "empty suit". It doesn't tell me one of the key factors, which is how many days the property has been on the market. They used to have tax info, but that's gone now.

...but hey, at least you didn't mention "Zillow", lol.

Anyway, at this stage of the game straight listings are irrelevant.
See that? We give you a tier appropriate to the consumer and you immediately ask for a parameter appropriate to a tier that can fairly be considered private to the seller and agents..

It was ever thus...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals