Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times

Advertisements

Well, I will say that our last 3 houses were in California, but I do feel we made the right choice of where to buy in the Charlotte area when we did.....I thought we were moving to the middle of nowhere when we got here, but not only has everything built up around us, but you can't get land here anymore and we bought land and can have horses, so we are going to do well.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Hey if it is that hot just FSBO it. We had some tracts here in 2004 where investors were going door to door making private offers. All you needed in those blocks was a FSBO sign in the window and the buyers came right in.

I will do the paper work on a basically completed sale for 1.25%. That covers the meager costs and the liability and makes a little profit. If you don't need any marketing or help in pricing why pay for it?

I am surprised selling more expensive homes in Charlotte is so easy. It looks like about half of Charlotte sales took longer than 90 days so it must be something about your neighborhood. Good choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 08:01 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Well, I will say that our last 3 houses were in California, but I do feel we made the right choice of where to buy in the Charlotte area when we did.....I thought we were moving to the middle of nowhere when we got here, but not only has everything built up around us, but you can't get land here anymore and we bought land and can have horses, so we are going to do well.

Dawn

"Under all, there is the land."

Old 01-03-2008, 08:28 PM

377 posts, read 1,728,097 times
I find it a bit strange. Isn't the ultimate goal to sell the house that you're listing? But you're restricting potential buyers from the mls information that could help a potential buyer find your listing. Some of the realtors on these forums have asked for non-realtor feedback. OK here it is.... a lot of people don't like using realtors to show them homes. They like researching properties and prices via the internet and like looking at homes without realtors. There are several reasons for this - they might not want to bother realtors because they haven't narrowed down their search, have limited time to see properties, etc. But whatever the reason, restricting mls property access is actually hindering the buying process for all of these people...... and it's your listings that your restricting them from.

Last edited by stevep; 01-03-2008 at 08:37 PM..

Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
I find it a bit strange. Isn't the ultimate goal to sell the house that you're listing? But you're restricting potential buyers from the mls information that could help a potential buyer find your listing. Some of the realtors on these forums have asked for non-realtor feedback. OK here it is.... a lot of people don't like using realtors to show them homes. They like researching properties and prices via the internet and like looking at homes without realtors. There are several reasons for this - they might not want to bother realtors because they haven't narrowed down their search, have limited time to see properties, etc. But whatever the reason, restricting mls property access is actually hindering the buying process for all of these people...... and it's your listings that your restricting them from.
Are you actually talking about unrestricted access to the actual properties? You're not advocating that when someone puts his/her home up for sale, it should be open to the public are you?

As someone else mentioned, maybe ad nauseum, is that realtor.com offers you the opportunity to search for properties in any area of the country. And I believe most local boards have a public and a private section of their MLS systems online. Ours does: http://public.grar.com/public/pubsrch.mac/start, and we're not that large of a metro area.

And if you want the "private level" data, then you have to pay more to see it. You also have to agree to be open to oversight and abide by a code of ethics.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:08 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:

People who cognitively ignore the resources available, i.e., professionals, may well be proactively deciding to hobble themselves. I respect their right to make that decision. I think it a little foolish, but I believe in an America where we are allowed to take risks.

And no one tells folks they MUST have a Realtor to buy.
But, if you want to see or buy a property that someone has engaged me to sell, I WILL be involved in the process, just as I contracted to do.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:10 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Yes and no...(let me explain)

The MLS was created by the brokerages in order to share properties they had listed. It was and is a highly successful venue to help sell properties and share listing information. First there was the book, then came the website.

Next came increased popularity of the internet and it became the powerwave of the technology era. The tech area has ushered in the ease of information gathering on the world wide web. It created a sense of entitlement to information.

Real estate has evolved and adapted into less of a sales model and more of a consultation model. This is just as valuable as the old method because many do not know enough about real estate in all aspects to go through an entire search to close without guidance. However, in an attempt to allow information access Realtor.com was created.

Realtor.com is functional if not fully evolved. From a safety standpoint to the seller we cannot release certain information where anyone can find it. It would also be imprudent to agents, as all too often unscrupulous buyers and sellers would abuse the system. If the government gets involved it will probably try to open access to the MLS, which again was created by and for the brokerages to share listings with each other but not the general public. It's not so much trying to hoard information so much as trying to protect the seller and the business model.

Real estate, if the government gets involved, could indeed go the way of the travel agent and the airline. There are several things that could harm the business including allowing banks into real estate. Ultimately, when a buyer is motivated enough, they will call an agent to see a home. That agent will then show them all homes meeting their criteria and then the buyer will select one and be guided to closing.

Information is wonderful and the consumer can educate them self but their is no replacement for experience. To some degree, limiting access is protecting the masses from themselves. There are buyers that can handle it themselves, but there are many more who can't. Buyers don't know what they don't know.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:24 PM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
105 posts, read 71,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Yes and no...(let me explain)

The MLS was created by the brokerages in order to share properties they had listed. It was and is a highly successful venue to help sell properties and share listing information. First there was the book, then came the website.

Next came increased popularity of the internet and it became the powerwave of the technology era. The tech area has ushered in the ease of information gathering on the world wide web. It created a sense of entitlement to information.

Real estate has evolved and adapted into less of a sales model and more of a consultation model. This is just as valuable as the old method because many do not know enough about real estate in all aspects to go through an entire search to close without guidance. However, in an attempt to allow information access Realtor.com was created.

Realtor.com is functional if not fully evolved. From a safety standpoint to the seller we cannot release certain information where anyone can find it. It would also be imprudent to agents, as all too often unscrupulous buyers and sellers would abuse the system. If the government gets involved it will probably try to open access to the MLS, which again was created by and for the brokerages to share listings with each other but not the general public. It's not so much trying to hoard information so much as trying to protect the seller and the business model.

Real estate, if the government gets involved, could indeed go the way of the travel agent and the airline. There are several things that could harm the business including allowing banks into real estate. Ultimately, when a buyer is motivated enough, they will call an agent to see a home. That agent will then show them all homes meeting their criteria and then the buyer will select one and be guided to closing.

Information is wonderful and the consumer can educate them self but their is no replacement for experience. To some degree, limiting access is protecting the masses from themselves. There are buyers that can handle it themselves, but there are many more who can't. Buyers don't know what they don't know.
Moderator cut: personal attack again

I work in IT. At least half of you here have no idea how to actually build a personal computer.

While technically not my area of the business anymore, it's something I could do for money if I chose to.

Should those in my profession be hording information and restricting access to it because it works against our best interests?

Should we keep the technical information under wraps in order to protect those "power users" who still have no idea what they're doing, but know enough to be dangerous?

Should we force anyone who wants to even OWN a personal computer to pass a test? One could cause a lot more trouble with a PC than they can MLS access, that much I'm sure of.

That argument holds about as much water as the levy in New Orleans.

I agree with one thing you said, and I truly think it's all you're worried about. Much like travel agents, RE agents will soon be a thing of the past.

It's only a matter of time.

There is absolutely no reason why someone NEEDS an agent if they have access to the same tools.

Last edited by Marka; 01-04-2008 at 04:30 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 09:28 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticalGab View Post

I work in IT. At least half of you here have no idea how to actually build a personal computer.

While technically not my area of the business anymore, it's something I could do for money if I chose to.

Should those in my profession be hording information and restricting access to it because it works against our best interests?

Should we keep the technical information under wraps in order to protect those "power users" who still have no idea what they're doing, but know enough to be dangerous?

Should we force anyone who wants to even OWN a personal computer to pass a test? One could cause a lot more trouble with a PC than they can MLS access, that much I'm sure of.

That argument holds about as much water as the levy in New Orleans.

I agree with one thing you said, and I truly think it's all you're worried about. Much like travel agents, RE agents will soon be a thing of the past.

It's only a matter of time.

There is absolutely no reason why someone NEEDS an agent if they have access to the same tools.
If you have a business model of building computers that works for you and makes you money, by all means you should be hoarding the information and secrets you have. And by all means, if you are working on my computer, you should keep my files private. And don't you pretty much have to go to school to work on computers? I don't know a lot of people who just picked it up one afternoon.

Are you for real?

Last edited by Marka; 01-04-2008 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM

Location: On another site. This one is lame :) Trying to give it a second chance though.
105 posts, read 71,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
If you have a business model of building computers that works for you and makes you money, by all means you should be hoarding the information and secrets you have. And by all means, if you are working on my computer, you should keep my files private. And don't you pretty much have to go to school to work on computers? I don't know a lot of people who just picked it up one afternoon.

Are you for real?
Quite a few thousand afternoons, but no, no comp-sci degree here. Didn't need it.

So what you're saying is keeping the MLS private is to protect the business model. I know that's the case, I just get irritated when I see things like "we're protecting people from themselves". If that isn't cheap salesman talk I don't know what is.

Hey, I wouldn't expect you guys to launch a campaign to dilute your job security. Just don't expect me to believe keeping the information out of my hands is meant in any way to help me, lol.

I hate to see anyone have trouble at work, but it is what it is. It's going to happen, sooner or later. Information will become more readily available, states will simplify forms to avoid having to use an attorney or agent, and of course, when everyone stops using agents, we no longer worry about our house not being shown because it's a FSBO.

You think I LIKE watching people spend hours fixing something on a server or even within an application that I can fix in 20 minutes and charge them an hour for? That's why I got out of the technical side of things professionally. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

..and no, I wouldn't get into IT services as my own business. Too much aggravation, not enough money.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:48 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I must disagree.

There are several issues that are often overlooked by those who make similiar comments as yours. Not the least of which is, the issue of security.

Most sellers do not want "just anyone" knowing their address, telephone numbers, when they are out, gate codes etc - an "open" MLS as you suggest would actually make it more dangerous for sellers.

Hence why the information on the "public side" of the MLS is filtered the way it is
I think the issue for most people would be the address of the listing. Which, it must be noted is available on a pretty high percentage of public MLS sites. The people who appear annoyed seem to be in areas where the address is hidden.

I can understand that - many times a home will be on a street or in a neighbourhood that is not of interest, or in a part of town the buyer doesn't want to be in. Many other people appear to want the opportunity to have a quick drive-by to get a feel for the property and neighbours without bothering an agent for the info, rather than turn up for a showing and have to go through the motions all the while knowing that this just isn't the house for them.
Without a sellers agent wanting to be there to make a pitch, I would actually assume that this is in the interest of most agents too as it would save a serious amount of time. Sellers would also know that potential buyers who actually request a showing would probably be a bit more serious.

I don't think anyone actually wants the personal info of the seller or lockbox codes or anything else (except for criminals) or expects that to be available on an open forum.

As someone upthread mentioned, the big "For Sale" sign is a pretty big indication that there is info out there. If I want to know about a house I pass, I could just go to the town listing or the agents website to see pictures of the inside. So I definitely DON'T buy the "listing the address would compromise the sellers security" argument. And if I was a thief looking to case the joint, it would be pretty easy to arrange a showing and have an actual tour guide show me around. In this market it's not as if the house would be sold a couple of days later and the occupants gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals