Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 08:44 PM

680 posts, read 1,921,096 times

Advertisements

Tried to do a quick search and wasn't able to find an answer, so hoping someone local/regional might have some insights.

We are thinking about putting up one of our properties up for sale and have been dilly dallying along about whether we want to rent it/update it even more-sell/etc... anyhow it's now basically December.

The house is in move-in condition but it does have some older elements like late 90's wallpaper and some brass faucets. However, we could potentially list it tomorrow if needed.

I keep hearing December is one of the "worst" months to sell... it's winter/the holidays/spending time with family/spending money on presents/etc....

Does Florida (Orlando area if you want to get specific) suffer from the same issues?

The home is in an upscale gated golf course community with custom homes and an A-rated school district, and I believe it should attract attention on it's own once it's listed on the MLS.

Of course one could say that there is buyer for every house, it just depends on the price.... but I want that price to be as "high" as possible.

With all the investor/foreign/snow-bird/etc. types of buyers we get in the area, does the month really matter?

Thanks!

Last edited by volk2k; 11-28-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 09:32 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,764 times
no. Investors and vacationers are always looking for a deal.
You don't have weather that prevents people from shopping.

Don't try to time the market. Just list it already.
Every day you delay means an investor's dollars are going to ANOTHER person's house.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:27 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Investors don't normally pay "high" dollars for houses.

Depending on your house sq. ft., number of bed/bath, and price you might get more showing.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:05 PM

47 posts, read 87,702 times
I say list it. Worst case scenario you don't get any offers by end of Jan. and you pull it until spring time. PM Me if you need a discount Orlando realtor.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:47 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
in Orlando 10 of my fav. homes sold on thanksgiving weekend.

Old 12-01-2014, 04:59 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
I agree with everyone else. List it. Even if there aren't a lot of homes for sale because people think it's not a good time to sell, that's an advantage for you, because there is a shortage of supply. But I'm in TX, and here, as in FL, our home sales are less seasonal. Yesterday it was 80 degrees. The worst thing that happens is it doesn't sell and you wait a while.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
December is good vs other areas. The snowbirds are flocking south, and are now looking to buy. Came early this year, with agents telling me they are very busy. The selling season is November through April whereas in the cold states, that is the slow season.

I would suggest replacing the carpet, new bath fixtures. Inexpensive, quick updates and should make selling easier. Go with a neutral carpet, a lower end carpet with thicker pad.

Let your agent give you ideas but you want to get it on the market quickl.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:28 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,046,764 times
I'm in socal, and my seller wanted to take his home off the market and wait to relist in spring.

I told him no, we get no snow. It's misinformation you hear about december being a bad time.

In my area, we have homes that sit on the market for 6 months, and eventually sell for close to asking price, so time is not really a factor.

When I send MLS listings to customers, I send all active listings, old and new, so listings don't really grow stale here.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:33 AM

10 posts, read 52,952 times
Just make it listed it will be better for you because not listing your property soon can make you wait for some more time and loose some investor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals