Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 PM

506 posts, read 2,276,833 times

Advertisements

The Tips Please Keep Them Coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 24 days ago)

43,178 posts, read 76,845,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
How does your organic rank show up with those sites like wordpress? I've tried to improve my SEO as I go along but it's competitive.
I don't have much problem.

It ebbs and flows.
But I don't have a team, just little ol' me, so a couple hundred contacts a year is good enough.

I think I have a pretty good grasp of key words, etc. And Wordpress and composing on Windows Live Writer gives me access to Technorati. Tagging/Technorati brings results.

If anything, the weak link is me, and generating content with disciplined regularity.
Google likes persistence.

I have been interviewed on the phone and quoted in BusinessWeek.com (Most Affordable Suburbs) and Inman News on the interest rate reset freeze. Also had photos printed in another article. None of them found me in the Yellow Pages...

When I was blogging heavy on the local property tax reassessment, all you had to do was google "Wake County Property Taxes" and I may have had 4 or 5 slots on the first page of results, from 4 or 5 diferent sites. It is easy. Time-consuming, but easy.

I think it is very easy to overthink SEO. Content, keywords, and visibility get it done.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,921,170 times
Has blogging been the biggest boost to your SEO?

Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Has blogging been the biggest boost to your SEO?

Well, yes. But also, I have worked hardest at it.
For some time I was #4 in North Carolina in points on Active Rain.
Slacked off.
Busy real estatin', you know?
Fixin' to make a comeback on AR...

Old 01-03-2008, 09:28 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,131,482 times
I use Z57, which is a template site, but gives you the capability to easily customize it to the extreme. The cost, depending on what options you want was approximately $600 for set-up and $80 per month.
This is what I look for in a web site:
  • MLS property search capability
  • Easy WYSIWYG customization
  • Lead capture
  • Unlimited pages
  • Bonus feeds to Inman News, community reports, or school information
  • Automatic listing submission to other Internet sites, such as Trulia, Yahoo, Google Base, etc.
  • Extensive web site traffic statistics
  • Contact management
  • Automated drip-mail campaigns

Hope you'll let us know what venue you eventually go with.

Sandy

Old 01-03-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
I use Z57, which is a template site, but gives you the capability to easily customize it to the extreme. The cost, depending on what options you want was approximately $600 for set-up and $80 per month.
This is what I look for in a web site:
  • MLS property search capability
  • Easy WYSIWYG customization
  • Lead capture
  • Unlimited pages
  • Bonus feeds to Inman News, community reports, or school information
  • Automatic listing submission to other Internet sites, such as Trulia, Yahoo, Google Base, etc.
  • Extensive web site traffic statistics
  • Contact management
  • Automated drip-mail campaigns
Hope you'll let us know what venue you eventually go with.

Sandy
Sandy,
Can you host that site under your own domain name, or do you need to redirect from your domain to a Z57 domain?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:31 PM

9 posts, read 56,796 times
Default Cheap

If you want to do it yourself, cheap and basic ...

If you have AOL, go to keyword Easy Designer. It's a great program for designing a website. Very easy to use once you get the hang of it. Then go to somehwere like directnic.com, register a URL for yourself and redirect your AOL page. It costs $15 a year.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giadddsc View Post
If you want to do it yourself, cheap and basic ...

If you have AOL, go to keyword Easy Designer. It's a great program for designing a website. Very easy to use once you get the hang of it. Then go to somehwere like directnic.com, register a URL for yourself and redirect your AOL page. It costs $15 a year.
Redirection is crippling to SEO.
The search engines will not find the desired page.
Metatags on the homepage will be invisible.

I have directNic also. They are all right. But there are more robust hosting solutions out there, and IMO worth more investment.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:26 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,579,863 times
What great timing! I did a thorough cost benefit analysis last February. I looked into the major CMS and also into DIY using open source and canned templates.

I ultimately decided to pay for the CMS and let the experts do the development work so I could sell real estate. In a previous life, I developed websites, so letting go was difficult.

IMO, it's regularly updated content that is most important. My site is ~$400 per year which includes hosting.

Today's "new and exciting" tools are podcasting, vod/vid casting, blogging, and mobile web.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 01-04-2008 at 06:39 AM..

Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,921,584 times
I have used citymax.com. So very very simple, even I (with my limited skills) could put together a great looking site easy peasy. I liked it best because it was already set up to accept paypal and paypal credit card processing and I have no time or skill to figure it out on my own. It costs $19.99 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals