Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:55 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
If you are only going to ask for 2 hrs notice I wouldn't even mention it on the listing. When a call comes in for scheduling just let the agent know what time you're available to show and they'll work around it.
I like that idea because if the 2 hours is on there they may not bother calling, whereas they will probably accept it if they call. I left you a rep but hit the button before signing my name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:54 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi,

I wanted to know if it's okay or standard or not to ask to give notice before showing a home?
Thanks!
In my market in Austin TX, most of our listings are listed as "Call and Go", which means we call and leave a message (if no answer) or tell the home owner we will be coming at such and such time. There is no standard call-ahead time, but I think it's generally thought that at least an hour is reasonable.

On a typical tour of 12 to 15 listings with a buyer, I normally expect to be unable to show 2 or 3 of them due to the seller not wanting it to be shown, wanting an exact time, etc. In those instances I'll try to be flexible but often it boils down to "do you want me to show it or scratch it off the list?"

Yesterday one lady said she just got home and was too tired to leave the house again, so we couldn't show it. Another said her kid was eating and there was spagetti everywhere and she would rather not show the home. Another guy said his wife was taking a shower and would then be taking a nap, so we would only be able to see the downstairs.

I try to not make sarcastic comments, but it's hard. Some people are simply not properly motivated to sell their home.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:06 PM

2,636 posts, read 7,431,255 times
In my area, it's usually call list office to register then leave message at owners home phone or call their cell. I do things a little different because I don't like other agents calling my seller. The buyers agent calls my office to register, then calls me for appointment and if I know the seller works then i say ok, any doubt I call the seller and call back the other agent.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,388,986 times
1 hour notice is usually normal, and the listing agent takes full control and should know your preference, clearly understood from the beginning, especially when small children are involved. B . S about missing sells, as if you have it priced according to what the market bears, then that usually is the quickest and best way to sell. Rarely do you have a missed sell, from not being able to show. If a buyer likes the home, they will work in accordance to your schedule. Houses sell because of price, and location.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Rarely do you have a missed sell, from not being able to show.
Absolutely, positively incorrect. I've had many, many instances of out of town buyers in town for only a day or two. Such was the case both yesterday and the day before. They do NOT make offers on homes they cannot see, and they are not going to fly back into town to view the home at a time that better suits the seller's nap time or housekeeping schedule.

In my market, you're nothing short of a fool of a seller to obstruct the showing of your home for trivial reasons. Seller's should arrange their lives in a way that allows for the greatest accomodation of showings and that invites as many showings as possible.

The above is not just an opinion, I've actually run the stats on it in our MLS, comparing the performance of homes that sold with "Call and Go" versus those with "Appt w/ Agent" or "Appt w/ Owner". The Call and Go listings sell faster and for more.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:00 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanbob View Post
1 hour notice is usually normal, and the listing agent takes full control and should know your preference, clearly understood from the beginning, especially when small children are involved. B . S about missing sells, as if you have it priced according to what the market bears, then that usually is the quickest and best way to sell. Rarely do you have a missed sell, from not being able to show. If a buyer likes the home, they will work in accordance to your schedule. Houses sell because of price, and location.
If a buyer can't see the home, they'll go to the next home, and not bother with this one.

This is a Buyers market and there are too many homes on the market for buyers to mess around with one that's difficult to see, no matter what the price.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:29 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
Thanks everyone for all the responses!

We will be very flexible and keep our home kept-up as much as possible on top of it. I just want the home to look real nice for all the showings but if someone flew in or something and decided to look at homes in our price range and has to look at it now because they have to fly back out or something soon, then by all means I will show my home. I won't deny anyone from seeing my home. If someone wants to see my home (hour or not) they will be able to see it. I just wish I got a hour at least to straighted up stuff and get my animals situated.

In my perfect world. We would not be living in the home while it is for sale and we would have it set up nicely (staged). But, back to realty. We have to live in it.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:30 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,021,727 times
because I have 2 large dogs and I work an hour from home I asked for 24 hours notice during the week but had my agent add flexible on weekends. I just can't leave work at a moments notice to drive an hour home to get the dogs out of the house for a showing during the week. I do have a back up plan just in case I get a last minute must show the house in an hour during the week showing.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:03 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,341,443 times
We also have our house up for sale and are living in it. We have a dog.
We normally get at least a couple hours notice before a showing but we told our agent that whether we answer the phone or not, to go ahead and show it.
We keep the house clean as we can before we leave in case someone wants to see it. The dog may be inside or outside, depending on the weather and circumstances.
The thing to do is keep your house as clean and uncluttered as possible in case you do get someone unexpectantly.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Hi,

I wanted to know if it's okay or standard or not to ask to give notice before showing a home? Maybe at least a 2 hour notice? Something like that? What is an appropriate time to ask? We are going to be listing our home soon and have animals and we want to tidy up before someone comes to see the home every time.

Thanks!
Not only is it ok, but I would demand on one, at lesat 24 hours prior to a showing.

I live in my home, and while I know you shouldnt keep dishes in the sink, cups on a table, yesterdays laundry, etc when your property is for sale but more often then not there is something going on around here and if a buyer is interested in seeing my home, I want to make sure that I have things put away so they focus on the home.. not the stuff in my home, and the mess that the average family just leaves around during the daily living.

Last edited by pghquest; 01-08-2008 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals