Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 PM

104 posts, read 144,544 times

Advertisements

I read a real estate book once on buying advice. I took that book dead serious said buy in the Dead
of winter. So I waited till DEC when there was a couple foot of snow on the ground. There was an estate sale on a house and we went to see it and waded in the deep snow just to see the backyard which turns out there was nothing but a straight down steep slope beautifully wooded.

I decided I could live with that as the view was nice and private. we bought as is. I have since sold it
but I looked it up and its been sold three times over many years and every person has made money on it.
maybe that advice is good!

I should edit to say even in the market crash this house kept all the buyers afloat. Which isen't the case for a lot of homes I see around here now for sale. A lot of homeowners are making hardly anything after being in their houses several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 06:12 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
When it's snowy and cold out, generally there are fewer people looking to buy (with the possible exception of ski areas). Less competition favors Buyers, and Sellers can tend to get anxious about selling and may be more willing to deal.

In your case, however, I think the fact that you bought from an estate may have had as much to do with a good price as anything. With many estates, the heirs are just looking to be rid of the property. Provided that they are not too emotionally tied to the property, pricing may be more realistic or even to the point which indicates they just want to dump it.

I've dealt with a couple of estates which indicated the range one might encounter. In the one case, two of the three siblings who had inherited the property wanted to keep it for themselves. Negotiations for that property (a family farm) were excruciating. (It took five years, but that's another story.) In another case, the Trustee for the estate had no relationship to the deceased other than being his attorney. That property was bought for about half of the market value.

But...I see no correlation between the timing of your purchase and the profitability of the subsequent owners, provided that you sold at market value. Maybe it was just a good house.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 01-24-2015 at 06:22 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 10:09 AM

104 posts, read 144,544 times
Well I agree Jack with a lot you said. But I don't think I would have scored the deal in normal competition.
There are not a lot of people out wading in deep snow to see houses in winter. Being an estate sale certainly
was a factor on the price and relatives wanting to dump it instead of waiting for the spring buyers.

I think I got such a good price that everyone after me made a little when they sold.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
In the area where I live, the buyers are not out in the winter. There have been a few Decembers when I was literally the only buyer out there. Nobody wants to move in the winter, in this area where it is cold and might be snowy or icy.

The sellers who have their property listed during the winter really want to sell. When it is snowing or raining, you get a good chance to see if there are drainage issues. You get a chance to see how weather tight the house is.

Shop carefully, make carefully considered offers, and there is a good chance of getting a good bargain during the winter months. Well, maybe not in Florida, but in any area where weather causes difficulty in moving.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalley View Post
Well I agree Jack with a lot you said. But I don't think I would have scored the deal in normal competition.
There are not a lot of people out wading in deep snow to see houses in winter. Being an estate sale certainly
was a factor on the price and relatives wanting to dump it instead of waiting for the spring buyers.
I wasn't discounting that wintertime may have affected the price--only meant that being an estate probably helped as well. In some circles, that's known as a "Double Whammy" to the Seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals