Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 12:29 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times

Advertisements

Just curious where you see the market heading. Northern VA in particular. I just bought a home (close soon) and am just curious...My Mother-in-law is going to be looking and I am thinking she should buy soon but not if the market is still going to tank. (no crystal ball, I get that, just curious what you all think)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Hi Twin!! Long time no talk to you : ) I am in Virginia (southern) which is very different from Northern VA. Down here the market is really starting to pick up. Offers are being made and accepted. I am looking forward to a robust Spring market. I would suspect that the fall and next spring would be very interesting in your neck of the woods... as there is a new election. Gotta get the new politico's in and get the old ones out. If we change from republican to democrat..... even more so. that means homes, etc will be changing as the influence changes.

but hopefully an agent that is correctly working that area will chime in. I have a friend that works up there, he is on here sometimes as paxboater... I will ask him to look for this thread and join in.

Shelly

Old 01-10-2008, 12:51 PM

Hey Shelly! Haven't seen you around!
Thanks for your info. It's weird, and maybe it is just me, but it seems like something are starting to go under contract here as well. The strangest thing for me is that there have not been many new homes in the area (Ashburn in particular) coming onto the market. I thought for sure January would bring a bunch of them. In the price range I was looking at I think about 5 have come on, 2 of which were under contract and then fell through. It is early Jan though, so maybe Feb will bring more. Or maybe just people are riding it out and not selling. A LOT of the homes in my price range when we were looking were short sales.
ANyway, hope you are well and glad to hear things are picking up in your neck of the woods.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 PM

26 posts, read 102,586 times
Hey Shelly, I got your message.

Twinmma, Ashburn, Loudoun County and other outer suburbs of the DC area were hit pretty hard. Prices have come down quite a bit and generally things are starting to move depending on the type of home, location and the three P's... price, price and price.

There's still quite a bit of inventory to work through. It's a bit early for the spring market, but I have seen a few new listings come online.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:50 PM

thanks!
we bought our home for $525K for a single family and I think we got an okay deal. The seller lost $25K but we lost that much selling our home in PA, so it was a wash for us. I just don't know if my MIL should buy just yet...although she is looking at adult communities and I don't think they were affected as much, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. I am hoping she will not rush and buy in Feb and will wait until the summer when she needs to move.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
Twinmma: Did you happen to see the thread below? It rolled off the first page and onto the second.

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...d-you-buy.html

I found it very interesting in terms of a realtor's rationale for buying/selling in this market.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-11-2008, 07:14 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
Hi Twin!! Long time no talk to you : ) I am in Virginia (southern) which is very different from Northern VA. Down here the market is really starting to pick up. Offers are being made and accepted. I am looking forward to a robust Spring market. I would suspect that the fall and next spring would be very interesting in your neck of the woods... as there is a new election. Gotta get the new politico's in and get the old ones out. If we change from republican to democrat..... even more so. that means homes, etc will be changing as the influence changes.

but hopefully an agent that is correctly working that area will chime in. I have a friend that works up there, he is on here sometimes as paxboater... I will ask him to look for this thread and join in.

Shelly
Shelly welcome back! It's been a long time since you've been on here. It's official for john and I we're moving to VA. We gave up on living in NC and working in VA. Housing hunting as I type. Our relocation company set us up with an agent (I would have picked you if I had a choice). Sorry twin, I don't mean to hijack your post.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingatwork View Post
Shelly welcome back! It's been a long time since you've been on here. It's official for john and I we're moving to VA. We gave up on living in NC and working in VA. Housing hunting as I type. Our relocation company set us up with an agent (I would have picked you if I had a choice). Sorry twin, I don't mean to hijack your post.
Hi surfing!! good to see you!! And darn!! I wish I had known. Usually your referral company will allow you to work with your first choice agent IF they are relocation trained and certified (I am) and willing to live by their rules.... Just so you know for the future and anyone else out there... so you get to use your choice of real estate agent....

Thanks for thinking of me though, and let me know if you need anything in the area!!

Shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals