U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 PM

403 posts, read 550,807 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am in community college now. After talking with my mom and going to a few real estate conferences I decided that I really am interested in real estate.

What would be the best way for me to go into the real estate business? I'm not sure if I want to be a real estate agent or broker, but I definitely am very interested in investing in real estate at the very least.

I am also interested in finance and marketing. Would those be good majors if I'm interested in at the very least investing in real estate? I assume it's best to get at least a four-year degree, right?

Any four year colleges I should look into that have a good real estate program? I live in the Inland Empire of Ca, is it best to stay local because of my mom? Should I consider a master's degree as well?

Is it best to work in corporate to get real world experience before diving into real estate? Should I consider a master's as well? I also feel like people wouldn't take me as seriously since I'm so young and don't have any real world experience. I guess I could always do real estate on the side while working for a few years?

Also my mom is a real estate broker too. She has been the business for only about 10 years, but she's been successful. Is there anything I could do now? I am taking a real estate principles class that starts in April. I don't know what I can do now since I don't know that much about real estate but I'm very eager to learn. I know I have an advantage since my mom is a broker, but how can I take advantage of that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:34 AM

11,652 posts, read 32,609,291 times
Read "The Millionaire Real Estate Agent" by Gary Keller. Then follow that with "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor" by Gary Keller.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:45 PM

10,574 posts, read 20,577,960 times
And find a successful team to work with. They'll have training, support, and leads for you.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Read "The Millionaire Real Estate Agent" by Gary Keller. Then follow that with "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor" by Gary Keller.
Ok I will definitely read those books! Thanks!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
And find a successful team to work with. They'll have training, support, and leads for you.
Do you mean a company? Would my mom count as a successful team? She has her own real estate business.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:27 PM

147 posts, read 196,866 times
1. You don't need a degree to do anything with real estate. It's one of those "great equalizer" professions where your wits, salesmanship, tact and actual intelligence mean something, and $100K pieces of paper mean jack. If your uber-successful mommy is paying your way in school - have at it, go with finance, not marketing, and work as a real estate assistant on the side. If you're picking up debt for a degree, stop now.

2. Never, and this goes for a bunch of scenarios in life, never mix business and family. Mixing friends and business is bad enough, family you're stuck with. Do not work for your mom.

3. There is no such thing as part time sales.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:29 AM

4,567 posts, read 9,990,593 times
Degrees mean nothing in real estate sales. Only thing that is required in most states is a high school diploma or GED. You are either a good salesperson or your not. No amount of school will change that. Going to school and being a part time real estate agent isnt going to earn you much income. You might even loose money with monthly real estate related fees.

You are correct, they will not take you seriously because you are so young. You will have to prove yourself every day. People you are buying/selling houses to will not care that you have a degree.

I disagree, working for your mother would be a great start. You can talk about deals at the dinner table. Great mentor. But remember, she will take the good commissions and leave you with the scraps until you develop your own reputation.

Go take the real estate test tomorrow and become licensed. See how you like it. You could start selling real estate in a matter of days.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:41 AM
Status: "Making the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 29 days ago)

40,775 posts, read 70,664,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewme18 View Post
Hi everyone. I am in community college now. After talking with my mom and going to a few real estate conferences I decided that I really am interested in real estate.

What would be the best way for me to go into the real estate business? I'm not sure if I want to be a real estate agent or broker, but I definitely am very interested in investing in real estate at the very least.

I am also interested in finance and marketing. Would those be good majors if I'm interested in at the very least investing in real estate? I assume it's best to get at least a four-year degree, right?

Any four year colleges I should look into that have a good real estate program? I live in the Inland Empire of Ca, is it best to stay local because of my mom? Should I consider a master's degree as well?

Is it best to work in corporate to get real world experience before diving into real estate? Should I consider a master's as well? I also feel like people wouldn't take me as seriously since I'm so young and don't have any real world experience. I guess I could always do real estate on the side while working for a few years?

Also my mom is a real estate broker too. She has been the business for only about 10 years, but she's been successful. Is there anything I could do now? I am taking a real estate principles class that starts in April. I don't know what I can do now since I don't know that much about real estate but I'm very eager to learn. I know I have an advantage since my mom is a broker, but how can I take advantage of that?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Learn how money works while you are young, and you will be ahead of the pack.
If you are interested in finance and marketing, get a business degree. Once you have that, no one can take it away from you. The MBA would be less important.
You are at an age where you can lay groundwork for a very successful life. Put the basics in place. You are fairly articulate in your posts, and good study in college should help you be even better.

As far as working with your mom, be honest with yourself. Is it a good open and resilient relationship?
Some people work with family and make a great life for themselves.
Some wreck their personal lives when mixing business and family.
Have you talked with Mom about it, and what does she have to say?

And, if college is out of reach for some reason at this time, yes, you can succeed in real estate without a degree.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 AM

11,652 posts, read 32,609,291 times
I think you can develop better skills to prepare you for a sales/consulting career if you get a degree first.

Can you be successful without one, yes. All things being equal, a few more years of life experience can only help you.

I was a property manager at 19, supported myself through college. I was licensed at 24, with a liberal arts degree in Theatre. I became a broker in 1994. I help nice folks day after day, buy & sell property.

My 23 year old son wants to get his license this year. With all the knowledge Mom has to support him, he will be great. And when I am ready to retire, he will be ready to take over the family business.

Also read "Hug Your Customers" by Jack Mitchell.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:54 AM

15,205 posts, read 37,975,620 times
All the really good agents in my area have a degree of some kind. It varies greatly what that is in, but I can't think of a single good agent in my area that didn't go to college. College is a time to mature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals